• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Weight Loss Challenge

Who's interested? Other than that, I don't know how to go about organizing this thing.

Some ideas for guidelines.

1) I think we need the same weigh in date per week. My vote is Friday. If you miss a weigh in, you're out.
    2) We need to set an end date. May 1?
    3) No rules as to how you go about losing the weight (obviously use your best judgment) and you release BT3 and everyone involved of any responsibility. Participation is of your on volition.
    4) Weigh ins will have to be on your honor. You'll try to wear the same or similar outfit with/without shoes before each weigh in.
    5) We need someone to keep track of everyone's weight. An online way would be great because then it's mostly self-sufficient, but I don't know how to go about that.
    6) Make weigh ins public or private? I've done Weight Watchers and our leader kept it private, but those of us who were doing well weren't afraid to share.
    7) I think having some skin in the game will make the participation more sincere. Maybe $5 entry fee paid to BT3 and the winner gets a patron upgrade as well as bragging rights?

Got to go do some real work, but please add.

Paul
  • Mildoc
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Copperas Cove TX
    • BT

Hope everyone who needs to lose weight joins in! I would love to, but since June 2013 I have dropped 65 pounds. It CAN be done folks!
    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Who's interested? Other than that, I don't know how to go about organizing this thing.

1) I think we need the same weigh in date per week. My vote is Friday. If you miss a weigh in, you're out.
      Too many people have too many different schedules to try and hit a certain day or certain time each week. And to be out if a weigh-in is missed? I won't bother if there's going to be draconian rules like that.

I'm not even sure what the point of required intermediate weigh-ins are anyway, if it's a 'start here-finish here' thing.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I weigh daily, usually between 6:00 & 7:00 AM, in my pjs.

I do need to lose weight. Roughly, every 10 years since the 70's, in a span of 1 year, I gain about 10 to 12 pounds and can't get it off. I hit the 220 mark in 2000, and stayed between 215 and 220 for 13 years. Between Thanksgiving and New Years, I hit 230 and can't get below 227, and I am trying hard.

Back in 2009, weighing in at 220, and a swollen and painful left knee, my Japanese doctor said I needed surgery and even a knee replacement but would NOT do it until I was back to about 180!

I would love to get back to 190 or even 200.

I am in.

How about each picking their "day" and reporting it respectively; and let each individual choose the clothing aspect, and stay with that for each weigh-in? Not sure if this could work or not, but it is worth a shot.
        Last edited by leehljp; 01-23-2014, 05:59 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm in. Doc and LOML pushing anyway. .. Would like Saturday as weigh in day if possible... that way I can sync with Weight Watchers...

May 1 is good by me!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Cochese
            Too many people have too many different schedules to try and hit a certain day or certain time each week. And to be out if a weigh-in is missed? I won't bother if there's going to be draconian rules like that.

I'm not even sure what the point of required intermediate weigh-ins are anyway, if it's a 'start here-finish here' thing.
            You're right. That does sound crazy now that I reread it--at least for being knocked out. I guess we can make the weekly reporting voluntary. Having been in WW, the whole group appreciated and succeeded with the structure of the weekly weigh in. Kept us on track and cognizant of our goals. The people who missed weekly weigh ins didnt lose as much weight.

To determine a winner, I suggest we go by total percent weight lost, not total weight lost.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Each member chooses their own weigh in day of the week and posting here should be required after all we are a social network, those not participating are spectators IMHO.

2) We need to set an end date. May 1?
              3) No rules as to how you go about losing the weight (obviously use your best judgment) and you release BT3 and everyone involved of any responsibility. Participation is of your on volition.
              Surgical reductions should not count.

4) Weigh ins will have to be on your honor. You'll try to wear the same or similar outfit with/without shoes before each weigh in.
              5) We need someone to keep track of everyone's weight. An online way would be great because then it's mostly self-sufficient, but I don't know how to go about that.
              6) Make weigh ins public or private? I've done Weight Watchers and our leader kept it private, but those of us who were doing well weren't afraid to share.
              7) I think having some skin in the game will make the participation more sincere. Maybe $5 entry fee paid to BT3 and the winner gets a patron upgrade as well as bragging rights?

I think entry should be free. Everyone benefits when folks gain better health, the forum benefits by longer posting members.

Got to go do some real work, but please add.

Paul
              I think it should end on May 1 at 23:59 GMT. All weigh-ins shall be posted by that time.

Members start by posting their weight now or at their next weigh in. Make February 28th the last day to join the contest, although for most folks the sooner they start the more they will likely lose and gain. Edits of each persons OP will result in a DQ, we are on the honor system however a before and after pic would be nice. My thinking for this is often others are motivated by success stories and pics help in that.

Standard disclaimers apply: BT3Central does not offer medical advice. Each person should seek the advice from a medical professional before starting either a diet or exercise program.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm in. My wife, a nurse, shamed me into losing weight at the end of last year and I've gone down from 208 to 185 since November. I have still about 25 pounds to lose to meet my goal.

I've been tracking what I eat and my exercise with an iOS app calle Lose It. It's nice for a data junkie and free, but nags you to upgrade to the $40/year paid version a lot.
                Chr's

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                  Members start by posting their weight now or at their next weigh in. Make February 28th the last day to join the contest, although for most folks the sooner they start the more they will likely lose and gain. Edits of each persons OP will result in a DQ, we are on the honor system however a before and after pic would be nice.
                  I like the rules Black wallnut proposed. I also think percentage of weight lost is a more fair way to evaluate progress. An alternative might be to use waist size, since people who work out to get healthier tend to maintain weight or lose weight more slowly (muscle weighs more than fat) but lose inches around their waist.

We could set up a shared spreadsheet, like a Google doc - that's what another site does, and it seems to work well. Each person can go in and enter their weight, and "snapshots" can be taken to detect changing weight numbers after the fact. That seems a little better than any edit to a post disqualifies - especially since I tend to make typos, realize it just after I post, and edit to fix the typos .

If we want to do the shared spreadsheet, I would be happy to set that up.

Anyway, I'm in.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Just for the record I only apply the edit rule to the OP post with beginning weight.

©

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                      Bandsaw Box Momma
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Well here it goes. Starting weight is 275. I am in. Let's do this.
                      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I am not too proud so I'm a go. As of 20 minutes ago. 336 lb shower fresh... God help my weight loss! (add 4lbs for my typical manner of dress, jeans, typical under things, shirt, hiking boots...). I would figure 340 lbs "street weight"...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

245 this evening. Guess it is time to back away from the beer glass until I'm riding outside daily this spring.

©

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

By the way I'm good with the percentage rather than a raw number. From what I have read just this week an 8% reduction in weight will make a considerable difference in ones health.

©

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by woodturner

We could set up a shared spreadsheet, like a Google doc - that's what another site does, and it seems to work well. Each person can go in and enter their weight, and "snapshots" can be taken to detect changing weight numbers after the fact. That seems a little better than any edit to a post disqualifies - especially since I tend to make typos, realize it just after I post, and edit to fix the typos .

If we want to do the shared spreadsheet, I would be happy to set that up.

Anyway, I'm in.
                              Woodturner, could you set up a shared spreadsheet on Google docs? I was thinking usernames down Column A and dates across Row 1 to May 1 (Thursday) or May 2 (Friday) Users record their weight in pounds under the closest date appearing at the top. The only weights that matter would be the first and last weight taken, (Does everyone agree with that?) but I'd say feel free to use the other spaces to track your progress.

Well, it's officially Friday for me and I'm in. 228lbs.

Paul

Comment

Working...