• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Saw Horse design? Buy or build?

As in the title, I am looking for suggestions. I have always built quick and dirty 2x4 saw horses, but the ones I currently have are over 10 years old and have seen a lot of rough use.
    What kind of horses have you built or bought? I would like to see some that fold up and maybe hang on a wall. I have some available wall space.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lee
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Mine are all 2x6 tops that were bevel ripped to about 15° for 1x6 legs. Not exactly the space saving type you seem to want.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

look at post #6 in that thread, a horse made of 1-by lumber so it's light and easy to knock down. Not super heavy duty. It has a bit of sway side to side because of the 1-by legs but quite solid in the other direction - clever and it was fun to build.

clever part is that it has no screws or fasteners except for a peg wedge. Draws together tight and solid just by tapping the wedge in with a hammer. Each sawhorse has four identical legs and a stretcher.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• aiyou
        SawdustZone Patron
        • Mar 2006
        • Charlotte, NC
        • BT3100

Here are a couple that I've looked at.

Shopdog, with plans avaialble from http://www.woodshopdude.com/. This is a scissoring, collapsible design that can be hung on a wall when not in use.

There was also a sawhorse plan in ShopNotes 17 that had a telescoping/adjustable rest and legs that could be removed and stored in a bin that doubled as bracing. I think I saw this one originally from a BT3 member that had built one, but can't recall.

Have yet to build one though.

Rob

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks for the link Rob.
          I think I would like to do something like the Shop Dog.
          I do take issue though.
          He has many accessories. Supports. He could combine all three into one. Have the clamp slot. Bevel the top edges for pipe and cover it all with foam or carpet.
          It would be about $5 cheaper.

I like the miter saw station. My Miter saw is always stored, so never convenient.
          I find I plug in the circular saw more often because of this.
          With his solution, maybe it might be the other way around.
          Lee

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I bought a pair of these over 10 years ago and have been very happy with them:

I screwed a 2x6 on the top of each. They have taken plenty of abuse of the years and are as solid and tight as the day I bought them.
            Joe

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Since moving into the "new" house in October, the only sheet goods I've cut up is 7/16 wafterboard for my on-going attic project. To support it, I used some old plastic saw horses. They look flimsy but supported several sheets of the waferboard. The top also has no fasteners in it, so it won't damage saw blades. They fold when not in use. I will have a bench when I have a shop again but these worked fine for cutting up some sheet goods in the driveway.

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Stytooner
                Thanks for the link Rob.
                I think I would like to do something like the Shop Dog.
                I do take issue though.
                He has many accessories. Supports. He could combine all three into one. Have the clamp slot. Bevel the top edges for pipe and cover it all with foam or carpet.
                It would be about $5 cheaper.

I like the miter saw station. My Miter saw is always stored, so never convenient.
                I find I plug in the circular saw more often because of this.
                With his solution, maybe it might be the other way around.
                I missed the accessories/options first time i looked...I'm assuming the Giddy Up picture--the horns are on the bull in the background, not the girl?? Further guessing--that's a Longhorn??

I've got a pair of old (20+ years??) Portamates with folding legs. Probably paid too much at the time, but still rock solid. I do like that x-design of the Shop Dog though.

earl

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

How about a set of plywood knock down horses?
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Wood magazine had a design I liked several years ago. Never got around to building them. mine are finally shot so maybe it's time to dig out the plans. Don't remember if they were knock down, folding, or rigid. (I think they were rigid with replaceable top inserts)
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

I have a pair of the Stanley height-adjustable folding horses with extending tops. Pic here. A little pricey, but they've held up well for about ten years now. I also had a pair of similar el cheapos that I threw away a couple of months after I got them.

Husky (I think) makes a folding utility table/horse that looks interesting.

g.
                      Last edited by gsmittle; 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM. Reason: Added link
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

I was looking for this hinged, folding box-like stand made of plywood I saw some time ago, but couldn't find it. Collapsed almost completely flat for storage.

Here's another interesting collapsible design - I might have to try this out myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGhATl5nsTs
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

Another idea would be the collapsing design Ron Paulk uses on his workbench plans. It is just plywood with webbing to connect the two pieces at the top and bottom.
                          Last edited by JimD; 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

I used some gift cards and got lucky (they were on sale for $20 each) and picked up four of these several years back.

Task Force Folding Steel Adjustable Sawhorse from Lowe's if the link doesn't work.
                            I went this route, so I wouldn't worry about them rotting and they fold up and fit under the toolbox of the truck I drove at the time.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Rslaugh
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                              • Ridgid

shop dogs

i built a pair of the shop dogs mentioned by aiyou to keep over at the boat. I also built a cutting frame that fits on top of them to cut plywood and such. I was over this weekend working around the piles of snow. If i get over this weekend I'll take some pics. I like them because they fold up and are easy to carry and store under the boat.
                              Rick
                              IG: @rslaugh_photography
                              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

Working...