• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

let's talk ladders

I have a two story house. It measures 20' from the eaves to the ground. However, the section at our MBR has the exterior wall rising up another 5'. For that reason, I'm shopping for a 32' extension ladder. All utility wires come in underground so I am leaning towards aluminum because of cost. I rented a 28' Al one before and it was crazy heavy. Are the Al ones lighter than the fiberglass? I think I read that they are.

I have also seen 3 section ladders that store more compactly, which is a bonus for me, but they've got be to even heavier, right?

Lastly, would you ever buy a used ladder of Craigslist? Even if an Al ladder was stored outside, I'd think as long as it worked and maybe the spring at the rung holder wasn't rusted, I'd be good to go. I'm not sure about fiberglass. Sounds like it starts to splinter when exposed outside too long.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Other than all the scammers on Craig's list it is a good source if contractors tools. The economy is tough on small contractors now and a lot have gotten rid of surplus tools or sold them all. I've seen a lot of ladders in pawn shops, if you can deal with them. I've also seen really good buys on ladders at yard sales. That would be from people like you that are tired of that big heavy thing filling up a corner. Other than using it once every 5 years on the side of your house what is a long ladder good for? Having a long ladder that everyone else borrows and you have to chase down when you need it? Filling up a corner that would nicely house a router table or compressor? If you are not going to use it very often I'd go for rent it!

I have a 16 or 18 fiberglass extension ladder in my way under the boat shed that I haven't used in 5 years that I wish my neighbor that borrowed my tile saw 5 years ago would come get and store it with the tile saw at his house.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

My local place rents 32' footers for $26/day and 28' footers for $22/day. If a new 32' is going to be $350 after tax, I'd have to do the whole job under 14 days to beat buying one. I dont see that happening, although, it would just be for the 2nd story since I do have a 16' ladder.

I'm definitely going to buy also for the convenience of not having to take the ladder on and off my car back to the rental place. When I'm done I'll debate whether I'll store it or resell it.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

If buying off of CL, I would inspect the ladder first. My first ladder was a used ladder, originally loaned to me so I could enter a neighbors second story window, after her 2 year old locked her out. The old timer told me to keep it and if he needed it, he would ask.
        What do you need to do? Could you use an extension pole instead? 32' is certainly going to be more then the 28', weight wise, that you rented. (maybe a close neighbor will let you use theirs to at least see, first)

I can't say about the fiberglass, as my next ladders were the Multiladder types. (both bought as bargains, for less then I could get locally) Cost verses use was my primary factor.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          What do you need to do? Could you use an extension pole instead? 32' is certainly going to be more then the 28', weight wise, that you rented. (maybe a close neighbor will let you use theirs to at least see, first)
          Going to paint the house. Now I'm thinking I will buy the 28' since it will be easier to move around than the 32', and rent the 32' for a day or two when I paint that one section. Total costs works out to a new 32'.

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Years ago I bought a heavy duty fiberglass extension ladder (28' Keller, as I recall). It was very sturdy, with very little of the unsettling flexing when fully extended, but what a bear to extend and move around. I stored it outside (under a deck) in Upstate NY, and never had problems with splintering. I did notice that the glossy gelcoat rubbed off on extension mating surfaces, which created friction when raising the extension. Periodic paste wax solved that.

I now have a 24' Werner aluminum (from Lowes) which has their "Equalizer" feet- they are great for placing on uneven ground, which I would highly recommend. It's plenty sturdy for my needs, and I wouldn't go back to fiberglass, mostly because of the weight.

Finally, with a 28' (assuming max extension of ~25', you might be able to reach the highest point of your house with roller extensions or the like.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

The strategy of getting a 28 and renting a 32 if you need it seems like a good idea. But if you want to get on the room at any point, you will need at least the 32. You need to get at least 3 feet over the edge of the roof if you want to get on and off comfortably. I used to go onto a 2 story roof from a 28 foot ladder but it had no extra length so I had to slither on my stomach and dangle off the edge. I do no recommend either.

I also recommend aluminum. Even with overhead electrical service it is not at all hard to keep your ladder off the wires. The penalty for messing up is high, however.

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

My understanding is that fiberglass will always be heavier than aluminum (given the same height ladders). The extra few feet you gain will feel exceptionally heavier once you try to stand it up. However, those few feet will be the god-send. I would get the aluminum ladder. The buy 28 and rent 32 is a great idea.

When looking at fiberglass ladder on CL, make sure there's no splinter as was mentioned. If the color of the fiberglass is well faded, that means the previous owner had been keeping it outdoor, which making it more likely to dev splinter in the future. Take that into account.

For aluminum ladder on CL, just make sure the legs are not twisted and all of the ribbits (sp?) are there as well as all of the rungs are still solidly attached to the legs.

I would recommend looking for a ladder stabilizer as well. Your ladder will feel much more solid with that on, especially true with the longer ladder.

Good luck!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've got a few inquiries out on CL now. It's predominantly fiberglass ones for sale. On the Werner site, the 300lb rated fiberglass ones are supposedly 3.5lbs more than the aluminum ones. 59.5lbs vs 56lbs. It's going to be heavy any way you look at it. Hopefully the closest guy gets back to me. It'll be fun driving 30+ miles with this thing on my roof rack.

My Dad has one of those ladder stabilizers up at his cabin. He'll bring it back next time he goes up.

When he built that cabin, one of his neighbors helped him out on occassion. My Dad returned the favor by helping him with his. This guy's "cabin" was this 3 story monstrosity surrounding by uneven rocks. My Dad observed him "walking" this gigantic ladder from wall section to section so he wouldn't have to climb back down and reposition it. And he was doing this with noone in the vicinity (you may be able to hear him screaming from my Dad's place) so you could imagine what would have happened if he fell--bear food.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Getting the ladder home was a non-event. $160. Other than some cosmetic scratches, it looks brand new. From the CL pic, it was hanging in his garage. New is $300 but other sellers with the same ladders for less were flaky. CL sellers need some simple lessons in marketing like know your product or actually contact interested buyers

Now the fun begins...

Requisite poor cell phone pic

Comment

• mineengineer
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                      • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

See if you can get cheap scaffolding

I used to do the ladder thing but I found some used/cheap/good scaffolding on craigslist which is easier to set up and store than a long and heavy ladder. Scaffolding is also a lot easier to work off of and feels sturdier than a ladder.
                      Link

Comment

Working...