• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cleaning rust off of woodworking tools with WD-40

A while back, when my shop was in its unusable state, my lovely bride decided to take a sack of potting soil she had been using, and since she couldn't find storage space on the shelving unit for it, she decided to leave it on the outfeed bed of my jointer, which quickly turned into rust. I had to clean this off...

I did a quick write up on it for my blog this weekend, the process is pretty simple. I don't have the bed exactly where I want it yet, but it is close enough for now... I thought I would share this with you guys. When I first did this I was hesitant to do it because I hadn't found a write up or any instructions. Hopefully I can put someone else's mind at ease about this project...

http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/2014/02/rust-removal-from-woodworking-tools.html

Chances are better than good that I will get after this again at least one more time to get rid of the little discoloration that remains.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

WD-10? Is that the dollar store version?

I enjoyed the Simple Green and a scuff pad.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I tried the Simple Green / scotch brite pad on the band saw before, it was a LOT more work than the WD-40 method.

It is possible the Simple Green has to stand longer than WD-40? Do you have a write up on the process. I am just not sure I did it right...
      Last edited by dbhost; 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I did that with a 1959 table saw.

Also used WD-40, a random orbit sander (use an extra pad so you don't mess up your regular one), along with fine metal screen.

When you're done - wax the surface --- that will protect it from future flower pots (within reason).

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I got uh... overzealous with the wax... Johnsons Paste wax... I still need to keep the potting soil away from my machines...

I thought about using the RO sander with WD 40, but I was concerned I would trash the sander...
          Last edited by dbhost; 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

It depends on if it was simply surface rust or not. For me, it came right off. I thought I had a thread on it here...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I must not have let the Simple Green soak long enough. Instructions on using WD-40 were certainly easier to find... How long did you soak it for? Mine is, and has all been surface rust. I try to get to it as soon as I notice it form... Or as soon as possible afterwards.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Honestly, I didn't. Sprayed and started scrubbing.

It was condensation rust, so it may have been easier to deal with.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. Yeah, your results were radically different from mine. That was the method I tried and it failed miserably... Must be the HF cast iron or something...

Comment

• jdon
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                    • BT3100

I don't think Simplel Green would be very good for rust removal. Most rust removers that I'm aware of are acidic, such as phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly). Simple Green, like most detergents, is alkaline (pH 9.5), which is counterproductive to rust removal. Simple Green doesn't recommend it for rust removal http://simplegreen.com/faqs

My suspicion is that Simple Green (or WD-40, for that matter) is acting only as a lubricant, to help lift rust off the surface, allowing the sandpaper to be more effective. I think that water would be as effective as Simple Green. WD-40 is composed entirely of hydrocarbons, so is slipperier than an a water based solution, so makes sanding easier.

I used the ROS WD-40 treatment several years ago on a rusty jointer- worked well, but time consuming. Next time, I'd consider electrolysis.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

My bad, it was mineral spirits. I got crossed up with my blade cleaning I was doing at the same time.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

That would make sense. I used Mineral spirits on the post of my drill press when I first got it. Cleaned it up reasonably well...

Comment

• MBG
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Chicago, Illinois.
                          • Craftsman 21829

I recently restored an old Uni that had rust on the cast top. Except for using a razor to scrape the heavy stuff I followed a procedure pretty closely that I used on my new CI tops. Search for Dave's Dirty Dozen (basically uses various grit scotchbrite pads on a 1/4 sheet sander).

Mike

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

jdon,

WD-40 acts as a light penetrant, lubricating the bonds between the oxidized iron and the virgin iron. Which is probably why the iron oxide (rust) so easily comes off with WD40... It also explains why the discolored iron that isn't fully oxidized yet stays, well... black through much harsher scrubbing...

If this is the mechanism that WD-40 is using to remove rust, it makes me wonder if some of the newer, known more effective penetrating lubricants such as PB Blaster, or Aerokroil might be more effective for this task...

Comment

Working...