• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Twizzlers or Red Vines?

I grew up on the East Coast and the only type of red licorice I ever saw and ate was Twizzlers. Then I lived on the West Coast for several years and although they had Twizzlers, they also had something called Red Vines which the locals favored. I could never get used to the taste of them--even when they were free--and I am happy that I am back in Twizzler country!
    Twizzlers
    73.53%
    Red Vines
    26.47%

The poll is expired.

• Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

Red vines all the way. I never liked the taste of twizzlers.
    Last edited by Sawatzky; 01-07-2014, 11:27 PM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Certainly not a complete quiz, as it is missing Super Ropes (the first licorice I remember having as a kid), as well as the debate my family would have; black or red.

Then you could break down the Twizzlers side, by Strawberry or Cherry and traditional, verses peel and pull.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

None of the above. I just chew on a piece of sugar cane.
        Never did care for licorice, don't care how you dress it up.
        Lee

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

None of the above. Not a fan of red licorice. Prefer the traditional black...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I voted Twizzlers... though I'm certainly not a big consumer. But that is the only brand I see around here in NY's southern tier.

If you go a long time without having it, the first time seems to have flavor but after that it's just red and chewey. Too much sugar for me anyway, so we rarely have any kind. If I'm going to sacrifise myself with "candy", I may as well just go chocolate.

I'm only Type 2 and keep it under control with diet and pills... but sometimes a bit of chocolate is just worth the headache that will come later.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

So glad to see this covered...

My wife and two daughters like Twizzlers. I think they taste like they have a filler -- perhaps flour? Not sweet enough for me.

But, the advantage to liking Red Vines is that I would buy both, and they would leave my supply alone, at least until they ran out of Twizzlers. Things would get ugly. I would have to resort to hiding my own little stash.

Black licorice? I'd use that to fill driveway seams if I had any ...
              Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Speaking of black licorice...have you tried the black licorice from Europe? It doesn't just have the anise flavor I associate with black licorice but they add ammonium chloride to it. We had a woman from Sweden bring in a bag to work. She offered me a piece, I took a bite, and my immediate reflex was to spit it out. I have NEVER done that with anything ever (and I like durian). I apologized profusely while she laughed. She said it's an acquired taste but she would finish off the bag if she had the chance.

Oddly only the women at work seemed to like it.

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

I've had that and I think it's why I don't care for any of it.
                  Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

At my previous job our factory made MARS version of twizzler, that was Starburst Fruit Twist, which was flavored with Starburst candy flavoring. Good stuff. I ate so much of it that now I can't eat any candy. And yes, it all has flour in it. This is probably the simplest type candy to make on the market.
                    capncarl.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • Barrie ON Canada
                      • BT 3000

Twizzlers. I had never heard of red vines until last weekend we were watching a big bang and someone was drinking a drink through a red vine.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...