• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Originally posted by dkerfoot
    We need a digital conversion box for our downstairs TV. I was impressed to find one on Amazon for under $50 that also works as a DVR: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAE92K/

I have also ordered a Chromecast to enable us to watch internet sourced entertainment on the big screen. .
    That converter box is an interesting device. Hope you will let us know if it works as advertised. Are you planning on plugging in the Chromecast to the converter box? If it works that would be an ideal setup for the older TVs.

We discontinued Comcast TV and upgraded the internet to a faster package and saved about two thirds the cost (for 6 months then about half). Existing antenna brings in all the local stations. Netflix fills in the rest except for A&E.

A new smart Vizio with built in WiFi in the living room works well but I have to do something for the sewing room tv rather soon. At least before "Dancing with the Stars" comes back on.

Bill
    on the left coast

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've been out of contract for a while now. I'll try it tonight or some other time I don't mind spending an hour on the phone.

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
        That converter box is an interesting device. Hope you will let us know if it works as advertised. Are you planning on plugging in the Chromecast to the converter box? If it works that would be an ideal setup for the older TVs.
        Just got it and am fairly impressed. I connected it direct to the antenna (no other TVs, splitters, etc) in order to negate interference. If performance degrades after I have everything connected, I'll know I need a signal booster. It works very well, but for some reason doesn't get one of my ABC channels. I'll need to play with it more. I did update the firmware as soon as I got it. All the other channels look quite good.

I also recorded a couple minutes of video and was very impressed with the quality. If you'd like to see a sample, here is a 115MB clip of a local news station. (The recorded files are huge):

If you have Windows 7 or newer, you should be able to play it in Media Player. If you have Vista or older, you have to jump through some hoops to play .mts format. If you use those fruity computers, well I guess you'll have to ask a "Genius".

The remote does seem to be "extra" directional - you really need to aim it at the box, not the TV. Also, on my old CRT TV, it is hard to read some of the menus - especially when they are telling you to press one button for one thing and another for something else. The TV just has too low of resolution to read them easily. I wish they'd make them bigger.

Under $50 shipped seems like a screaming good deal.

I don't plan to hook my Chromecast to this box. This is to connect an ancient Cathode TV that my wife like to turn on to Good Morning America, etc for background noise while she works (we both have home offices). The Chromecast will connect to our 46" LCD in the Living Room. Recorded shows will probably be watched on my laptop, and and/or "cast" to the big TV via Chromecast.

Last edited by dkerfoot; 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM.
        Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Speaking of cable boosters, I have a question.

Right now the only thing Comcast does is supply bits and boops to the computer. But with switching the two TVs to cable supply, I may in fact need one.

Do I put the booster before the line gets split between the three sources, behind the split to the computer or where? I know some of this is guesswork without knowing signal loss, but still.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Mr. Bill

How did you cut the cable tv package and keep the internet? (name of the package, can you pm me the cost per month)
            For internet, with them locally, it is $1 cheaper, with BASIC cable and the internet service, then without. I would love to find a way around that, especially since I don't have their "low cost" decryption box for the TV.

Cochese, I am from the analog cable days more (don't know what they have for digital cable that won't put out interference), but in those days, you wanted the amp, AFTER the cable modem (tv and cable modem split, then the tv signal went to an amp).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I couldn't wait for Doug's review so I pulled the trigger on the MediaSonic PVR last Friday and received it today. I'm playing with it now. I am impressed for what this can do for less than $50. I've got it connected to an old laptop HD in a USB case and am recording the news. I will need to get a splitter so I can record on the PVR and watch TV when I'm not recording. I connected it to the TV with an HDMI cable. There are a lot of available connectors on the back.

The remote stinks. You have to aim directly at the unit like you were using a laser pointer than a flashlight. The buttons on the remote are hard to press, too. I have an IR repeater so I will probably stick one of those onto the unit. I also have a universal remote so I will probably program that to learn this remote. The video quality even when set to 1080p is not as good as what I get through the TV tuner.

I have already started to enter programs that I want to record. Fingers crossed that they work. If the recordings do happen, then I'll be a very happy customer. Right now I stream recorded TV from my Win7 box to my Roku using Plex. It's not ideal. This unit is much more wife friendly. She'll be happy that she won't miss Glee anymore.

I used to run a Panasonic TiVo like box before everything went to DTV. That unit was a dream to use and I wish MediaSonic incorporated several of those features on this unit. It could also read and burn my recordings onto the built in DVD player/recorder. However, it only had an 80GB drive, recorded at 480, didn't show program information, and cost 5-6 times more.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                Speaking of cable boosters, I have a question.

Right now the only thing Comcast does is supply bits and boops to the computer. But with switching the two TVs to cable supply, I may in fact need one.

Do I put the booster before the line gets split between the three sources, behind the split to the computer or where? I know some of this is guesswork without knowing signal loss, but still.
                Sooner is always better with boosters. You can't amplify a signal that isn't there, so you want to connect the booster before the signal loss that results from splitters, TVs, bad connections, etc.

But - too much signal is as bad or worse than too little. Don't add a booster until you know you need one. If the signal to the TV is too strong, it cuts the channel out completely.
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

I finally hooked up the free Comcast adapters the other day. I used the existing DirecTV-supplied splitter. Unfortunately my power level was too high on the Upstream side and I lost bonding (ie my connection wasn't as fast or as good). I added a 3.5dB splitter ahead of the DTV one and the modem likes that a lot better. No noticeable degradation on the TVs either.

Not a lot of content with basic cable, but at least I can see some national games again.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

I dumped the landline back in October or so and went with Ooma. I signed up for a year of their Premier service and got the number porting for free.

Quality, at least incoming, is fantastic. Absolutely no problems there. We are told that outgoing is a little tinny, but that's okay. I do enjoy listening to voicemails on the computer or cell. Also, $4 a month in taxes beats $44 for service every day and twice on Saturday.

Haven't had a chance to try out fax, but I have the Ooma in one room and it supplies the voice for all the jacks in the house once I disconnected the outside junction from the street (this is required or you will fry your Ooma).

911 is registered, so hopefully that will work if we need it. Highly recommended, especially with all the sales I've seen since I bought mine.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Yep, you are busy dredging up old threads... But you bring up some good points / ideas...

I have taken to watching MOSTLY but not exclusively streaming online. I do have Comcast Extreme service (The 105mb down tier), so I have lots of pipe, my TV service is Satelite, via DirecTV, and I am on their most basic plan. I would be MUCH happier if I could find all of the content I want, streaming online for a reasonable fee. I am investigating alternatives, but nothing fits the bill entirely. The biggest problem thus far has been my wife. She likes the Vampire / Zombie shows...

I ditched a land line a decade ago, after I realized I was paying for a phone that only got calls for somebody that no longer lived there.... At that time I was using Vonage. I haven't had a POTS line since 2001.

Last year I re-added a home phone to support some small business work we are doing, as well as faxing. I am using an Obi100 with Google Voice. I pay something like $1.75 or something stupid cheap for taxes and 911 service. The remainder of my phone service is free.

Effectively, I want to get my entertainment and communications costs down to my broadband connection, one reasonably priced streaming service, cell phone, and the taxes on that stuff.
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Condoman44
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • CT near Norwich
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I have looked at this issue in the past. Because I am retired AT&T I get cheap land line service.

AT&T has no hi speed anything on the street so, I am stuck with Comcast for internet & TV for $100 per month.

If you consider dropping the land line be sure you will not need and "help, I have fallen and can't get up" service or heart/pace maker monitoring device since they do not work with cell phones.

With the latest Comcast merger in the works I am sure it will not be good for consumers.

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011
                          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I don't have much use for my land line.

I don't currently have cable or satellite.

I have Netflix - which I'm getting tired of

They don't have New Yankee Workshop and
                          I finished all the Last Man Standing episodes.

Only reason we still have the landline is for 911. We live in the mountains - and mobile service is not always reliable.

Humorously - main reason my DSL goes out is power outage. If that happened, my land line would not work, either, since I have cordless phones.
                          (bad planning on my part).

As soon as T-mobile upgrades their coverage in the area, though ---- that will likely be the path I take.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by Condoman44
                            I have looked at this issue in the past. Because I am retired AT&T I get cheap land line service.

AT&T has no hi speed anything on the street so, I am stuck with Comcast for internet & TV for $100 per month.

If you consider dropping the land line be sure you will not need and "help, I have fallen and can't get up" service or heart/pace maker monitoring device since they do not work with cell phones.

With the latest Comcast merger in the works I am sure it will not be good for consumers.
                            agreed. a merger that big can't be good for consumers. and in a couple of years, when rates go up and service deteriorates, some congressman will say, like i heard one say during the financial crisis, "you know, there's probably a correlation between the severity of the problem and the fact that there aren't a lot of banks(cable companies) around anymore". Duh! Simple way to fix the financial services industry is to make a dozen "too big to fail banks" into 120 banks sized "that if one or two fail, who cares".

what a lot of our politicians need is a freshman course in macroeconomics. and the politicians need to understand that one of government's responsibilities is to maintain a level playing field in any market so a small number of players can't become a controlling influence.
                            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Bluto
                              Handtools only
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Condoman44

I retired from AT&t myself in 2012 and because I did not have land line service for one year out of the 31 (at about year 25) I worked there they denied me the retiree concession, VERY classy...so I get it as a bundle with DSL from my excellent local ISP. That being said another plus for landline service is that the local office always has regularly maintained and tested battery and diesel backup power so the phone will still work during a power outage.
                              Anyway, we have no cable and get by fine with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and BBC via VPN and with an antenna only get the local public station OTA and that works for news...

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                                • Aug 2007
                                • Minneapolis, MN
                                • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by woodturner
                                I have been considering dropping the land line, but the 911 issue has stopped me from doing it so far.

When you dial 911 from a land line, they know exactly where you are, and can find you even if you can't talk or communicate. With other methods of accessing 911, they get at best an approximate location - and if you have had a heart attack, stroke, severe injury, etc. the precious minutes lost trying to locate you could make the difference.

In most areas, a land line with the most basic service costs $5 to $20. You will likely have to push hard with the telco to get them to admit to that rate, but they will. $5/month seems like cheap insurance to me.
                                Cut the phone line 3 years ago and use Google Voice plus an Obihai box ($50) for free VOIP phone. I pay $10/year for 911 service, so my net cost for VOIP with 911 is 80 cents/month.

Minneapolis has citywide wifi for $20 month and offered my block fiber-optic hookup for $25/ month. I reliably get 15 Mbps! I'm now saving $80/month on my phone/internet bill.

Here's a link for instructions for free VOIP. BTW, to port your home phone number over to Google Voice is a two-step process. You must first port your home number to a cellphone (I used a $10 throw-away phone. Then you can port the number to Google Voice).

This information applies only to personal Google Voice accounts. If you have a Google Voice for Google Workspace account managed by your work or school, contact your administrator

You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                                of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...