• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Where Will It End?

We've all been barraged with TV commercials touting condoms, sexy talking beauties selling ED treatment, lawyers shouting about every kind of lawsuits against medical companies and asbestos mfg.s. Tonight I saw my first ad by a toilet mfg. advertising their toilet was clinger and spatter proof! How low will they go? I figure that I have about as warped sense of humor as it comes but that even embarrasses me! What is next? Bugger pullers, penis pumps, breast lifts?
    capncarl
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
    We've all been barraged with TV commercials touting condoms, sexy talking beauties selling ED treatment, lawyers shouting about every kind of lawsuits against medical companies and asbestos mfg.s. Tonight I saw my first ad by a toilet mfg. advertising their toilet was clinger and spatter proof! How low will they go? I figure that I have about as warped sense of humor as it comes but that even embarrasses me! What is next? Bugger pullers, penis pumps, breast lifts?
    capncarl
    All those things are products. Not necessarily good ones but some may benefit humanity. Sexual conations (SP) aside, we all use products that we do not particularly want to discuss. As benign as dental floss is, I do not expect to hold a conversation about it's benefits with anyone other than my Dentist. Perhaps a bit with his cute assistant.

Personally I think if a product has enough extra cash to put ads on TV, then they are charging too much.
    I am not hollering for Govt regulation by any means. I do think a phishing law needs written though. Right in between the days when they legalize pot and declare a National Fishing Day for hard working Americans that actually pay taxes. My rods and reels are not getting the attention they deserve.
    Last edited by Stytooner; 03-01-2015, 09:47 PM.
    Lee

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

I am so tired of all those commercials!!!! When I was young you didn't see any of the things we are subjected to these days! I guess I'm just old but why do we have to put up with all this stuff. Is there a way we can block this @#$%!
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I'll be the last person you will hear "there ought to be a law against that". Too many laws we don't need or they won't enforce.

You would think though that corporate would think a minute about the ads and realize that people might be repulsed by them and not buy their products just because of their ads rather that because of them! We have a local Ford dealer that has a couple of old men yelling and shouting and just sounding stupid. I purchased my f150 from them before they hired these clowns, and other than the truck not meeting my expectations, I've told them I'd never buy anything from them because of their ad clowns. Wish I had the time to do the same with these TV ads.
        capncarl

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

A part of tv I do not miss. We only have Roku. Very few commercials. We watch mostly Netflix and Amazon prime streaming. I also find the ED commercials poor taste and offensive when I have seen them.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• alpha
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Owensboro, KY, USA.

I have about as warped sense of humor as it comes
            capncarl
            The sense of humor has changed in this country. The commercials are just one proof of this. Super bowl commercials? Just plain dumb! Do you ever watch any of the TV shows classified as comedy's? Dumb, repulsive, and politically correct. Name one show today that is as funny as Carol Burnett was.

Movies today are in the same category--rude, crude, and repulsive. They seem to think the more "f-bombs" they have in a movie, the better it is. I don't talk that way and have never talked that way and I don't associate with people who talk that way.

Being rude and crude is not funny--as you see in many commercials. Sometimes I just record the TV shows to avoid the commercials. Sorry about going off on a tangent, but you really struck a nerve with me.

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

This is why I absolutely love XM radio in my home. It is in the workshop, line-in to the desktop to record if I wish, on the patio and the first floor. Just music all day, no yacking.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

One of our favorite tv shows is Gold Rush, but I just cringe when a Hoffman is talking, it will be friggin this and friggin that, then it will be "dad will you lead us in prayer?" At least the producer has the decency to bleep out all the "real" cursing. Opps, didn't mean to carry this into a religious tone, just bashing TV ads.
                capncarl

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - I know your rant was broader ---- but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sex ads. Businesses compete for attention, and the price of your attention has gone up a lot. There's one theme that has never failed advertisers - sex appeal.

The barrage isn't going to end any time soon. I've seen sex ads make their way into woodworking magazines. Think about it ----- what's most likely to get the attention of a bunch of 55+ yr old men? Bob Dole knows..... With that cultural reference - you know how long this has been going on. It's not really new ----- it's just more ubiquitous.

In addition to dinging around with wood - I ride motorcycles.

I dropped most of my motorcycle subscriptions due to the tacky ads that were showing up. Why does Vance & Hines need naked woman? Come on! The only exception I'm aware of is RIDER.

Can't you see it now? Forrest Blades advertising with a Playboy Bunny? Or "Nothing comes between me and my Whiteside router bits......"

I'm no prude - sexuality has a place. The scientific literature shows it has demonstrable benefits with regards to health, longevity, sanity, etc. I just don't think that's what belongs on the throne of life.

[/rant]

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

The sexual adds have really pushed the limit. But the ones I saw yesterday by a toilet manufacturer talking about "clingers" and being "spatter proof" took me by suprise. No idea how long they have aired or if I saw the only viewing, but they are really getting bold. I don't feel that the toilet ads where they flush golf balls and all manner of stuff down are out of line and would probably sell me on their product, matter of fact I bought one and it might be because of their adds, can't remember. The ad people have crossed over the line so many times the line has been lost. Maybe the line should be a test of watching tv with your kids or grandkids and one of them sees the ads and asks what that means, if you are embarrassed or uncomfortable explaining it to them then the line has been crossed.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Poo-Pourri goes over the top for me.

I don't agree with their choice of scent, either ----- I prefer the smell of fresh sawn oak.

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                        Well - I know your rant was broader ---- but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sex ads. Businesses compete for attention, and the price of your attention has gone up a lot. There's one theme that has never failed advertisers - sex appeal.

The barrage isn't going to end any time soon. I've seen sex ads make their way into woodworking magazines. Think about it ----- what's most likely to get the attention of a bunch of 55+ yr old men? Bob Dole knows..... With that cultural reference - you know how long this has been going on. It's not really new ----- it's just more ubiquitous.

In addition to dinging around with wood - I ride motorcycles.

I dropped most of my motorcycle subscriptions due to the tacky ads that were showing up. Why does Vance & Hines need naked woman? Come on! The only exception I'm aware of is RIDER.

Can't you see it now? Forrest Blades advertising with a Playboy Bunny? Or "Nothing comes between me and my Whiteside router bits......"

I'm no prude - sexuality has a place. The scientific literature shows it has demonstrable benefits with regards to health, longevity, sanity, etc. I just don't think that's what belongs on the throne of life.

[/rant]
                        You don't need all those blooming subscriptions. Because you are a Member here, you can check out some of Pappy's pictures and get everything at once. Babes, Bikes and Boards.
                        Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

The sexual adds have really pushed the limit. But the ones I saw yesterday by a toilet manufacturer talking about "clingers" and being "spatter proof" took me by suprise. No idea how long they have aired or if I saw the only viewing, but they are really getting bold. I don't feel that the toilet ads where they flush golf balls and all manner of stuff down are out of line and would probably sell me on their product, matter of fact I bought one and it might be because of their adds, can't remember. The ad people have crossed over the line so many times the line has been lost. Maybe the line should be a test of watching tv with your kids or grandkids and one of them sees the ads and asks what that means, if you are embarrassed or uncomfortable explaining it to them then the line has been crossed.
                          And here I thought the little tidy bowl man in a row boat inside the toilet tank was tasteless.
                          Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

A funny from TV Ads

The ad people have crossed over the line so many times the line has been lost. Maybe the line should be a test of watching tv with your kids or grandkids and one of them sees the ads and asks what that means, if you are embarrassed or uncomfortable explaining it to them then the line has been crossed.
                            OK, may be crossing the line a bit but the purpose and intent is NOT religious, but a funny as a result of the ads:

A pastor had the children come down for "children's church" and the subject was "the resurrection." He started off with the question: "Do any of you know what the resurrection is?"

One child about 5 years old raised his hand and said: "If you have a resurrection lasting more than 5 hours, call a doctor." Needless to say it was a while before the pastor could speak again!

My daughter used to make funnies when she was 5 - 7 years old by imitating commercials. Commercials and TV in part affect societal thinking. I tell parents all the time: Don't let TV be your baby sitter.

Ads DO have an effect on kids; it desensitizes them to the point that there are no marginal lines. Many people do not see a problem with this. But Ads affect thinking; sensitivity is squashed, no moral sense, the more people with which moral sense ceases, the worse society becomes.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrr
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Fort Collins, Colorado
                              • Ryobi BT-3100

[...]
                              What is next? Bugger pullers, penis pumps, breast lifts?
                              capncarl
                              You have to get the premium package from cable to pick up all the "good" stuff ...

Seriously though, the titles and descriptions in the on-screen guide on many of the adult sites are too shocking for me. It is getting to the point that I consider pulling the plug on the TV when the grandkids stay with us.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...