• Show
Clear All
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

New tool time! What would you buy?

I have birthday money to spend, but I need some advice on some new tools, and if they are worthwhile or not. Option 1 is a new SCMS - I have my eye on the 10 inch Ridgid, which seems to get great reviews. That would be the only tool I buy, but I already do have a nice 10 inch CMS. Not sure how much I really need a SCMS, and I have only needed the extra capacity a handful of times in my woodwork. The 2nd option is to buy smaller stuff. This would include a trim router, a dovetail jig, and an Incra miter gauge. But don't know how much I really need this stuff either as I already have 2 routers and a decent stock miter gauge from my Ridgid table saw. I have never made a dovetail drawer, but it looks intriguing. What you you buy if you had the chance - the SMCS or the others things?
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have the cheap dovetail jig from HF. I used it on my first kitchen remodel and haven't touched it since. Since then I either don't use DTs for utility type drawers like for a kitchen or make them by hand with a router jig to help hog out the waste.

Although the bulk of my work is built with power tools, I like having quality chisels and hand planes for fine tuning the fits of drawers or helping to flush up a joint or glue up.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Oh, a trim router is nice. it makes doing some hand engraving/hand routing a lot easier because the router is so much easier to hold and guide than a 2 HP full size router.

On the SCMS have you looked at the bench depth the sliding mechanism needs? I decided 12" non-slider instead of sliding 10". Partly for the depth required and partly for the cut depth (able to cut 4x4).
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Definitely a track saw. It is mostly for cutting up sheet goods but is useful for cutting up fairly large boards. I straigtened a 1x6 with mine last weekend, for instance. I also cut up two sheets of 3/4 plywood into all the pieces for the cabinet box in a couple hours. And they were more accurate than I used to do on my BT3100 with extension rails.

Least expensive is the Grizzly. I have the DeWalt. The Makita is similar in price. If you want to spend 4X the Grizzly you can get the Festool. They all do the same thing but you will have to adapt or make your own parallel guides and other jigs unless you get the Festool. But I spent less than half what the Festool parallel guides to make mine for the DeWalt.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

If you are not sure why you need SCMS - you don't need it at all. I have a 12 CMS and have no use in any SCMS. 12 CMS gives you ability to cut 6" molding against the fence. SCMS only gives you ability to make wider crosscut - big deal. Dovetail jig is not a very expensive purchase but you only need such jig if you are planning to make large amount of new cabinets. How do you plan to make doors for those cabinets? A set of good router bits to make cabinet doors will include a panel raiser bit and some rail-style set - such set will cost you 3 times what dovetail jig costs.
          What you need depends on what kind of projects you do or expect to do in near future. If you don't have a need but want to buy something for your soul - you may consider a Veritas plane or a nice set of chisels or some carving set. If you are unsure - may be you don't need any more tools at this time. May be you will be better off buying some wood for the next project?
          I don't like the approach where you have some money to burn and are trying to figure out what to burn them on. My approach - determine your next project. I only buy tools when I know what I want to make and realize there is no tool in my collection to make it.
          Alex V

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It really depends on how you work. I use my TS for the vast majority of my crosscuts, and only pull out my CMS for really long pieces. "decent stock miter gauge" is almost an oxymoron! In my case, a precision miter gauge would be a better investment....YMMV. How's the blade on your saw?
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jwd12
              Established Member
              • Jun 2005
              • Dyer, In..
              • BT3100

I understand the need for new tools and I have a collection of expensive tools that have been replaced by even more expensive tools. Four tools that remain in high favor are 12" starrett square, Forrest woodworker II sawblade, Beall wood buff system and Incra 17" Wonder Fence. I don't see anything that would replace these items.
              I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jwd12
                . . . Four tools that remain in high favor are 12" starrett square, Forrest woodworker II sawblade, Beall wood buff system and Incra 17" Wonder Fence. I don't see anything that would replace these items.
                I second JWD's recommendations and add a comment on the measurement devices:
                Starrett Square
                and LeeValley's Veritas Sliding Square are two of my 4 measuring tools that I can't do without. The other two are 48" steel rule and 25ft Center Finder Rule. They sure make measuring easier.

Sliding Square: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...36,42945,32598

Tape Measure: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...58&cat=1,43513
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Neal
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I have the Incra 1000HD Miter guage. It is really nice.

I'm trying to decide if I really need a sliding compound miter saw when I go to upgrade my old 10" craftsman non-slider. 12" would be nice regardless. But how beneficial is the "sliding aspect. I've been eyeballing the Bosch axial glide version as it is of that. I rarely tilt the blade head, either. Just need to do 90's and 45's and on very rare instances, some other angles. For now, the craftsman has suited me well and continues to do a good job despite being 15+ years old.

I can second the track saw. It is wonderful for its intended purpose. I would be lost without mine anymore.

I really like my Incra LS positioner as well. It can be used for dovetails and box joints.

I also really like my Festool Domino DF500.....But that is not a modest budgetary item.

I have a planer and/or a jointer on my list for next year. But space constraints are currently the biggest issue for me.

Comment

Working...