• Show
Clear All
  • rabmax
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Apr 2015
    • Henderson Nevada
    • BT 3000

Ryobi 9 inch bandsaw

Would a Ryobi 9 inch BS suitably cut a 1 3/4 inch block of poplar 5" high and 17" wide?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

The 1 3/4" dimension can be cut with this saw. the other two no. From Ryobi's website specs:

Motor:^ 120V AC, 2.5 Amps SFM:^ 3,000 (no load speeds) Blade Length:^ 59 1/4" Throat Capacity:^ 9" Table Size:^ 11 3/4" x 14 3/4" Maximum Cutting Height:^ 3 1/2" Weight:^ 37.3 lbs.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's not a tool I would run out and buy for this task. If you already have it, put on a sharp new blade with a low TPI count, and see how the 1-3/4" cut goes. 5" won't fit.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Rabmax,
        If you're trying to resaw the poplar, it will only handle up to almost but not quite 4inches under the blade guide. If you get a 6tpi (or lower) blade for it, you can resaw, but with patience. The motor is a little underpowered for much resawing. It is fine for ripping stock around 2 inches, and good at curve cutting on 3/4 to 1inch stock.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• rabmax
          SawdustZone Patron
          • Apr 2015
          • Henderson Nevada
          • BT 3000

I thank you all very much for your responses. I do not generally us a band saw(nor do I usually do a 1 3/4 block) so I don't want to invest in a 14 incher but I have a $190.00 credit with Home Depot so I thought the Ryobi (or Rigid ) might be some thing to add to my collection.

The last time I was on line it was still BT3, guess I am behind the time. I wanted to make a donation but it would not accept my money unless it was Paypal so I will work some more on that.

I purchased my BT3000 in 98 or 99 and still have original shims and belts, my upgrades are still in the package. Guess I am lucky.

Rabmax

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I didn't reply earlier as I wanted to see other replies. I have a Delta 9 inch BS and purchased it back in 2006 to make pen blanks - approximately 3/4 by 3/4 inch. I tightened, added some upgrade guides, adjusted and adjusted, but it did not do justice to 3/4 or 1 inch wood. Impossible to get real nice pen blanks 6 inches long.

I couldn't get what I would say straight cuts no matter what I did. At the time I was still working in Japan and had a 12 inch band saw there and purchased the Delta for use back here. Small bandsaws rarely have the tension to cut thick wood in a decently straight line.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by rabmax
              I thank you all very much for your responses. I do not generally us a band saw(nor do I usually do a 1 3/4 block) so I don't want to invest in a 14 incher but I have a $190.00 credit with Home Depot so I thought the Ryobi (or Rigid ) might be some thing to add to my collection.

The last time I was on line it was still BT3, guess I am behind the time. I wanted to make a donation but it would not accept my money unless it was Paypal so I will work some more on that.

I purchased my BT3000 in 98 or 99 and still have original shims and belts, my upgrades are still in the package. Guess I am lucky.

Rabmax
              Why not use your BT for the cut?
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• rabmax
                SawdustZone Patron
                • Apr 2015
                • Henderson Nevada
                • BT 3000

It's for a bow front drawer.

Comment

Working...