X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhondas
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013

how to couple 2 washer machine hoses together

I need another 4 foot to reach my new washer , with the feed lines , how can I add another line the easy leak proof way?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Washers use the same 3/4 fitting as garden hose.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Relative
      Established Member
      • Mar 2007
      • Garden Grove, CA
      • Ridgid R4512

Ace Hardware carries 8' hoses. How long do you need?

Mike

Update: Just got back from local Sears store and noticed they had 25' and 30' washer hoses in stock.
      Last edited by Relative; 05-31-2014, 03:19 PM.
      Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

It would be interesting to know the layout. Long washer hoses are fine for a temporary solution but washer hoses occasionally are the source of a really damaging leak. Stainless hoses help and an automatic disconnect valve is an even better solution - even when they are short hoses. It seems like long washer hoses would amplify the risk. Long term I think I would want to put the connection closer to the washer and use a shorter hose. But I don't know the exact situation so maybe not.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I would not trust a coupling in my house. If absolutely necessary, order some longer hoses. But as was already said, long hoses aren't ideal either... probably better to run some new pipe.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

washer hoses tend to have full pressure on them for 15-20 years. (unless you are conscientious enough and can reach to turn off the valve every time you use them).
            So buy the braided stainless steel ones and don't cheap out. Unless you want to risk flooding your house which could cost you thousands.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Unless you want to risk flooding your house which could cost you thousands.
              Having been through a minor flood last year (we lost power for 18 hours and my backup sump-pump battery was too old to handle it), I can confirm. Cost nearly $6000 to replace some of the the carpet and all of the pad, as well as dry out the walls. And we didn't get more than an inch of water in any given place.

This video shows what the sudden shutting of a valve (which is how a washer solenoid valve works) does to plastic pipe... imagine what it could do to a rubber hose and unnecessary couplings:

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I remember reading that flood damage is the number one homeowners insurance claim, and that busted washing machine hoses is the leading cause. Those rubber hoses have a finite life... and it's not that long really. The advice I've seen says to swap them out every 5 years.

To help minimize risk it's a good idea to use the shut-off valves at the wall when not doing laundry. Few folks do this though - the valves are often old/stuck, or the traditional twist-knob style start leaking themselves (around the packing washer and the handle shaft), they're often a fairly long reach, and I'll bet most folks don't know they ought to shut off the washing machine water unless the washer is in use. My house came with a nice setup: a single lever that shuts off both the hot and cold water quickly; it's a fairly low-force lever so it's easy even for somebody with arthritis to handle. A similar valve:
                Borg washing machine lever-style shutoff valve
                This is conceptually similar to what my house came with though it's a different brand. I leave the valve OFF when I'm not doing laundry so a failed rubber hose would leak only whatever water happens to be inside it - just a few ounces. A lot better than a hose that splits, spewing pressurized water several feet away at several gallons per minute flow rate.

There are also electronic valve models that plug into an electrical outlet, the washer then plugs into the valve unit. The electronics sense when the washer is physically ON (pulling electricity) and then automatically opens the water valves. You don't have to manually do anything! Some insurance companies will give you a rate change or a partial reimbursement for retrofitting such valves.

I use the hoses with the braided covering; that covering won't hold back a leak but it does help keep the rubber part at a constant size - so that water pressure doesn't make the rubber hose swell in diameter and then relax when the pressure is off. This flexing/cycling speeds wear in the rubber hose; the braiding prevents the swelling in the first place.

Hmmm... I wonder how often the flex hoses for bathroom vanities & toilets fail? They experience the same pressures as washing machine hoses... maybe I should replace those as a preventative measure...

mpc
                Last edited by mpc; 06-03-2014, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• rhondas
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2013

8' hoses washer

Originally posted by Relative
                  Ace Hardware carries 8' hoses. How long do you need?

Mike

Update: Just got back from local Sears store and noticed they had 25' and 30' washer hoses in stock.
                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thank you for your help

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I believe that I would run a couple of copper lines for the long runs, bend to fit and maybe paint to match the walls. Then use braided ss for the machine flexible connections. A bit pricey but cheaper than a major Bo-Bo.

Comment

Working...