• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Battery charger meltdown

Yesterday I caught a whiff of something burning and discovered my old 12v Milwaukee drill battery charger to be the culprit. 1 battery had not been holding a charge lately. The batteries are about 2 years old. The charger was just before melting down, very hot, and the battery is toast. After it cooled down I tried the other battery in it and it does not seem to be charging, just getting hot. To the trash it goes, I'm out of Milwaukee business now. This just makes me more cautiously, unplugging just about everything when I leave the shop. I haven't been unplugging the battery chargers...... Good practice or bad?
    capncarl
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Unplugging is always the safest (and what my grandparents generation did with expensive things as tv's). Nowdays, so many things have to be reprogramed if unplugged, it is a pain sometimes.
    Another option that isn't as safe, but more commonly used now, is putting your stuff on a power strip. I've seen plans for chargers on a power strip, with a timer.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• beetee3
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • The Sunshine State

You might want to reach out to Milwaukee to see if they are interested in doing a postmortem on the charger and battery. Any fault that could cause a fire should be of concern to them in case a product recall is warranted.

Comment

• All Thumbs
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Penn Hills, PA
        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I'd suggest reporting this unit as a possible unsafe product so it is investigated. We don't want other woodworkers' houses burning down in the middle of the night.

Comment

Working...