• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How Reliable Is Snopes.Com?

Here is an interesting thread from another forum.
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I found it interesting that they seemed to think the husband/wife team home business was news. I thought everyone knew about snopes and it founders years ago.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Some of the political snopes.com postings make it plainly obvious that they are not unbiased.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Over here in Japan some years ago, I saw on the news of one famous American who took a trip to another country, made a speech claiming things he had done. I laughed and knew better. My sister and BIL from the same state as the famous person saw the gaffe on their news too because of course it made news in that state. The Snopes has always maintained and slanted the news as being inaccurate because he never said that in any speech in the US.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

According to snopes.com, snopes.com is completely accurate and legit. Therefore, it must be so...

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Political leanings aside, I have found them to be very accurate when I have investigated what they have said. 9 times out of 10, I'm chasinig down a virus type rumor there, but I have found them to be accurate in that regard.
            Just my 2 cents, as they say.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              According to snopes.com, snopes.com is completely accurate and legit. Therefore, it must be so...
              I just checked that out. They claim they never said that.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Whoever wrote that article was a complete idiot. All you have to do is go to the Snopes site and they tell you exactly who they are.

But most of the "research" comes from the Snopes forums... I used to actively participate there -- people would quickly get to the bottom of most any rumor. Then all David or Barbara would have to do is make a few phone calls or emails to verify, and post it.

Not sure why this is so scandalous... They actively tell you to check your own facts, and they always give references. They even started some "fake" legends, with the disclaimer that they were fake in the references, just to prove that you should never take anyone's word, including theirs, as gospel...

It also really irks me when someone gives a single example of why they think something is biased. And for the record, I lean quite conservative, so I'm not just "sticking up for the liberals"...

-Tim

Edit by Hank: Tim, Many apologies to you. I meant to respond to this and accidently hit "edit" rather than "reply with quote" - which buttons are next to each other. Thanks to Alex, I was able to re-store the post.
                Last edited by leehljp; 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I checked and Snopes said that Cabinetman may or may not be real. He's listed as "unconfirmed".
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've found it a pretty good resource. Besides, I'm not sure they ever tried to hide who they are... From their site:

Oh, and I wouldn't consider Wikipedia the "tell all final word" either. Who's to stop someone from modifying some obscure Wikipedia article to say what they want it to say, then citing what they wrote as a reference?

Q: Who creates the material for this site?

A: With very few exceptions, all of the material on this site is prepared by the same people who operate this site, Barbara and David Mikkelson.

Q: How do I know the information you've presented is accurate?

A: We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site's name indicates that it contains reference pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.
                    Last edited by Alex Franke; 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM.
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Tim's reply

I want to apologize to Tim for hitting the wrong button and basically deleting his post through "editing". The "editing" button and "quote/reply" are next to each other. Thanks to Alex, I was able to restore the original.

from Tim: It also really irks me when someone gives a single example of why they think something is biased. And for the record, I lean quite conservative, so I'm not just "sticking up for the liberals"...

I don't agree with the assumptions on a "single" example. The expectation under your view point is that - an individual should have several examples before a post can be seen as valid. "Problems" start with one example - and not everyone has personal knowledge of "several". If "one" is an aberration, a single negative post will show it as such - as can often be seen in Amazon ratings of some good products; but if not, several "single examples" by individuals will show up traits. Each is necessary.

I _know_ what I and my wife saw on Japanese news about 10 years go from a TV interview/speech clip in a South American country. My Sister and BIL saw the same clip in the US. Snopes deals with the issue based on US interview, not other country interview. Concerning the US interview, Snopes said that the famous person made a poor choice of words and didn't really mean it that way. That is a subjective slant rather than objective reporting.
                      Mentioned above was the example of Snopes not following up on a specific untruth. Neither of us had information of the other, but together one by one, traits can be seen. Single examples add up! And there are probably more out there.

Snopes does a good service, but they do slant things on occasion and I am cautious before accepting their input.
                      Last edited by leehljp; 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...