• Show
Clear All
  • oakchas
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Jefferson City, TN, USA
    • BT3000

Oh, and The Ric asked:
    So glancing around Homier / HDC they seem similar to HF. Is this correct, or are they better / worse?
    They're comparable.. It's Chinese stuff... But they have some things that HF doesn't... like the mobile tool stand at a reasonable price... and maybe the portable mitersaw station.

It's possible the bearings on the router aren't as high a quality as the Bosch... But mine has served me well for the last two years. At that price though, you could buy a whole new unit for the price of the replacement bearings for the Bosch...

Always looking for Big Bang - Small Bucks. this is one of those little known gems.

Charlie

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Charlie,
      Many years ago my wife gave me a present - a rotozip. This was at the time when I did not know what router was. I used rotozip to cut drywall. Later my wife got on clearance a piece of hard surface countertop - I cut that one with rotozip too. Then I got into woodwork and bought some real routers. And one day I found a plunge base that fits my rotozip at big lots for a grand total of $4. Paired with that plunge base rotozip makes a nice trim router. It is also a Bosch product and it has pretty much same specs as Colt. In some sense - I got my trim router for $4.
      As for buying expensive tools vs cheap tools - if I were a professional kitchen counter installer - I would have bought Colt without hesitation. Reason is simple- if it saves me 2 hours of my time over a lifetime of a product - it is paid off. But trim router is a specialized tool that excels only in one task. If this is not the task I do regularly - I don't want to buy and then care for specialized tool that does not see enough use. Hobbyist woodworker like I should probably be sticking to more general purpose tools that get used on many projects. There are not many tasks that trim router can do but regular router cannot (if any). May be trim router is better suited for some tasks but I don't have enough room in my workshop for all the tools that are available for sale. For a task I don't do often I will use the tool I have if it can do the job even if it is not the the best tool for it. I would not have bought rotozip today because I am sure my routers can handle cutting drywall in the amounts I need. But since I already have I will be using it as a trim router as well.
      Alex V

Comment

• ssmith1627
        • Dec 2005
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone know anything about their jointers ? 8" jointer for $299 sounds like a pretty darn good deal.

Similar quality to HF ? The drawback is that HF is local to me so I can just pick up from their place.

Steve

EDIT: Yeah, $160 for shipping kills my interest in that one.
        Last edited by ssmith1627; 11-29-2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• oakchas
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Jefferson City, TN, USA
          • BT3000

Originally posted by vaking
          Charlie,
          Many years ago my wife gave me a present - a rotozip. This was at the time when I did not know what router was. I used rotozip to cut drywall. Later my wife got on clearance a piece of hard surface countertop - I cut that one with rotozip too. Then I got into woodwork and bought some real routers. And one day I found a plunge base that fits my rotozip at big lots for a grand total of $4. Paired with that plunge base rotozip makes a nice trim router. It is also a Bosch product and it has pretty much same specs as Colt. In some sense - I got my trim router for $4.
          As for buying expensive tools vs cheap tools - if I were a professional kitchen counter installer - I would have bought Colt without hesitation. Reason is simple- if it saves me 2 hours of my time over a lifetime of a product - it is paid off. But trim router is a specialized tool that excels only in one task. If this is not the task I do regularly - I don't want to buy and then care for specialized tool that does not see enough use. Hobbyist woodworker like I should probably be sticking to more general purpose tools that get used on many projects. There are not many tasks that trim router can do but regular router cannot (if any). May be trim router is better suited for some tasks but I don't have enough room in my workshop for all the tools that are available for sale. For a task I don't do often I will use the tool I have if it can do the job even if it is not the the best tool for it. I would not have bought rotozip today because I am sure my routers can handle cutting drywall in the amounts I need. But since I already have I will be using it as a trim router as well.
          I agree with most everything you say... but the Trim router is not a specialized tool any more than a Roto-Zip is.. And there are lots of tight spaces where a small unit like your RZ or a trim router are ideal... less Base to balance on a board edge for example... Cutting drywall is another.. in fact, tha's why I bought the Trim router... it was an impulse buy at a homier truckload sale.. but I'd seen a trim router used to cut out window openings and electrical boxes when the pros were hanging the rock in my house.. figured I'd get it for that alone. It has certainly come in handy in many ways since then... But >$100.00 is Not an IMPULSE buy for me.... Not that I'm conservative by any means.... Just always comparing potential use to price... Bang for the buck if you will.

I see in another post about issues with this "new fangled" palm router by bosch.. and I wonder WHY?

Even if I were a professional counter top installer... If I could buy something that did the job for 1/10 the price... even if it were say, 2/3 as fast.... I'd be hard pressed to spend the dollars... Employees lose stuff all the time... contractors get their trailers robbed frequently... $10 is cheap to replace... $>100.00 not so much...

this thread kinda started as a lark... just to see if the folks here were inclined to think in a different way.... I think most here are... after all, alot of us bought a "toy" saw that any (and every) body else, scoffed at!

Comment

• jarhead
            • May 2004
            • Boynton Beach, FL.

Got one

I do own Bosch Colt trim router, but still decided to see what the fuss was all about the Homier. I figured for $10 I can take a chance. Let me tell you something... what a piece of junk! From the trim router itself to the edge guide, the wrench, and the rest of the "gadgets". I will hang it in my shop as a reminder to always save the money until I have enough to buy a quality tool.

Comment

Working...