• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

brad nails

what's the difference between these two packages? How does HF get 1000 brad nails in the box when the other (same sized) box I have has only 500?

The other box is empty now, but it does appear that the HF has 10 strips of 100.

I guess the other box wasn't full... I think it came with a brad nailer which would explain why... looks bigger in the case compartment provided for it. Also explains the generic look.
    Attached Files
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Do the HF brad nails work ok in other brands of pnuematics? Ive looked at their offerings and have always put them back because I was unsure if they would work. As usual when I have the opportunity to pick up extra supplies at a bargan I go brain stupid and can't remember which size and length I am short of, and decide that I'll but them when I get back and get the right size. The prices didn't look that much different than big box. ????

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      what's the difference between these two packages? How does HF get 1000 brad nails in the box when the other (same sized) box I have has only 500?

The other box is empty now, but it does appear that the HF has 10 strips of 100.

I guess the other box wasn't full... I think it came with a brad nailer which would explain why... looks bigger in the case compartment provided for it. Also explains the generic look.
      There you go. The 'get you started' free supply.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. HF has been messing with their products again... My last box of brad nails from them was for 500 nails...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          Do the HF brad nails work ok in other brands of pnuematics? Ive looked at their offerings and have always put them back because I was unsure if they would work. As usual when I have the opportunity to pick up extra supplies at a bargan I go brain stupid and can't remember which size and length I am short of, and decide that I'll but them when I get back and get the right size. The prices didn't look that much different than big box. ????
          yes, I think so. 18 ga. brad nails are pretty much interchangeable between guns, I've not had problems with mixed brands of nails in my several 18 ga guns (a bostitch, Craftsman and HF).
          I've used other brands of nails in the HF guns so I think the opposite will also be true. I'll find out shortly... there is still a few nails of that size from the old box still in the craftsman gun.

as for price, i think the 1000 piece box was $2.29 or $2.99 at HF (plus a free flashlight) and I think in my Amazon shopping cart I have a 5000 piece dewalt box (same length) for $12, free Prime shipping. So its comparable.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I only have HF guns (18 and 16 gauge) and a Grizzly 18 gauge nailer/stapler. The two 18s share the same HF brads with no problem. The Grizzly gun is nicer, though, and I'm favoring it more.

The only time I get a jam with my HF gun is when I load a new strip of nails behind an almost used strip. The jam happens at the junction of the two strips. Now I let the first strip run out before I load the next one.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              I ...The only time I get a jam with my HF gun is when I load a new strip of nails behind an almost used strip. The jam happens at the junction of the two strips. Now I let the first strip run out before I load the next one.
              I have the same issue with my HF brad / finish nailer. The 16 ga orange one... If I put a fresh strip in before the old one runs out, I end up with a jam loading the last of the old nails... But if I just let the old nails run out, no jam...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jAngiel
                • Oct 2003
                • Ryobi BT3100

Their normal sized nails work well for me in any brand gun that I have (16, 18 gauge). The HF pin nails suck, they jam in the HF pin nailer all the time but the bostich pins I bought at Lowes work great.
                James

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jAngiel
                  Their normal sized nails work well for me in any brand gun that I have (16, 18 gauge). The HF pin nails suck, they jam in the HF pin nailer all the time but the bostich pins I bought at Lowes work great.
                  Oh yeah. I also have the HF pin nailer. I don't have any more luck with it than you. However, my pins don't jam. They just don't get set deep enough.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                    Oh yeah. I also have the HF pin nailer. I don't have any more luck with it than you. However, my pins don't jam. They just don't get set deep enough.
                    What pressure are you regulating to? If you are too low it won't set. I found that out with mine when I forgot to adjust the regulator back up after spraying...

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
                      What pressure are you regulating to? If you are too low it won't set. I found that out with mine when I forgot to adjust the regulator back up after spraying...
                      My regulator stays at 100+psi. I don't touch it regardless of what I'm using.
                      It wasn't every pin that didn't set, but it was enough that I don't bother using it anymore.

Comment

Working...