• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Poison Ivy/Oak (whatever it is) is "the suck"

I was trimming some branches on some type of evergreen tree a week over the independence day holiday, and wasn't really paying attention to the weed growth at my feet.

As it turns out, there must have been some poison ivy/oak in there as it has my ankles and shins have broken out in little welts and blisters. It is all I can do to not dig the hyde off of my legs during the day, especially when I have my dress socks on at the office (just makes the itching worse!).
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Depends on the office environment / job function. I typically get to wear jeans / polos and hiking boots, but I am far from customer facing... The guys that are customer facing suit up. Ick.

Yeah, Poison oak / ivy is pretty awful. Never had it, but seen plenty with it. Not fun looking...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Same thing happened to me this year. LOML really wanted to trim and clean the yard this year. I didn't pay attention, either. I paid for it with 2 bee stings and poison ivy/oak on my legs and arms. I think that's nature's way of saying "Don't do yard work".

Those ivy/oak itchy spots do suck. Never stopped itching for a week.
      Joe

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Our new-to-us house has lovely plantings but they went unmaintained for at least 2 years before we bought it. We have huge azelas on one side of the lot but there is a patch with blackberries and other unwanted weeds. I was working on that area and didn't notice the poison ivy or oak. I also didn't take a shower when I was done. So I got it on my hands and legs and then spread it to my chest. There are places on my arms that are still a bit red after more than a month. I've had worse, however. I cut down a tree a long time ago dressed in jean shorts and sandals. Again I didn't notice the vines all over the tree were poison oak. The chain saw threw it all over me. I ended up at the doctor that time. He gave me steroids so my eyes and throat would not close.

I didn't learn my lesson, clearly, but I did learn some things. They make a special soap that will take the oil off you if you wash up right away. Obviously long pants and long sleeves will help. The latest thing I learned is lotion with benedryl in it. I got it at Walmart. Cost about $6 or 7 for a tube but it works a lot better than the old fashioned pink stuff. Well worth getting.

Jim

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The stuff 'spreads' by transferring by scratching. It's not the fluid that is toxic, per se, but it is the oil of the plant on the skin which the weeping lesions pick up and your fingers transfer it to what ever you then touch. One time I was in brush the whole day using w.whacker and chainsaw, and relieving myself when I had to without washing my hands. It wasn't machismo but the ignorance of what we were working in that got me. In the office the itching in my groin and around the stems of my ear pieces behind my ears was maddening with face to face contact with patients all day. Ugh, the only good part is that it won't ever happen again, now that I am disabled.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

I am one of those lucky few that aren't affected by poison ivy. I have been around a lot of it. My wife isn't so lucky. I still avoid it through as I know a few who lost their resistance to it.
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I've my own poison ivy story. A couple weeks before my senior year of high school while out on a run in the woods I had to do my business without tp and used leaves. I used the wrong leaves. Soda baths for the next three weeks until the huge rash subsided.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• marc82much
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Neal
                I was trimming some branches on some type of evergreen tree a week over the independence day holiday, and wasn't really paying attention to the weed growth at my feet.

As it turns out, there must have been some poison ivy/oak in there as it has my ankles and shins have broken out in little welts and blisters. It is all I can do to not dig the hyde off of my legs during the day, especially when I have my dress socks on at the office (just makes the itching worse!).
                One word..."PREDNISONE".

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

I used to get poison as a kid. Sometime around my 20th birthday I quit getting it. 20+ years poison free....

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    I've my own poison ivy story. A couple weeks before my senior year of high school while out on a run in the woods I had to do my business without tp and used leaves. I used the wrong leaves. Soda baths for the next three weeks until the huge rash subsided.

Oh man, Mark, I nearly bit through my lip with that one!!
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • On the TARDIS
                      • BT 3100

Neal, a visit to the doctor for a prescription strength allergy medication ( non drowsy) will help with all the itching.
                      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I wasn't allergic when I was a kid (I brought it home in my suitcase from camp once) but I certainly am now.

Comment

Working...