Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Small Grizzly RoundOver plane

I bought this recently:
    Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

Today I had the chance to use it on some just made bunk beds and was very surprised at how well it worked.

Our organization has a "mission" house, and being in a high poverty area, we get lots of volunteer teams from church teams through out the south and even midwest.

Recently we decided to go from regular full/queen beds in 4 bedrooms to bunk beds. 5 bunk beds were donated by a youth camp in AL that was closing and two bunk bed sets were built by a local farmer/carpenter. The new ones did not have rounded edges but were sanded over. I decided to use the edge rounding plane to round over the edges just a little more and it did a great job. For HomeDepot quality white pine, the plane did an excellent job.

The sound and feel of wood going through a sharp hand plane is unparalleled to me.

The wood is dense rosewood. Small, and one quirk for some but OK for me at the moment - the shavings tend to build up quick and do not eject out like most planes I have used in the long ago past. If I were doing a lot of edge roundovers, this might be a problem.

Does anyone know of, or have a different roundover plane that ejects the shavings better?

Still, this is a very small but beautiful plane.
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-16-2014, 07:28 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I do not have a have a dedicated round over plane. I like using my old Stanley #19 sweetheart for round overs, it just takes more back and forth. The price doesn't look that bad for the Grizley. I've been looking for an old wood round over plane at garage sales but have not found one that was usable.

Comment

Working...