X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I wonder if Beta testers actually use software or just play with it. If you are just playing, then it doesn't matter so much where things are and you care how it looks. I don't care a bit about appearance, I care only about getting work done in as little time as possible. The Word we upgraded to has the commands for changing footers and headers in the "Insert" menu tab. How did they come up with that? Only one example of the silly changes.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
      Okay, it took me about 11 versions to get the Shark Guard where I wanted it.

I started with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. That means I gotta wait a few more versions for a mature product. Wow!
      Did you get an apology for MS Bob?

Originally posted by Stytooner
      On kind of a related note, but not really. How many of us ever take the time to fill out software survey's?
      I know MS has teams of Beta users. I wonder if they truly listen to them though?
      I wonder how many people actually get surveys?

The Beta users/customers have caused 8 to get the 8.1 to come out (although I haven't heard any success stories) as well as Windows 7 to be offered on more machines, after it wasn't supposed to be. (although some of us would prefer they just had a no os option, but then again, it took me a LONG time to start using icon's in a word processor rather then the text menu)

EDIT: While this is surely humor, there have been some famous Microsoft moments on camera. Bill Gates BSOD, with Windows 98, his presentation fail with Conan O'Brian, some other presenter with a frozen Surface tablet, etc. Steve Job's hasn't been immune from it either. I haven't seen any video with Linux having issues but I know he has had issues, since he tests kernel code and such.
      Last edited by LinuxRandal; 02-12-2014, 12:40 AM.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• RAV2
        Established Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Massachusetts

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
        I didn't like the windows Metro interface at all. I installed a tool called Classic Shell that made my Windows desktop just like XP or Windows 7. It really made things much easier and the adjustment much faster.

Via Tapatalk on Android
        I bought two tablet/pc hybrids for Christmas for my kids.

I also installed classic shell.

Both kids, juniors in high school, hated them. Fast forward 1 week and I can't get them away from them.

Win 8.1 is a nice operating system that lets them use all of their favorite Win7 programs and when they want to - detach their keyboard and use the devices like a tablet.

ALSO, Win 8 is much more memory efficient, so don't be afraid to buy a device with 2GB of RAM. They are extremely efficient and very fast!

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Well Windows 8 became a real issue rather than a potential one for me last night. I'm loosing a spot for my 2008 vintage desktop in the move. It runs Vista and should probably be replaced anyway. I like using a laptop in my recliner a lot more than a desktop at a desk so it is a good thing. But I don't like to spend money so I could only get really old machines refurbished or off lease or Windows 8. So I bit the bullet and got a Toshiba with an i3, 8GB of Ram, and a 750GB hard drive for $370. Seems like a good deal. Not a real fast processor but my needs are modest. Maybe I don't need 8GB but I do like to have a lot of things open at the same time sometimes.

I wasn't hating Windows 8 totally until it came time to turn the machine off. Click in the upper right corner and then click through several more stupidly named icons to turn a machine off? Where do they get this stuff? There were other annoyances - like the forced attempt to get you to use Microsoft email - like we don't already have email accounts? How stupid can you possibly be?

Ranting off, I am now looking at Classic Shell but also googled up favorable comments on Start8. I see a couple guys like Classic Shell so I'll probably go that way but anybody try Start8? What I want is just something that doesn't get in the way and waste my time. I have to use Windows 7 at work and found it relatively painless versus XP. Vista at home also wasn't a huge issue when I was using XP or Windows 7. But Windows 8 is just weird and not in a good way.

One thing I will say is even my modest new machine was fast. My work laptop is an i5 processor and slower but it also has a lot more junk on it. When I get the new machine loaded up, we'll see. But I think it will at least be adequate.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

are discussions about Win vs Mac religion or politics?
            Just kidding.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Windows verses Mac is politics. Both closed source, verses open source, is Religion.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I put Start8 on my new computer last night and initial impressions are favorable. I spent most of the night on the phone with Microsoft, however. They have a "home use" program where I can buy the microsoft suite for $10 because my employer buys a lot form Microsoft. It took several hours for Microsoft to get their software to load properly on my machine, however. The only thing I seemed to have done that contributed is not having a Microsoft "account" referencing my work email address. There is nothing in the instructions saying you need to do that but I think it was part of the problem the two techs from Microsoft was having. Finally the second one had an idea that worked.

3 wasted hours on the phone is just another reason to love Microsoft. I might have mentioned how much I love Windows 8 once or twice. The Microsoft technicians didn't react. They were actually very nice and professional. But no software should take 3 hours to debug on installation.

Comment

Working...