Tracksaw Owners- What size track to go with?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Tracksaw Owners- What size track to go with?

OK, so I'm very close on pulling the trigger on a new Festool TS55 REQ. It'll be my first foray into the world of Festool! While I haven't done enough woodworking to validate the cost, I do a heck of a lot of remodeling and rennovating houses, and I see uses for a track saw in that all the time. Plus I'll be able to use it for woodworking.

Anyway.... I'm going to buy online (sorry local stores, the taxes are just too much on such an expensive tool). The online store I'm looking at allows you to swap the 55" rail that comes with the saw to another size- you just pay (or are refunded) the difference.

So what size would you reccomend? If the 55" the ideal size to buy first, or do I want to go with a larger size like the 75"? If I do go with the 55" size, is the one with the hole guides useful? It's only $5 more than the plain 55" rail.

Thanks!
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I bought the DeWalt with a 102 and a 59 inch track and I use them both. I use the shorter one more than the longer one but the longer one is necessary for cutting a full sheet of plywood lengthwise. One of the reasons I went with the DeWalt is the price was more reasonable including the track. Here's a link:

Last edited by JimD; 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

BigguyZ,

I bought a TS 55 REQ last November. I went with adding a 75" rail so I had two different lengths, which a number of people recommended. And while unlikely, it means I could do a diagonal cut on a full sheet of plywood, and have plenty of rail length. Although I have no plans now that would dictate needing a "holey" guide rail, I wish I would have bought one, considering the small incremental cost to substitute one when I bought my saw.

I also recommend checking out the Ron Paulk videos on YouTube. He is a homebuilder and uses the Festool track saw in his home construction and cabinetry work. He has a workbench called the Paulk Ultimate Workbench that is simple yet elegant. It inspired me to build my own full size MFT type of bench. His is portable, and I did not need portability.

There is a lot of info on Festool track saws on YouTube, plus two forums -- Festool Owner Group, and talkFestool. I delayed the purchase of a SawStop table saw based on the things that people were doing with a track saw.

Here is a picture of my workbench, which also serves as the outfeed for the BT3100 at the rear.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lrr; 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
      Lee

Comment

• Condoman44
        Established Member
        • Nov 2013
        • CT near Norwich
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have the Makita SP6000 with 2 55" tracks, clamps & splice bar to attach the two tracks. This is ideal for taking to a job because of the size of the rails. The Makita uses the Festool clamps and splice bar.

I got this at the end of 2010 for $450 for everything.

Wish I had this years before as it makes cutting sheet goods real easy.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I should have said to get clamps. I have the router attachment for my DeWalt tracks but haven't used it. I use the clamps whenever possible. If the surface you are cutting is clean and flat the rail won't move and you don't need clamps. But often things get dusty and the clamps prevent wandering. The DeWalt clamps are quick acting and are usable, I believe, on the Festool track.

Another recommendation is to make storage boxes for your tracks. Mine are simple luan plywood sides and a spacer of scrap softwood or hardwood - whatever was handy. One end comes off with a couple screws. I put some finish on them to make them look better but it adds nothing to the functioning. The are similar to the shipping box the 102 inch track came in.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

My advise is to upgrade to the 75" rail instead of the 55" rail. Dealers will do that for you if they are a good one. The holy rail is good, but it's designed to be used with the LR32 system (router, router plate, etc). The 75" will also give you more room on full-width crosscuts, as the 55" really isn't strictly meant for that. Not enough room at the beginning and end to keep the saw registered with both gimbals. You'll only pay the difference between the two rails.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN

Cochese,

I've heard that about the 55" rail and crosscutting plywood. Although, I don't really get many full sheets of plywood. I have a Rav4, and while it has a good amount of storage space, it doesn't have room for full sheets. If I do get ply currently, I have it cut down (either cross cut or ripped) at the store (yeah, by store I mean HD or lowes.... haven't moved to the lumber yard stuff yet). Still, that logic makes sense in going with the 75" in cases were I'm working with a full sheet that's either delivered or something my brother picks up (he has an Expedition)....

Do you find the 75" rail to be unwieldy?

Lee- I actually already picked up a set of Makita rail clamps. Their price just dropped on Amazon to $30 for a 2 pack. Reviews actually say they're sturdier than the Festool clamps, but work with those rails. I was looking at the Dewalt clamps too, but I worried that the quick release clamps would break more easily. Maybe it's the cheap clamps I've gotten in the past that have scared me off.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                Cochese,

I've heard that about the 55" rail and crosscutting plywood. Although, I don't really get many full sheets of plywood. I have a Rav4, and while it has a good amount of storage space, it doesn't have room for full sheets. If I do get ply currently, I have it cut down (either cross cut or ripped) at the store (yeah, by store I mean HD or lowes.... haven't moved to the lumber yard stuff yet). Still, that logic makes sense in going with the 75" in cases were I'm working with a full sheet that's either delivered or something my brother picks up (he has an Expedition)....

Do you find the 75" rail to be unwieldy?

Lee- I actually already picked up a set of Makita rail clamps. Their price just dropped on Amazon to $30 for a 2 pack. Reviews actually say they're sturdier than the Festool clamps, but work with those rails. I was looking at the Dewalt clamps too, but I worried that the quick release clamps would break more easily. Maybe it's the cheap clamps I've gotten in the past that have scared me off.
                Unwieldy? Tough question. It's unwieldy for crosscutting things I should really be cutting on my miter saw. You are talking about a 6'+ long, 12" wide or so piece of aluminum, so yes, it is big. I wouldn't want anything smaller for crosscutting, though. My plan is to at some point pick up a 1080 rail (perhaps along with the MFT/3) for repetitive cross-cuts. Combined, the two will rip cut a sheet of ply with ease.

Whichever way you go, I look at it like this: there's not much point to have two rails the same size. The 1900 puts your purchase at around $700. I do think the 75" rail will give you the most versatility starting out. Add to it at your convenience.

Comment

• bigstick509
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Macomb, MI, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by lrr
                  BigguyZ,

I bought a TS 55 REQ last November. I went with adding a 75" rail so I had two different lengths, which a number of people recommended. And while unlikely, it means I could do a diagonal cut on a full sheet of plywood, and have plenty of rail length. Although I have no plans now that would dictate needing a "holey" guide rail, I wish I would have bought one, considering the small incremental cost to substitute one when I bought my saw.

I also recommend checking out the Ron Paulk videos on YouTube. He is a homebuilder and uses the Festool track saw in his home construction and cabinetry work. He has a workbench called the Paulk Ultimate Workbench that is simple yet elegant. It inspired me to build my own full size MFT type of bench. His is portable, and I did not need portability.

There is a lot of info on Festool track saws on YouTube, plus two forums -- Festool Owner Group, and talkFestool. I delayed the purchase of a SawStop table saw based on the things that people were doing with a track saw.

Here is a picture of my workbench, which also serves as the outfeed for the BT3100 at the rear.
                  Hi Lee, I posted over on talkFestool site regarding your set up.
                  You said you were a member over here but I didn't recognize your handle. Good to see some crossover to the green festool cult. I also have a different name over there " mazmes "

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

Hey Mike,

I thoughti'd test the waters at talkFestool. Sometimes the FOG is mostly pros, and it looked like talkFestool might be a little more oriented towards the hobbyist or DIYer.

I was really creative back when I signed up here -- just my initials.
                    Lee

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Shipping on the 106" rail is really high because it is oversized.

I ordered mine with the 55" rail and picked up the 106" rail at Woodcraft.
                      Chr's

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a brand new TS 55 REQ with a 75" rail. (and a FREE 2XL tshirt to boot! )

I figured I can get that, and maybe add a 32 inch rail, which when combined would get me enough to rip a sheet of ply.

So pretty soon I'll officially be a new inductee into the cult of the black and green.

I figure this will stave off my need for the safety of a SawStop, and be really useful for carcass work on cabinets, doors, and floors. Time will tell, but I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase.

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

Welcome to the club.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jussi; 03-13-2014, 02:02 PM.
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN

Well in an interesting twist of events, the vendor sent me a 2700 rail instead of the 1900 rail I ordered. I called, and they said with shipping costs, I might as well just keep the larger rail. So, now I have the big 108" rail for no extra cost. I don't really have storage for something that long, nor a regular need. So I'm thinking of cutting it down into two separate rails. Now obviously, I don't need to stick with the typical 55" or 75" lengths.

Thoughts? Anyone else cut a rail into two separate sizes?

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Oh, that hurts me just thinking about it.

Comment

Working...