• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Track Saw Table (MFT Clone) Advise

Looking for any information from our members that have done this. Looking into making
    this instead of paying Festool pricing.
    These stainless steel Parf Dogs from Lee Valley, used with their small bench dogs, open up all sorts of saw cutting, jig making and work flow improvements fo...

I don't know when I will be able to build this because of my third shoulder surgery. But it does not hurt to plan. I finally bought the Dewalt track saw system and plan on making a hybrid Dewalt/Festool system like in the video.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Mike,

I built my own workbench for use with my Festool track saw. But there is nothing that says this is not applicable to any track saw. I call it an "MFT-XL". Shown in the picture is the 55" rail. A 75" rail hangs on the far wall, so I can connect them and cut full plywood sheets.

The MFT/3 was too small for my needs, and I did not need portability to enable it to be collapsed and hauled to job sites. It sits in my basement shop.

I CNC-machined the top with 20mm holes like the MFT, and I own several sets of rail and bench dogs -- from Qwas, and also the Parf Dogs from Lee Valley.

My goals were to build a table that I could use to support a 4'X8' sheet of plywood, and build it solid, and inexpensively. This bench was done as a test to see if the size worked well. So far, so good.. I actually cut the top to 36"X84" since I felt it would be a better fit in my shop. As you can see, there is a BT3100 at the end of it, and so the bench doubles as my out feed table.

The MFT has its 20mm holes on 96mm centers. I put mine on 4" centers, so they fit evenly spaced omn the MDF top. There is nothing really "magical" abot the 96mm spacing, and 4" is pretty close anyway. The frame is simple 2X4 and 4X4 construction, using Kreg pocket hole screws for assembly. Since I took this picture I started a project to add a vise to the near end, and will also skirt the top so I can embed T-track in the perimeter for more clamping options.

My inspiration came from You Tube videos from Ron Paulk, a home builder. He has a really nice design for a large, portable track saw workbench. Google Paulk Workbench, or Paulk Homes, to learn more. I may still build one of his, or similar, to have in the garage. In another year or so I'll know if hauling full sheets to the basement makes sense!
    Attached Files
    Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

A version of this is on my to do list. In the same way the track saw, is just a modern/fancy sawboard, the holes in the tops, are just benchdog holes. Blum's portable planning bench was my original inspiration for what I want. I just didn't think their table (since found out it is called the bench horse) was going to be sturdy enough for both hand and power tool use. I was planning on 3/4" holes, so I could use it for both, using existing stuff. (no Festool or metric pegs)

description and illustration of the use of the Bench Horse, a portable work bench by Blum Tool Company
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Wow! All these younguns needing a straight edge nowadays.

What ever happened to popping a chalk line and following the line accurately? That is how I do it.

But, I gotta admit I have been considering a track saw as well. I have been researching readily made extrusions. No luck yet.
        I think the better value would come if I can make one to fit my existing circular saw, however I did buy it in 1996, so an upgrade would not break my heart.

I will probably wind up buying a ready made system, but highly doubt it will be green.
        Lee

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

One of the benefits of doing the MFT is the 45º angles from the accuracy of the holes. Using a replacement top would be a practical solution to making a custom size, the cost is quite a bit less than going whole-hog. Just use a pattern bit and you would get a pretty accurate hole.

I've been evaluating the shop to see if there was a way to fit something similar in my shop. The wide crosscut ability is appealing.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
            Wow! All these younguns needing a straight edge nowadays.

What ever happened to popping a chalk line and following the line accurately? That is how I do it.

But, I gotta admit I have been considering a track saw as well. I have been researching readily made extrusions. No luck yet.
            I think the better value would come if I can make one to fit my existing circular saw, however I did buy it in 1996, so an upgrade would not break my heart.

I will probably wind up buying a ready made system, but highly doubt it will be green.
            As far as extrusions go I have been looking at the 10 series from 80/20.net. They also made metric like the 30mm which work with the festool system and clamps.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Lee, you might want to check out http://www.eurekazone.com. If you want to use existing circular saw.

Mike

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I've been toying with building a panel saw using Extruded T slot bars and double flange linear bearings. The material I was looking at can be seen on Fastenal's site, google Extruded T slot bars and double flange linear bearings. This t slot is real stuff, not the same as is sold at the woodwork sites, for about the same $$ per ft.
                capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I went yellow with no regrets. If you watch the Wood Wisperer review he says they are comparable in results (but he also likes the Festool, which he uses, a little better).

I like the workbench ideas. I am also in the planning stages since I am loosing my workshop with a move and have to have another garage built to get it back (I will do some of the work but will probalby let a contractor put it up and finish the outside since it will need to be an extension of the existing house). The Paulk idea looks good but I don't plan to move it much. I will probably get his plans but not build exactly his bench. I saw something smaller in a related U-tube video with holes for pipe clamps. Interesting too. Might be able to have both the pipe clamp holes and the larger holes of the Paulk design effectively creating a tool shelf. I might also just build in some bench vises. I like the top of my current bench which is two layers, bottom is 3/4 with a top of 1/4. That lets me cheaply and easily replace it when it gets damaged. Not practical for a portable, perhaps, but works well for a permanently setup shop bench.

I like 3/4 holes in the top and plastic bench dogs used in B&D workmate. Rockler sold them last time I needed some. I also like the clamps DeWalt sells for their track. They are quick acting clamps, unlike the Festool clamps Paulk uses. The crosscut setup on the Festool bench looks nice and is probably trustworthy but I wonder. I am currently thinking I will just mark with a carpenters square and cut to the mark. The steel benchdog idea is interesting but it seems like it would have the same problem as a shoot board. You would have to push against the dogs and if you let up, your cut could be affected. I like to clamp the track because I've had it shift before. That is relatively easy on a thin top (like another sheet of plywood) or my lattice setup but seems like it would be hard on the thick benches like the Paulk.

Combining all this, I am thinking a smaller workbench, used with the lattice setup I already have when cutting full sheets, might be best. Maybe the smaller bench will be a modified version of the Paulk. I like the shelf for tools and a strong but relatively light top.

Jim
                  Last edited by JimD; 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

I went with 20mm because that is what Festool uses, and there are a bunch of 3rd party products in 20mm. However, places like Lee Valley sell many items in both 3/4" and 20mm.

Remember, 20mm is slightly larger than 3/4" -- it is .7874", so we are talking about a tiny difference. While a 3/4" bench dog would be a little sloppy in a 20mm hole, I have a number of clamps that were designed for 3/4" holes, and work great on my benchtop.

I also have some old benchstops from a WorkMate portable workbench, and these fit very well in 20mm holes.

And regarding all us "younguns" using fancy, new fangled techniques, I am 61 years old. Although most think I am younger because of my chiseled, youthful good looks...
                    Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

That was tounge in cheek, Lee. I'll be double nickel in June, and I do respect my elders.
                      I am 6' 5", so stretching across a sheet isn't too big a deal, but it would certainly be easier with a straight edge.
                      I'll let you guys know what I wind up getting.

I have a couple pieces of granite counter top that I will have to trim soon. It is 1.25" thick. I have cut it before with my current saw and a nice diamond blade.
                      My saw has a large aluminum base on it.
                      I am wondering if you can mount other saws to a brand name unit or must one use a specific saw on it? (IE Festool, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc) I would like to keep using my old saw for metal and masonry and dedicate the new saw to wood only products.

I will have some Hardy panels to cut in the Fall.
                      Last edited by Stytooner; 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM.
                      Lee

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

On the wood whisperer review of the Grizzly track saw he comments towards the end on use of the Festool on the Grizzly track (not good) and the Grizzly on the Festool (seemed like it might work except the cut edge would not be exactly where the saw would cut unless you put a new one on). I think that is what he said, anyway. You should watch the review if you are interested. The general feedback on the Grizzly was that it was an upgrade over a circular saw and home made guide but not equal to a Festool or DeWalt.

Comment

• aiyou
                          SawdustZone Patron
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Charlotte, NC
                          • BT3100

Years ago, I recall seeing a track saw project in ShopNotes. IIRC it was 3/4" ply and 1/8" hardboard, with a base that was configurable to your circular saw. The base was "captured" to the track so that it wouldn't stray. I think it broke down into smaller track parts for storage (2 x 4'6" or such).

In looking at the ShopNotes project index, looks like issue was 19. Unfortunately, not one I have lying around.

Rob

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                            That was tounge in cheek, Lee. I'll be double nickel in June, and I do respect my elders.
                            I am 6' 5", so stretching across a sheet isn't too big a deal, but it would certainly be easier with a straight edge.
                            I'll let you guys know what I wind up getting.
                            I know you were. All I can say is go test drive a Festool track saw. Incredibly nice machine.

Wow, 55. Just a kid. The really great thing about being over 60 is ....

I forgot what it was. But I'll edit my post when I remember.
                            Last edited by lrr; 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM.
                            Lee

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

Qualifying for retirement was nice, even though I don't plan to pull the trigger for several years. Too bad you have to get "old" to get there.

Comment

Working...