hammered
    31.91%
    cracked/wrinkled
    0.00%
    stone
    0.00%
    other texture (specify)
    4.26%
    wood grain or other (contact paper/appliqué; specify)
    0.00%
    stencil (specify design)
    0.00%
    space scene (simple)
    6.38%
    sunburst
    0.00%
    tie dye
    8.51%
    checkered flag/chessboard
    0.00%
    racing stripes
    2.13%
    flames (may be beyond my skill set)
    2.13%
    Last edited by I saw that!; 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Combine the theme of the BT3000 and BT3100 and label it the BT3200. Post pictures of here and freak eveyone out
    Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Well if you're intent on restoring your saw/repainting it, I'd probably stick with either the original paint scheme or else get it to match your other stationary tools.... but that's just me or course.

Regarding paint, I personally would want to stay away from most textures, as I think dust would cling more to any texture.
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

While I'm normally a traditionalist, I voted for the hammered finish. I use the Rustoleum hammered gray enamal on most metal and some wood in my shop and it is a really tough finish and does a great job protecting metal in the summer high humidity we get here.
        Chr's

Comment

• mmcmac
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by I saw that!
          There's some wear of the paint at spots on the angle gauge slot. Should I try to remove the label (hair dryer?) or just do the best I can with masking it off? I fear causing creases during removal.
          You may be able to release the label via heptane such that the adhesive coating is reusable. I've had fair success doing so elsewhere but it isn't necessairly guaranteed. Alternatively you could dissolve the adhesive with lacquer thinner however that can be a bit of a mess and in this case will involve removal of all original adhesive coat and reapplication of new adhesive. Note, contact with unintended surfaces should be avoided with the above solvents

About the only scenarios requiring removal of the label would be if sandblasting and/or powder coating the panels which in fact seems a reasonable approach. IIRC the panels should fit in a cast off conventional size kitchen oven and a powdercoat finish is one of the most durable and quick turn-around options. If I were going to spray a finish I'd just mask and match to the OEM color. I might be tempted though to add a trace of silicone oil to the paint in order to give a hammered texture which tends to hide wear and battle scars considerably better than a smooth finish.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

That you even included tie-die says that would fit you.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              That you even included tie-die says that would fit you.
              LOL! Some things do tell on us!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

I vote for Candy Apple Red. (Actually I did not vote -- Candy Apple Red was mysteriously left off the choices ...)

But the hammered paint option is cool. I painted a toolbox in hammered metallic green. The paint covers blemishes pretty well, so surface prep is easier, no need to fuss over trying to make it pristine.
                Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I care less about the paint and more about the function. (a friend of mine who rebuilds stuff, mostly uses machine grey as it is what he has around, I use spray paint from a damaged goods store where I have gotten deals on cans)
                  But I saw the list and had to laugh after talking to a friend. I hope racing stripes didn't mean white with a brown streak.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by I saw that!
                    I know/think you were being facetious, but Candy Apple Red can probably be done with Plasti Dip. It's available in red, clear and these enhancers. They even have kits for creating desired colors.
                    Also, I've read about people successfully using metal flake additives with Plasti Dip.
                    A person could probably achieve a reasonable CA Red with the above ingredients.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carbon fiber, which seems popular on just about everything these days.
                    Just noticed this thread popped up again, and I forgot about the Candy Apple Red suggestion. But half-serious. When I was at HP, we custom painted some new PCs in orange and black -- they were a gift to Harley-Davidson, a big customer. They looked nice. I also seem to recall one done in black, with a flame job on it.

So, I again urge you to consider Candy Apple Red ...
                    Lee

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I would have to go with a single color finish. From a rattle can, I have found the Rustoleum Hammered finishes to be very durable.

When I restored my 8 ' jointer I sprayed it with Rust Scat Battleship Grey. It has held up better than any rattle can paint I have ever used.

Easy-to-use, quick drying paint trusted by painters and homeowners for more than 50 years.

The web sit lists 15 dealer locations in the Houston Area.

As to the poll, I checked other, leaning toward a smooth high gloss finish in your choice of color.
                      Last edited by Pappy; 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...