Self retracting cord reel reccomendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Self retracting cord reel reccomendations?

After installing the hose reel, and enjoying it to complete the time pressing projects, I am now getting annoyed by my "Wonder Winder" cord winders and would love to convert to a self retracting style reel. However I see so many of them that are using way too small of a gauge of wire to be safe.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a self retracting cord reel that is using at least 12 ga wire? I would prefer 30 feet or so but do not want or need over 50 feet...

The only one I have seen is the 12 gauge retractable enclosed cord reel from Rockler. And I am leaning HEAVILY in favor of that one, but I would want 2, and they are a bit pricey, I just wanted to make sure they were worth the cost before I plunked down my cash or maybe there is a better option... Anyone using a heavy duty cord reel like this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would shy away from a electric reel for high current applications.
    one: such reels usually have rotary sliding contacts that have to carry the current. a significant failure point. Even though it won't be typically be rotating when in use.
    two: having a lot of current in wound up reels is bad because they can't cool well. If you have such a reel you should pull out all the cord before using. Which sort of defeats the point.

Third its going to be costly and heavy.

If you get one consider it for small tool convenience only. No table saws. No 12A routers. Just hand drills (but you have cordless anyways) trouble lights, orbital sanders perhaps.

Got one from HF which works but don't have a lot of watt-hours on it yet.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Ugh, that sort of makes it a moot point...

I guess I need to figure out how to make the wonder winder work better...

It slips too much.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I'm old skool, I just lay out the cord on the floor and roll it up by hand when I'm done if I'm tearing down the shop and turning it back into a garage. These reels look nice but for $100... wow. I typically only need to run one cord out to the middle of the garage as I only use one tool at a time (I have a 3-way splitter at the end so I can keep several plugged in) but have plenty of circuits in the garage and can run multiple cords if I have helpers doing things at the same time. And all my tools along the wall get plugged into one of my 6 20A circuits available so things like the dust collector are on their own circuit.

As for overheating, if you're like me tools tend to be run intermittently (turn them on for some cuts, then off for a bunch of setup, etc) and a 12gauge cord can support up to 20A so you're not really going to be pushing it's limits anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you're running something that's over 15A or so for long periods of time without shutting it off.

I did notice one of the Rockler reviews said that the 'wipers' inside started sparking, indicating some of the issues Loring mentioned with the rotating contacts.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have a cheaper, probably 16-18 gauge reel with a trouble light mounted in the center of my ceiling. That sucker has a way of unwinding just enough to whack me up side my head when I least expect it. Its about useless.
          My favorite cord is a 12 ga green Christmas decoration cord with outlets every 5 feet. That way I can overload the circuit without using the dreaded multi-plugs!

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Can't help you with an automatic one.

I use two of these and they are fantastic. Yes, you have to manually wind them up, but hey...more money to spend on other things.

I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cochese
              Can't help you with an automatic one.

I use two of these and they are fantastic. Yes, you have to manually wind them up, but hey...more money to spend on other things.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_140839-1373-...eel&facetInfo=
              those kind are OK because the outlets are in the hub and no sliding contact slipring is required. Just don't overload them.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have 2 of the "Wonder Winders" which sort of spool the cable up into a mesh basket. The big issue I have is the wheel that turns and rolls the cable in slips, a LOT... Sometimes it works flawlessly, but most of the time it slips. The problem is the rubber compound used was too hard / slick. I am just getting fed up with the crap shoot that is getting the cord back into the basket...

Lacking a reasonable self retracting solution, can anyone recommend how to make the Wonder Winder wheel grab the cord right?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  those kind are OK because the outlets are in the hub and no sliding contact slipring is required. Just don't overload them.
                  There's a breaker/overload reset built in so I'm covered there as well. Actually does work, it has tripped a couple of times.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's a breaker/overload reset built in so I'm covered there as well. Actually does work, it has tripped a couple of times.

the problem with the overload breaker is that it doesn't know if the cord is out or coiled tightly. If its coiled tightly the current carrying capacity should be reduced because of potential heat build-up.

Incidentally the same goes for a tightly coiled extension cord. If you are using a tightly coiled cord for high current (for its gauge) e.g. more than 10A in a 16Ga cord more than 25 feet long, you should release the ties and let the cord spill open to be able to cool itself.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-09-2014, 05:57 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

It's never coiled while in use. Remember I have a 25-35 foot distance to cover.

I would think ideally you want just enough cord to reach where you want.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                        Lacking a reasonable self retracting solution, can anyone recommend how to make the Wonder Winder wheel grab the cord right?
                        Two thoughts come to mind.
                        Belt dressing for auto fan belts.
                        Lightly sanding the rollers
                        and a third, the cleaner used on copy machine rollers and rubber like pick up fingers that clean and soften the surface.

And a clean cord might help too.

Bill
                        on the left coast

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                          Two thoughts come to mind.
                          Belt dressing for auto fan belts.
                          Lightly sanding the rollers
                          and a third, the cleaner used on copy machine rollers and rubber like pick up fingers that clean and soften the surface.

And a clean cord might help too.

Bill
                          on the left coast
                          and maybe a cord that's not 15 years old....
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

What's the amp capacity of those reels (e.g. what's the trip current of the breaker)?

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              and maybe a cord that's not 15 years old....
                              Actually both cords are 3 years old

Comment

Working...