X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Looking for htpc video card / universal remote

Last year my video card on my pc went down and instead of replacing it I decided it was time to upgrade the entire comp instead. So now I'm thinking to using the old comp and turn it into an htpc. I'll probably be only running xbmc on it. Any suggestions on a video card. I'd like to stay under $75 and really don't want to go over $125.

Also I've read alot of people installing openelec now instead on windows? Thoughts? Any advantage either way. Again xmbc only.

Oh and I'm in the market for a Universal remote. Getting tired of having to switch between devices. I'd want it to control a uverse stb, blu-ray, roku, htpc, and a future receiver. Logitech harmony seems to be the popular choice but they have several models. Suggestions. It would be nice to have the lcd stuff but not necessary.
    Last edited by jussi; 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Just saw this on slickdeals. What do you think of the video card?

Newegg.com offers the best prices on computer products, laptop computers, LED LCD TVs, digital cameras, electronics, unlocked phones, office supplies, and more with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Newegg shopping upgraded ™
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jussi
      Just saw this on slickdeals. What do you think of the video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4131547&cm_sp=
      not exactly your under $75 card...

what do you plan to do - just watch streaming video or are you gaming?

streaming video doesn't really take a high end card.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• catta12
        Established Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Reno, NV
        • BTS20R

I use a Harmony Ultimate for my HTPC, but you can go with any of the Harmony universals that can learn commands and be fine. You will need a PC remote adapter like this one that I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, other options work too. LCHIEN is right, no reason to go crazy on the vid card.
        If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Unless for some reason, you have both a tv and the drives and video in a format that displays more then 1080, I would look at cards that have HDMI and can display 1080. You might have to spend more for now older tech (like AGP) I set up the search parameters on Newegg for HDMI and Lowest price first and the first one (effectively $28) was well liked for home entertainment (but not a gaming machine).

I can't speak to the remotes, as the only person in my family that tried to go to a universal remote, didn't like the Logitech harmony, she was given.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i got a Intel core i5 with internal graphics and a Mobo that had HDMI porrt for internal graphics support for the PC that does our living room media.

Works fine for the streaming my wife does over the internet.

No fancy graphics card.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...