X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Something I am having to consider is how to store the tools I am thinking about getting. The systainers have to go somewhere or they aren't a benefit.

I'm either going to have to find a home for them under my workbench or incorporate storage into my miter saw station. Since I'd really like that to be 28" deep, I may go that way.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

The drills are a tough one for me, really. This summer I bought the new Porter-Cable 20V lithium set (drill and impact driver). They were marked down at Lowe's to $179. A few weeks later they put them on sale for $149, and Lowe's refunded the difference to me. Plus, I used my Lowe's card, and got 5% off. This a heck of a set for the price. I still have my original cordless drill, a Makita 9.6V drill. After 20+ years, I finally bought a new battery for it. Its permanent home is the garage, with many other cast off tools, but I still like the way it feels. Maybe like an old pair of jeans you cannot bear to throw out.

If I bought a Festool drill, it would probably be the low-end one, the CXS. But I have plenty of other Festool tools to consider before a drill purchase is seriously considered.
      Lee

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Cochese
        Something I am having to consider is how to store the tools I am thinking about getting. The systainers have to go somewhere or they aren't a benefit.

I'm either going to have to find a home for them under my workbench or incorporate storage into my miter saw station. Since I'd really like that to be 28" deep, I may go that way.
        This is my make shift one I did. Excuse the mess. It's 2 sided and each drawer holds 1 systainer. Nothing fancy. In fact it was only supposed to be temporary and I planned on making a more substantial one but life got in the way. One of my new year's resolutions will be to build a better one. I plan on incorporating some parts from this guy's design. He has a stationary bench. I will still have mine on casters because I need the extra space occasionally. One thing I will definitely do is have one long drawer instead of 2 shorter ones. If you haven't done so go Festool Jigs & Tool Enhancements in the fog forum. Check out the posts by Timtool. He has some very creative designs for Festool storage. Including a portable cart that holds the systainers but then opens up to be your work surface. Or check out his youtube page.

Plans and more info of this workbench are available on my website : http://benchworks.be/en/projects/sysport-workbench/also check out my systainer workbench ...

Last edited by jussi; 12-20-2013, 03:47 PM.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

My Christmas list included a bunch of Incra rules to help measure more accurately. If that happens I can then spend some money toward the Festool stuff.

Not all of it though, some still just don't make sense to me, like a $500 cordless drill. I'm sure it's great, but I'll stick with my Ryobis as long as they'll turn.
          I said the same thing when I first started. Hopefully you'll have stronger will power.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I hope I do too.

I've seen a couple of Timtool's things. Very impressive, as is the prize he apparently won for his MFTC.

I'm finishing up this project today and then I'm taking measurements. A lot of my potential storage for these things hinges on my shop vac.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I picked up my TS55 and a long rail earlier today. A bit earlier than I anticipated, but I was way too impatient. Fantastic cut quality.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

I think you'll be very happy with the choice. And after a while the pain in your wallet will subside. One suggestion I have is not to use any type of solvent when removing an old splinter guard. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the instructions on the box of a new splinter guard said to use denatured alcohol (or acetone) to remove any residue the old one leaves. Don't! It leaves surface such that the new splinter guard peels off waaay to easily. Especially at the ends of the rail. Instead use a razor and scrape it off. It takes longer but works much better. I ended up having to lightly sand the rail to remove whatever residue the chemical left behind.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Forgot to mention I picked up the Domino 500 a few weeks back and after a good bit of learning the curve, I love it. Makes joinery so much less complicated now.

Nothing on the immediate horizon as far as Festool purchases go. I've been looking at getting a new ROS and have been doing my research. Aside from a sander or two, there's not a whole lot else I'm seriously looking at besides accessories and consumables.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I do not "buy the brand" on my tool purchases. I research each new tool and try to buy a good one. Fine Woodworking reviews are my favorite source of "data" but I look at what I can get. Festools are consistently rated highly but not necessarily the best. And the price is always at the top end. So I use a DeWalt track saw, a Hitachi dual compound CMS, a BT3100, Bosch Jig saw, Ryobi 18V tools, etc.. I am not claiming any of these are better than Festools or even as good. But all are cheaper and so far they are good enough for me. I will probably buy a better shop vacumn to replace my Rigid with HEPA filter and a little cyclone pre-separator. I doubt it will be a Festool but if they are the "best" price and features I am not against it. But I don't think they have any sort of automatic filter cleaning which seems to me to be a desirable feature. That's the kind of thing I've seen previously on other tools. Festools are always good tools but arguably not the best in any given category.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Now that I've built a foundation of basic tools, I'm selectively upgrading what I have.

My short list includes:

a) Planer (I have a 12" Delta that has not lived up to my expectations --- no Festool expected)
                      b) Either circular or jig saw (Craftsman and Ryobi, respectively, right now ---- Festool jig saw is a strong candidate, along with Bosch).

ON the debate about whether it's equipment or skill

Take a look at this video of Sam Maloof ----- looks like he used a Woodtek band saw (decent quality - but not the most expensive).

The furniture of midcentury craftsman Sam Maloof (1916-2009) and the art made by 35 members of his circle of friends are explored in a groundbreaking exhibit...
                      Last edited by durango dude; 02-25-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Forgot to mention I picked up the Domino 500 a few weeks back and after a good bit of learning the curve, I love it. Makes joinery so much less complicated now.
                        If you're using alot of plywood you may want to take a look at the domiplate.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jussi
                          If you're using alot of plywood you may want to take a look at the domiplate.
                          It's on the radar. My fence though has done well so far.

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by durango dude
                            b) Either circular or jig saw (Craftsman and Ryobi, respectively, right now ---- Festool jig saw is a strong candidate, along with Bosch).
                            ]
                            Unless you want to spend the big bucks on the Carvex I think the Bosch is a better buy. I had both Festool PS300EQ and Bosch 1591 and ended up keeping the Bosch. The superb dust collection that Festool is known for, in this case, also makes it hard to see the line you're cutting because of the shroud. So you end up raising the shroud to see the line and negate the dust collection. Cut quality was comparable and unlike the Festool you can often find the Bosch on sale or even as a recon. And this is coming from a big Festool fan with many of their products.

Comment

• Rslaugh
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                              • Ridgid

I hate you guys

this all makes so much sense and with the interior of the boat to do it looks like a track saw must be in my future. "Honey - its for the boat. It will help me get it done faster."
                              Rick
                              IG: @rslaugh_photography
                              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• lrr
                                Established Member
                                • Apr 2006
                                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                                • Ryobi BT-3100

My first project with my track saw was a dog bowl stand for my daughter. My wife thought it was a really nice gift. I've found that if I balance home projects and gifts with my personal projects, my wife never complains about my tool purchases.

That, and I bring new stuff into the house late at night...
                                Lee

Comment

Working...