• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've cut all kinds of tubing with my tubing cutter, including mild and stainless steel.

Regarding the "denting", I suggest you simply don't turn the tubing cutter too tight. It's always best to make mild rotating cuts rather than turning the knob too tight. (My Dad taught me how to use a tubing cutter when I was only 12 tor so.) My particular tubing cutter has an accessory that allows a quick debur of the ID. IIRC, there is also a deburring tool that you could buy, or simply use a round file to dress the cut end.

I think many of us sometimes forget the efficiency and usefulness of 'old-fashioned' tools, in favor of using powered anything. We get so used to grabbing the big tools that the old-fashioned manual tools are sometimes forgotten.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Tubing cutters, out of the plumbing section, without the special stainless steel cutting wheel, are used all the time for cutting stainless brake lines, for vehicle repairs. Just start with it so it just scratches the surface and tighten slowly, as you go.
      The cutters for stainless, are probably better for thicker walled tubing then what is mostly used, I would think (maybe for something like medical air lines).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...