• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Trouble in First Day on the Job - WIN 8 Update

I am editing my first post because I think this is probably satire. But it does express my experiences with friends computers.

Click here

But it is funny anyway!
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

If it isn't Satire then Window 9 will be out by Friday. This will be an exact copy of the Original windows. or maybe DOS 2.11 Really though the secret got out Bill uses a MAC Air.

Tom

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

Hard not to wonder if it truly is satire. I worked for a small product development company for the past couple years, and the software guys were buying parts to build more PCs that could run Win 7 or XP. They had one new machine with Win 8 and hated it.

My newest laptop in the house is Win 7, and main system is XP. I'm going to Macs next go around. Love the iPad I'm using now, and my wife and I moved to iPhones last year. I'm just too old to mess around with PCs any more. I'd rather be making sawdust ...
      Lee

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

It's Andy Borowitz, ergo satire!

Comment

• Eric
          • Jun 2003
          • Cocolalla, ID
          • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I still have windows 8, upgraded it to 8.1, then to the pro version for compliance issues and have had zero problems.

I don't understand the problems people have with it. I must be an anomaly.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Dumped Windows last fall went to an iMac, iPad, and iPhone much happier. Yahoo upgraded my Email accounts against my wishes, I have all my email accounts on my Apple machines and none of the yahoo advertisement and other junk. Wife refused to change to iMac and she constantly complains, I just smile and go in a try to straighten it out. It is much easier to keep my iMac simple without all the add on's window wants. Use Google and Safari as my browsers. Not one crash, or hang up, blue screen since I have had it. Except when my 3 year old Grandson got on and managed to crash it for me was able to restore it with no problem, he also managed to crash my iPad also. Now both iMac and iPad are pass word protected,

Tom

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

I have had one encounter with Win 8 trying to fix a laptop for a friend. I did not consider it a happy encounter.

For my part I just finished a rebuild of my desktop from XP SP3 to Win 7 x64. So far very happy with the results. I put in lots of planning to be sure drivers were available and software would run.

I hope I am good for several years.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

"Your mouse has moved. Please restart the system."

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Paul Thurrott on Win 8.1

Well, this thread started with a satire thread post, but Paul Thurrott thinks it is a reality!

Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Eric
                    I still have windows 8, upgraded it to 8.1, then to the pro version for compliance issues and have had zero problems.

I don't understand the problems people have with it. I must be an anomaly.
                    The biggest issues folks have with Windows 8 is the what we at work call the "Somebody moved my cheese factor". For the most part computer users HATE major change, and let's be honest, the user interface to Windows 8 is a radical departure from WinXP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 etc... I know LOTS of users that still run XP because they simply don't want to learn where new stuff is... THis major change has actually pushed a lot of users, maybe not huge numbers, but enough to be significant business boosters to both desktop Linux, and MacOS boxes...

With Canonical / Ubuntu trying to make their mobile OS more like a desktop experience instead of the other way around, I would bet they are, once the iron the wrinkles out, more likely to succeed where Microsoft is failing in keeping users engaged with their product...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I agree that a lot of the problem is we don't like change. What I do not get is why people selling computer software seem to think we like it. If Ford moves the ignition switch, do they think it will sell more cars? So why does Microsoft think making me hunt for commands in their software will help them? It seems like extreme arrogance. I think that complicates it.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

I didn't like the windows Metro interface at all. I installed a tool called Classic Shell that made my Windows desktop just like XP or Windows 7. It really made things much easier and the adjustment much faster.

Via Tapatalk on Android
                        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas
                        => Bade's Personal Web Log
                        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Okay, it took me about 11 versions to get the Shark Guard where I wanted it.

I started with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. That means I gotta wait a few more versions for a mature product. Wow!
                          Lee

Comment

• JSUPreston
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Montgomery, AL.
                            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've read elsewhere that the story is satire, but BG has been known to "eat his own dog food" and go back to the staff at MS to fix stuff.

I finally upgraded from Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to Win 8.1 Enterprise at home. At first, I went straight from Windows 7 to 8.1...and other than my personal files, I lost everything. Even though I tried to research it, Win 7 to 8.1 is not a supported upgrade path. Fortunately, I run Server Essentials 2012 in a virtual machine and was able to restore my OS drive. Then, when I tried to upgrade from 7 to 8 Enterprise, it failed again. I had to upgrade to 8 Pro, and then I was able to upgrade to 8.1 Enterprise. Now that it's up, my machine is pretty fast. I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with the quad core with HT 3rd generation i7, 8GB RAM, and an SSD drive. After the post finishes, I have a logon screen waiting in less than 8 seconds.

Took the better part of a week to do it, since I don't work on my own computers that much...kinda like a plumber and his pipes.

Personally, Windows 8/8.1 without a touch screen SUCKS until Classic Shell or something similar is installed. I've worked with and supported Windows since 3.0, and have run every version (except ME) at home and/or work. I've supported OS/2 from 1.x to a little of 4.0. I've worked some with most Apple OSes since System 7. I've also supported Novell NetWare from 3.1x to 5.x, and I have to say that the new interface in Windows 8 is the biggest change since Windows 95...and it's not in a good way.

I understand Microsoft is trying to unify the interface of all their operating systems, but they are not doing it nearly as smoothly as Apple with OS X and iOS. I'm hoping MS will listen to the vast majority of users and will release an update that will remove the need for Classic Shell for most users.
                            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

On kind of a related note, but not really. How many of us ever take the time to fill out software survey's?

The last time I upgraded my Turbocad to version 20, they had really done some crazy stuff. Put normally used tools in totally different drop downs and sub menus. Swapped tool icons for something that does not even resemble the last icon etc.
                              I have been using TC since version 8, so long time user. I was really disappointed with them. When they sent me a survey to complete about my feelings on the upgrade, I let them have it. I am certain many many others did as well, because in the very first patch, which came out the next week, things were back to normal.
                              Excellent.
                              It is nice when software makers heed the advice of the customer base.
                              The speed in which one can do work in a program is directly related to the user's familiarity with the product. When you start making often used features hard to find for the frequent users, you ain't doin it right.
                              Love all the new tools and features. I can learn where those are, just don't trip me up on stuff that I don't even have to think to use because of familiarity.

I know MS has teams of Beta users. I wonder if they truly listen to them though?
                              Lee

Comment

Working...