X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodynoob
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2013

BT3000 and 8.25" blade

I picked up a Forrest Woodworker 8.25" blade in new condition at a garage sale. I guess it is for a radial saw? Is it worthwhile to use it in my BT? If I do, what can I expect ?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What size and shape arbor hole?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

It will work OK, I'm assuming the arbor hole is the std. 5/8"
      If it's thinner than .093 kerf then the splitter /riving knife might not work
      You'll lose a bit of maximum cutting height... about 7/8" which means you can still cut up to over 2" deep, probably about 2-1/2", down from 3.5" that you have with a 10" blade.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodynoob
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        It will work OK, I'm assuming the arbor hole is the std. 5/8"
        If it's thinner than .093 kerf then the splitter /riving knife might not work
        You'll lose a bit of maximum cutting height... about 7/8" which means you can still cut up to over 2" deep, probably about 2-1/2", down from 3.5" that you have with a 10" blade.
        I've confirmed it is a 5/8 round arbor hole. It's definitely not thinner than .093. In fact, it's 1/8 inch. Is that too thick for a BT3000? I thought I had read that 1/8" kerf blades on smaller saws are not a good idea?

I have a Freud 10" blade on my saw that works very nicely. (Can't recall the exact blade--maybe 40 or so teeth?) It was recommended in this forum, but I cannot remember who did so. Is there any reason to use the 8 1/4" Forrest blade on this saw instead of my Freud? I know the reputation of the Forrest Woodworker blades, but this is almost 2 inches less in diameter and has a thicker kerf.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have a large number of new 7 1/2 inch carbide tip blades that I sometimes use on my saw with good luck. I use them when cutting questionable wood that may have nails and other blade destroying objects in it. The tip speed on a smaller than 10 inch diameter blade will be somewhat less than the intended 10 inch blade and could possible cause chipping, maybe burning or maybe nothing. I'd say use it if you have it and save your 10" blade for the good stuff.
          capncarl

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

A narrow kerf is more efficient but there is no reason to not use a full kerf blade. Your saw will spin it just fine.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

What about the riving knife though. Is it a good idea to use a full kerf blade with a thin kerf Riving Knife? Is that safe or will the thickness difference allow the workpiece to close in on the back of the blade and cause kickback?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by woodynoob
                I've confirmed it is a 5/8 round arbor hole. It's definitely not thinner than .093. In fact, it's 1/8 inch. Is that too thick for a BT3000? I thought I had read that 1/8" kerf blades on smaller saws are not a good idea?

I have a Freud 10" blade on my saw that works very nicely. (Can't recall the exact blade--maybe 40 or so teeth?) It was recommended in this forum, but I cannot remember who did so. Is there any reason to use the 8 1/4" Forrest blade on this saw instead of my Freud? I know the reputation of the Forrest Woodworker blades, but this is almost 2 inches less in diameter and has a thicker kerf.
                effect of kerf is reduced when using a smaller diameter, takes less work to drive the blade through shorter distance so its a good tradeoff. It'll be OK.

diameter reduction of 2" is a radius reduction of 1 inch (actually 7/8" in this case so you only lose 1" out of three and a half inches, hardly any cuts are made at 3" range.

Still, unless you like the WWII cut better there's no real reason to take off the Freud.

as for the riving knife question you don't want to use a RK that's wider than the kerf but you have to use one thinner than the kerf. I think it will be OK
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodynoob
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2013

Thanks for the tips.

For the record, it is not labeled a WoodWorker II, but just says WoodWorker. The blade is in immaculate condition--so beautiful!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

There is a custom Forrest Woodworker blade, that is talked about on the DeWalt ras forums. I believe there was also a standard one for the ras that was a different grind.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...