• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Foam houses

Check out www.strataus.com. or google Strata International Group. Anyone here have built or know someone who has one of these homes/buildings. I've seen foam cored construction on the TV/news before but this is a little different. Termite/mold resistance, earth quake resistance, hurricane up to cat 5 resistance, highly insulated, 100% recyclable and fire resistance, seems to good to be true.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Yes and No.

I've looked at this technology for construction for my previous employer but the final engineering decision was made that it was not right for its needs. That being very large expanses of open space for additions to a candy factory. I kept it in the back of my mind for my own future needs though. Keep in mind though that this was 15 years ago, so it's not a new building technology that STRADA has created, kinda like SawStop grabbing someone else's idea and making it look like their own. I could not open any of their building pages, it may be my iPad, but not everyone wants a Frank Loyd Wright looking house. Another much better option for our needs was reviewed, Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC or Aircrete). This is a similar product in that it is sold in blocks and finished with a stucco like product. After doing a lot of research and visiting a couple of their building sites and meeting with factory reps. I'd recommend AAC over foam all day long. My company decided not to use a new building technology and went with the same thing the rest of the building was construction with, tilt up concrete panels and concrete "t" beam roof panels. I was disappointed because I liked the concept and wanted to manage this construction with this material rather than the other.

Move on 12 years.... I decided to build a new house after the Flint River claimed my old one and decided to use a product similar to SmartBlock™ Insulated Concrete Forms. Due to the building boom prior to hurricane Katrina, labor to build with this technology was hard to find and then Katrina came and gobbled the remaining labor and materials up for its rebuild. I went with a conventional stick built house on a raised concrete slab with brick vener sides. During the construction of my house the next door lot owner started his house using the same autoclave aerated concrete block that I had researched so thoroughly. It had its own set of problems and the construction like to broke and killed him. That's another story for another day.

If I had to do it again I would definitely consider the insulated concrete form technology over the strata or autoclave aerated concrete building technology.

capncarl

Comment

• jabe
      • Apr 2006
      • Hilo, Hawaii
      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Thanks for your insight/experience capncarl.

ICF is labor intensive and with concrete cost here in Hawaii at $130.+, per yd. it won't be affordable. That's why it didn't take off here in Hawaii. Yeah, building material is $$$ high here. A 1/2" X 4' X 12' sheet of drywall cost $23.+ per sheet here.

So any building system that can eliminate some of the conventional materials can make it affordable for the people. Strata's system seem to fit that bill just hope it's as good as they claim.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I couldn't see enough of Strada's system to tell much about it. What I saw did not reveal how they anchored the foam to the foundation or fastened blocks together. I really believe that the foam form concrete technology is more fitting for most residential needs. Some foam forms are basically interlocking foam boxes that you stack over anchored rebar and pour full of concrete. This uses a lot less concrete and the foam forms are lightweight which greatly reduces shipping weight. I believe I have seen some of the foam forms that fold down which would also reduce shipping size. Look around Hawaii, I bet there is a foam form mfg there. This type of construction would be immensely stronger than what Strada was revealing. Remember though, in any building the roof system is the first to go in a hurricane so it has to be a good one.
        capncarl

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Their products page had the best view of their product that I could find. It reminded me of some of the prebuilt then brought to site construction I have seen.

Personally, I have looked at, and would like a Monolithic dome. (not the same as a Geodesic) It is a dome shaped home, built by airing up a balloon form, spraying foam then concrete to encapsulate the foam. It has the same characteristics you mentioned, plus no roof to have to worry about leaking.
          One thing to note on any of these, IMHO, is with the foam and concrete, these are typically considered superinsulated. Therefore, you need to watch all your other materials and finishes inside for outgassing/air quality.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Spraying is a very good way to build structures but is size limited for obvious reasons. Residential size sprays are about at its size limit for most spray builders. Good examples of spray structures can still be found in some beach areas where creative sprayers constructed rebar frames covered with chicken wire and sprayed with concrete (gunnite) to create all the goofy golf mountains, whales and other monsters. Some were later sprayed inside with pu foam for insulation and converted to beach junk stores. By first spray building the structure using concrete the strength is built in and the foam is just to hide the ugly inside and wiring/plumbing. A foam structure can not be trusted to support that much non reinforced concrete weight. Locations for a residence built this way could be limited as covenants and HOA's prevent unusual and different from the norm houses.
            capncarl

Comment

Working...