• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Basement Shop?

I putter around my garage/shop most of the year but the cold and the need to park both cars inside in the winter has me thinking about a secondary basement shop. I can see a Paulk bench and some power tools as a viable option. My question for anyone in a similar situation is how does it work for you and any pro's or con's. Right off the bat I can see the tool relocation and transport as a down side or the cost of some duplication of tools. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • Biolite
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2014

I have a similar situation. I keep my table saw in the garage, but down in the basement is where I have the rest of my woodshop. I have a RAS down there that does most small/med piece cutting. It's a pain carrying stuff back and forth, but it works. I mainly keep mechanic tools in the garage for car work and more wood tools in the basement, there is some duplication with your basic wrenches, screw drivers, etc. I am working on getting a more permanent bench in the garage at some point though.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I would love a basement shop for the convenience of not being in the cold/heat. My primary concerns, though, would be noise to upstairs living spaces (but I typically don't make noise during "off" hours now), ceiling height, isolation of dust from the HVAC system, isolation of solvent smells to the upstairs living spaces, and difficulty in moving sheet goods and large pieces up and down the stairs.

My WWing teacher at Palomar ran a cabinet making business out of his basement shop. The thing going for him, though, was that he had a walk out basement and his driveway sloped down to the back door so loading and unloading large pieces wasn't a big deal. His ceilings were barely 8' high and there were a lot of support columns, but he made it work for him.

Me personally, my basement shop would have to be a walk out basement.

Comment

• Neal
        Established Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
        • Ryobi BT3000

Heck I'd settle for a basement, and a two car garage. Right now, I share my shop with my wife's car, and there is no basement. She frowns upon the making of sawdust in the garage due to the dust, so I'm limited to driveway work.

It is all of about 7 degrees today.

I'm at least a month away from any type of sawdust making.

I think you could frame off an area of the basement, put an air cleaner in that area to catch the loose airborn dust, and things would be OK as long as the rest of the residents can tolerate the noise.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

My shop is in the basement. Most of the shop's I know of, are in the basement. My neighbor's shop, is a 10x10' space, that is tented off with tarps, to keep the dust out of the furnace (an important consideration). In that space he has a BT (bought on my recommendation), and a HF sliding miter saw setup. He has a router table hanging on the wall, that he uses with a workmate style base and a 3HP Hitachi router. Hand tool work can be done there, or over in another section of the basement where he has a workbench.
          When I started using the EZ system, I pretty well stopped using the tablesaw. I am thinking of buying the Sawstop portable saw, for the few times that I find a saw handy, and my work schedule (try to avoid working tired) and using it outside. But the EZ system, or for that matter, any circular saw, can be considered a powered version of a hand saw, like the prior generations used, before power tools. (you need to think differently) I would recommend a good bench and hand tool work down there and consider using the garage shop for large work (break down sheets, general prep/dusty work) and finishing if the project is big (keep the smells from being spread by the furnace). Also look at dust collection at the tool (shop vac, dust deputy/Thien setups) The hand tool part, isn't so dusty (but consider building a sanding station/dust filtration system), but sanding something will be.
          The downside for me, is my workshop is a lot less of fine woodworking, and more about building things that I need, that won't be forever (using pocket screws instead of dovetails, because I may not use in 8 years). I figured I enjoy it, and maybe in retirement, I will eventually build "heirloom" pieces.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            My shop is in the basement. Most of the shop's I know of, are in the basement. My neighbor's shop, is a 10x10' space, that is tented off with tarps, to keep the dust out of the furnace (an important consideration). In that space he has a BT (bought on my recommendation), and a HF sliding miter saw setup. He has a router table hanging on the wall, that he uses with a workmate style base and a 3HP Hitachi router. Hand tool work can be done there, or over in another section of the basement where he has a workbench.
            When I started using the EZ system, I pretty well stopped using the tablesaw. I am thinking of buying the Sawstop portable saw, for the few times that I find a saw handy, and my work schedule (try to avoid working tired) and using it outside. But the EZ system, or for that matter, any circular saw, can be considered a powered version of a hand saw, like the prior generations used, before power tools. (you need to think differently) I would recommend a good bench and hand tool work down there and consider using the garage shop for large work (break down sheets, general prep/dusty work) and finishing if the project is big (keep the smells from being spread by the furnace). Also look at dust collection at the tool (shop vac, dust deputy/Thien setups) The hand tool part, isn't so dusty (but consider building a sanding station/dust filtration system), but sanding something will be.
            The downside for me, is my workshop is a lot less of fine woodworking, and more about building things that I need, that won't be forever (using pocket screws instead of dovetails, because I may not use in 8 years). I figured I enjoy it, and maybe in retirement, I will eventually build "heirloom" pieces.
            Great point about furnace concerns, just had a direct vent unit installed about 3months ago. In my case I have a bad cement dust problem because of a bad pour when condo was built. This was part of the problem that caused the original furnace failure. I still need to deal with the dust problem or floor over area to be used as the shop. Partition walls and some air quality system might make this doable.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

My shop is also in the basement, which is great for the reasons that you stated... cold weather! But it does have its disadvantages and I long for the time when I can move it out to a future place on the side of my garage.

My basement is divided in half, somewhat finished on the side where I call home. One side is taken up by the furnace, hot water tank, and the laundry room. The other side is divided into two rooms, roughly 10 x 11 each with a four-foot wide doorway separating them.

In the first room I keep my RAS, floor-standing drill press, compressor, an HF tool cabinet, a couple of shelf units, and a floor to ceiling bookcase. The RAS and DP are positioned at an angle to allow feeding from the connecting room through the wide doorway (I can feed a 10 ft piece of board stock.)

The second room has my HF work bench, a lumber rack, another HF tool cabinet, three plastic storage units with a bench top, and my wheel-mounted BT3100 and Rockler router table. Also a couple of Stanley folding benchs. The last three items, are moved as needed.

Convenience is that I don't have to go far and I can be warm or cool as needed. The kitchen is right up stairs, and I have a fold-down window which allows fairly easy feed of board-stock from the driveway. Sheet stock, however, needs to be cut-down to size in the garage or driveway!

Bad points is the dust, which can easily be tracked upstairs. My wife doesn't mind the noise, but the smell of the sawdust bothers her lately and I'm pretty much shutdown. (We had a local apartment burn down a couple of years ago and since then she seems to be sensitized; before that event, the woodworking never bothered her.)

Another negative is the minimum ceiling height here in the basement.

I've been hoping to build onto the side of my garage, but finances have been a stretch the last few years as I'm still maintaining the other house. Hopefully I will be able to unburden that this year. The other challenge of course will be getting a building permit for what I want to do. We'll see how that plays out. Either way, I've got to go to the garage in some way or another if I want to do any serious wood cutting because of the smell.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• EarltheWoodbutcher
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2014
                • Tucson, AZ
                • BT 3000

Before moving to a retirement home, my shop was in the basement because of the cold, cold weather in Eastern OR. We were fortunate that it was a walk-out basement that also contained the garage. I built a small lean-to outside for the dust collector so things were reasonably quiet. I could not do work after my wife went to bed at night because the shop was under the bedroom! I loved just being able to go downstairs, not worry about heating or cooling, and go to work.

In a former house I also had a shop in a "real" basement. It was a pita because of the narrow stairs. I could not get any really big stuff up and down the stairs. But it was still great in the middle of winter!

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by bigstick509
                  I putter around my garage/shop most of the year but the cold and the need to park both cars inside in the winter has me thinking about a secondary basement shop. I can see a Paulk bench and some power tools as a viable option. My question for anyone in a similar situation is how does it work for you and any pro's or con's. Right off the bat I can see the tool relocation and transport as a down side or the cost of some duplication of tools. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
                  Mike,

I have a small basement shop (~400 square feet). I have a table saw, radial arm saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, midi-lathe with bed extension, oscillating sander, drill press, 13" planer, router table, and a 2HP cyclone DC. It is a bit crowded!

But I do love having a basement shop this time of year -- toasty warm! Watching the Paulk Workbench videos was what sold me on a getting a track saw, rather than upgrading my table saw (at least for now). I was going to build his workbench, except that I didn't really need portability. Here is what I made instead. I made it the height of my contractor-style table saw, so I now have an outfeed table instead of roller stands. And my planer will get a new cart and use the bench as the outfeed support for it on the other end. I've started adapting smaller tools to put onto this workbench as needed. I lock them down with either the tall Parf Dogs or clamps thru the 20mm holes. First tool I did this with was an arbor press that I use for assembling turned pens. Next will be my small tabletop bandsaw I use for small parts cutout.

Having said that, I'd still like to build a Paulk bench, it is such an ingenious design. I'd set it up when needed, in the garage. Hauling full sheets of plywood to the basement is not fun!

Here is my bench, plus one of the best add-ons for a shop -- a sink for cleanup.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by lrr; 02-20-2015, 01:16 AM.
                  Lee

Comment

• Carpenter96
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • Barrie ON Canada
                    • BT 3000

I used to have a basement shop when we were in a townhouse and it was about 14 x 10. I had all my tools in there but had move everything to use any of them. The main draw back was dust control . I had to clean up everything when I left the shop, including my self before entering the rest of the house. I now have an insulated 18 x 20 garage that I heat with one of the lee valley ceiling mount radiant heaters. I have an in line 120V thermostat and keep it set at 5 degrees C. I may when I retire put AC into the shop.

Regards Bob

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carpenter96
                      I heat with one of the lee valley ceiling mount radiant heaters. I have an in line 120V thermostat and keep it set at 5 degrees C. I may when I retire put AC into the shop.

Regards Bob
                      Bob, could you post a link or model number of that thermostat?

Thanks
                      Paul

Comment

• bigstick509
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Macomb, MI, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by EarltheWoodbutcher
                        Before moving to a retirement home, my shop was in the basement because of the cold, cold weather in Eastern OR. We were fortunate that it was a walk-out basement that also contained the garage. I built a small lean-to outside for the dust collector so things were reasonably quiet. I could not do work after my wife went to bed at night because the shop was under the bedroom! I loved just being able to go downstairs, not worry about heating or cooling, and go to work.

In a former house I also had a shop in a "real" basement. It was a pita because of the narrow stairs. I could not get any really big stuff up and down the stairs. But it was still great in the middle of winter!
                        Thanks for the info. Around here alot of the senior/retirement developments are putting shops on site. If I am fortunate enough to live that long I hope that will be the norm.

Mike

Comment

• bigstick509
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Macomb, MI, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by lrr
                          Mike,

I have a small basement shop (~400 square feet). I have a table saw, radial arm saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, midi-lathe with bed extension, oscillating sander, drill press, 13" planer, router table, and a 2HP cyclone DC. It is a bit crowded!

But I do love having a basement shop this time of year -- toasty warm! Watching the Paulk Workbench videos was what sold me on a getting a track saw, rather than upgrading my table saw (at least for now). I was going to build his workbench, except that I didn't really need portability. Here is what I made instead. I made it the height of my contractor-style table saw, so I now have an outfeed table instead of roller stands. And my planer will get a new cart and use the bench as the outfeed support for it on the other end. I've started adapting smaller tools to put onto this workbench as needed. I lock them down with either the tall Parf Dogs or clamps thru the 20mm holes. First tool I did this with was an arbor press that I use for assembling turned pens. Next will be my small tabletop bandsaw I use for small parts cutout.

Having said that, I'd still like to build a Paulk bench, it is such an ingenious design. I'd set it up when needed, in the garage. Hauling full sheets of plywood to the basement is not fun!

Here is my bench, plus one of the best add-ons for a shop -- a sink for cleanup.
                          Lee, as always great idea regarding mounting tools with the dogs into the 20mm grid. Another reason to push me to get the Paulk bench started.

Mike

Comment

• big tim
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                            • SawStop PCS

Here is a SketchUp image of my basement showing my shop.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete basement SketchUp Snip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	787097
                            I put a drywall ceiling in the shop. A constant 68 to 70 degrees summer or winter. Because the house in airconditioned in the summer and heated in the winter there is absolutely no problem with rust on my tools. The dust collector is installed in a corner of the laundry/storage area, ducting is 4" white PVC. (The light blue transparent ducting you see are the heating/cooling sheet metal ducts.) I installed 8, 2tube fluorescent fixtures in a 2 by 4 configuration. The walls and ceiling are painted white. The floor is a light grey vinyl sheet floor on concrete. Because of the light colors, no shadows. The stairs go to a small landing where the side door is, 4 more stairs go up from the landing to the main floor.
                            Our house is a small bungalow. Drawback of course is the relatively low ceiling, about 86" and yes getting a sheet of plywood downstairs is a bit of a struggle. But we managed to get a 6ft tall bandsaw into the shop. Proper dust control and keeping the shop clean minimizes the impact on the rest of the house, a mat at the shop door and the bottom of the stairs pretty well stops the dust from being tracked upstairs.
                            I have several 110V outlets and 3, 240V outlets in the shop.
                            Since I "built" the shop I have gone to the darkside. That's why the tablesaw image is not a BT3.
                            Hopefully these comments and image will give you some ideas for your shop.
                            Cheers,

Tim
                            Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Dang it's cold even with the shop heaters on! I came inside. I'm wondering how much of a fuss my wife would make if I setup a small shop in our basement. Problem is, that side is where all the utilities like HVAC are. I just need to rip some thin stock and cut some dadoes. I don't need a lot space. I would need a new portable TS but I've got everything else to keep me contained like a shopvac. This is for her kitchen drawer dividers anyway. Hmmm....

Comment

Working...