• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Haven't updated this thread for over a week, so I figured that in the spirit of keeping some woodworking content flowing here, I'd better do so

Progress has slowed a bit, with us having to finally get out and get some lawn and garden work done (this has been an awful spring... late snow, cold, and now very wet, although we do need the moisture), and we were out of town all weekend. But I've managed to squeeze a little shop time in.

Basically all the headboards and footboards are assembled except for their top caps, and that's in progress (just glued on the second one tonight... only have enough clamps for one glue-up at a time). Next up will be the side rails, which should be pretty easy - just mill the stock down to size and add some fasteners.

-Tim

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

That sure looks nice! Well done! Can't wait to see the finished product.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Worked on milling the rails. Since they are about 7 feet long, they're a bit of a PITA to get across the jointer, planer, and even table saw. And my one and only roller stand was being a PITA yesterday...

I'll get some new pics posted soon I hope.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

I feel bad as I haven't posted here much lately, but I've been pulled in so many directions... Latest thing is we just bought a used pop-up camper and we spent a lot of time researching options, picking it up, figuring out a place to store it (we don't have a good spot at home), etc. And next week I'm away for a business trip...

I did finish milling the stock for the bed rails last week. Probably won't get any more progress on this project for another week and a half or so, but I haven't abandoned it...

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

We just got back from Lancaster, PA so we could take the kids to Dutch Wonderland. Anyway, the hotel where we stayed had a bunk bed for the kids. My older daughter took the top bunk right away and the younger one begrudgingly accepted the bottom one. I can see one of these in our future.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              We just got back from Lancaster, PA so we could take the kids to Dutch Wonderland. Anyway, the hotel where we stayed had a bunk bed for the kids. My older daughter took the top bunk right away and the younger one begrudgingly accepted the bottom one. I can see one of these in our future.
              Have very fond memories of bringing my kids (now 6 & 9) there about 5 years ago. Would love to go back, but I doubt will make it there while they're young enough to appreciate it again. It was a perfect park for my oldest at time... he did his first "big" roller coaster there, and his second the next day at Hershypark...

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Wow, where does the time go? I got stalled on this project (and woodworking in general) for the entire month of June. Tonight I jumped back in it. My oldest and I cut the bed rails and cleats to their final lengths, rounded over the edges, and sanded them down. I then drilled counterbores in the cleats to prepare for their assembly, hopefully tomorrow.

My countersink bits are crap... will start another thread about that.

Here's my personal sanding assistant at work.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tfischer; 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

This project is proceeding at a snail's pace, but it's proceeding at least... Just got back from a 10 day vacation on Saturday, and am working on it once again. Last night I finished the holes for the barrel nuts and bolts that hold it all together (tricky measuring), and tonight I assembled both sections, then drilled the holes that align the stacked pieces in place (more tricky measurement).

It was cool to see it all together for the first time (well, the pieces that are completed anyway). But as soon as I snapped these pics, I took it all back down, did some final sanding, and stacked them back up in prep for staining, hopefully tomorrow.

Next up after getting the finish on these pieces: getting the upper rails built, and then the ladder.

The boys are going to spend a week at my mom's in late August so I've set a hard deadline for myself to get the beds installed in their room while they are away. It will be a nice surprise when they return.

-Tim
                  Attached Files

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

Well I say "WAY COOL!!" ... Looks really nice!
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

Looks great. My shop garage is finally under construction. I'm looking forward to getting my tools out of storage and into my shop. Maybe in a month or two.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Looking great, Tim! Love the style.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looking good Tim. Maybe I missed it before. What size mattresses do those take?

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • BT3100

Looking good Tim. Maybe I missed it before. What size mattresses do those take?
                            They will take a twin XL mattress. If I measured correctly anyway

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer
                              They will take a twin XL mattress. If I measured correctly anyway
                              Yep. That was my number one fear when I built my daughter's crib. Will the crib mattress fit when it's done?

Now it's time for me to convert it from the toddler bed to the big bed and I can't find the plans to tell me how long I need to make the rails. Mattresses are fairly pliable.

Comment

• tfischer
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2003
                                • BT3100

Yep. That was my number one fear when I built my daughter's crib. Will the crib mattress fit when it's done?

Now it's time for me to convert it from the toddler bed to the big bed and I can't find the plans to tell me how long I need to make the rails. Mattresses are fairly pliable.
                                I googled mattress dimensions, and found that they jived with what my plans called for (other than the XL being 5 inches longer than a standard twin).

I'm tall, and my boys are tall for their age, so I'm thinking the extra 5" will come in handy someday

I also built them "junior beds" vs "toddler beds"... my son is just about to turn 10 and still in his "junior bed"! He literally goes from end to end... but it's time to get him out of there and into this one!

Comment

Working...