• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

what model is this?

Any of you old-timers recognize this saw model?

Trying to figure out if it runs 110, and whether it has a universal motor or an induction motor.
    Last edited by durango dude; 01-05-2014, 01:02 AM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't know those old saws by name or number. But I do know of the technology used.

I'm going to venture to say that all the old table saws like that used induction motors.
    Only the compact inexpensive benchtop direct drive saws that became available in the 90s had universal motors as a cost and weight and space savings measure. Then the BT3x was a pretty much unique exception as a belt driven saw with a universal motor... it has some identity crises as to whether its a table saw or a benchtop table saw or maybe just a precision woodcutting system. Anyway the universal motor puts it (the BT3) out of the heavy duty realm where you can cut continuously all day with it.

I'm also going to guess that if its 1.75 HP like he claims it is dual-winding induction motor so it can run off 110 (15A) or 220 (7.5A) depending upon how its hooked up.
    If it was a 3 HP then probably it would be 220 only (or maybe 220/440V) and then it might be three-phase if intended for an industrial operation initially or one-phase for a smaller shop.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-05-2014, 03:03 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Loring summed up my thoughts exactly. Except for the 440. I wasn't thinking that big.
      Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Just a quick bit of checking over at owwm, shows me that, that, is either a King Seeley model or a later Emerson Electric (acquired parts of King Seeley from what I have read) with the heavy duty upgrade.
        Emerson Electric (last year according to this was 1966 for this model):

Early King Seeley model:
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

There's a member on the woodnet forum who restored one of those saws, adding a t square fence in the process. As I recalled, it turned out quite well and he liked it a great deal. Probably a 1.5 hp motor. The fence will need replacing with either a t2 or a vega40, which will result in a nice, very functional, saw.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I have a friend with one (I think it is the same one). It looks like a cabinet saw, but the motor still hangs out the back on his like a contractor's saw.

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011

Owner says "110 volts --- but 30 amps" ----- holy smokes!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by durango dude
                Owner says "110 volts --- but 30 amps" ----- holy smokes!
                that's totally inconsistent with his claim of a 1.75 HP motor.
                30A@110V would be like a 3 HP or 3.5HP saw.

Get him to take a picture of the nameplate and nameplate on the motor! Probably the saw was made to take a motor of either power rating and therefore the key is whats on the motor. my only thought is that maybe is the Locked Rotor Amps (LRA)? That's not the continuous fullload running current. If its LRA the nameplate would say that.

Locked rotor current is usually twice the rated current. Sears for a while was infamous for using locked rotor current o rate the power of its machines, it made the developed power as they called it, twice the usual continuous power. Developed power is with the rotor locked. A machine using that much power would not do any useful work (zero movemment of the rotor), and would burn up in very short order.

Aslo you probably want to see the motor, whether it hangs out the back like a contractor saw or its totally enclosed in the stand/cabinet like a cabinet saw.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011

well ---- I'm now an honorary BT3 member.......
                  (if you guys will have me)

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Induction or universal motor, the point is that this saw has more going for it at 40+ years old that about any under $1000 saw on the market does today. If you were to strip this saw down on the floor the guts would be indistinguishable between a Powermatic 2000 or a Delta Unisaw. A wider table, a modern rip fence and good blade guard and you are in business.
                    capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude
                      well ---- I'm now an honorary BT3 member.......
                      (if you guys will have me)
                      Keep in mind, BT3Central is migrating albeit long term at this point, to Sawdustzone... You are always welcome!

Nice older saw...

Just FWIW, I would suggest you keep your BT around and restore that older Craftsman. That is a nice piece of equipment that deserves a fresh coat of paint, and a polished top etc...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...