• Show
Clear All
  • Old Dutchman
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2011
    • Holland Mi
    • My BT3000

Where have all the shop Dreamer's gone?

I guess Everybodies shop is finished long ago! No files added in 45 days! Does Anyone have any idea's or dreams that They would like to leave here? I enyoy seeing new post and Pic's.
    I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

My "plans" haven't changed. Top of my list is clean, clean, clean, but I just can't seem to do it. I'd much rather be making stuff but it's coming to a head because I'm running out of room to make stuff with all this other stuff in the way.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I've been so busy with this project I haven't done much shop planning. Aside from the fact I really need a new one and don't have the cash for.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

I Thought I had posted these before and maybe I did but to at least respond to your plea for shop updates ...

I installed a 2.5 Ton Mitsubishi Mini-Split heat pump a couple of months ago ... looks like it costs me about $20/month in the heat of the summer using it when I choose to be in the shop ... It will keep the shop about 78F in the high heat of the day which is very comfortable. The biggest benefit I think is the reduction in humidity.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs during the winter .. this past winter I was in the shop many times where inside it was about 38F or less ... we shall see.

I'm very happy with the investment
        Attached Files
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I like the mini-splits! That was the next item on my list until a 14000 btu window unit heat pump fell into my lap for $0. Can't beat the price. It will keep my 800 sf shop in the low 70's and still cycle like its suppose to but the front part gets warm thru the roll up door. Insulated door my butt! We installed truck loads of all brands of mini splits on the base and the major problem was the condensate pump failing. I don't remember any brand having a catch pan and a real gravity drain you could pipe in.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

My shop is currently overrun by house projects. Flower pots to be painted and hardie panel to be installed. That part stinks because it is blocking access to the lathe.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I'm waiting for a contractor to get busy and build us another garage bay, about 14x24, so I can have a shop again. I used him to clean up a few things so I could sell the previous house last week so I didn't bug him but he needs to get started. We will also have a finished room over it and some other work done as part of the same contract.

Ceiling will be 8', concrete floor, ceiling will be 5/8 fire rated and the walls will be 7/16 wafer with a coat of drywall mud and white paint. I did the last shop this way and liked it. I think I will have only 1 20 amp circuit for tools and one 15A for lighting. That's all I had last time and never had a problem with power. I will have cabinets and tools around the edges and hope to retain room to park a truck in the center. The narrow side will probably have a long counter top with a radial arm and a 10 inch CMS. Maybe a sliding miter instead. Tool storage below and above. BT3100 will be on a mobile base in front of where a truck will park. I'll figure out locations better once I get into the new space. Lots to do before then. Walls of the shop will not be finished by the contractor nor will he apply trim to the finished room over. There is also another bedroom to finish after the contractor adds a big dormer.

I'll be happier when I have all the tools here, even if the space is not well organized. When I can get it organized, it will be much better. That is likely a year or more from now. But we make progress. New windows last weekend.

Comment

• Tom Clark
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2007
                • Deming, NM
                • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

minor additions

Originally posted by Old Dutchman
                I guess Everybodies shop is finished long ago! No files added in 45 days! Does Anyone have any idea's or dreams that They would like to leave here? I enyoy seeing new post and Pic's.
                Hey Old Dutchman,

So what have you been doing to upgrade your shop? We all know that shops are never finished, but always a work in progress. I posted my last shop tour a year ago, and this winter I added a few small additions. Shop is full so there is not a lot of room left to keep adding more forever…

This past winter I was busy working on fine-tuning my observatory, but whenever I need a break, it is back to the shop for some R&R making sawdust. First, I had always wanted to build my own custom tool box, so finally got around to it. It has 12 small drawers with wooden slides, and 5 larger drawers with full-extension slides. Great addition to the shop, right next to my main workbench. It replaced a little used steel cabinet that now resides in the garage.

Next, I needed more storage next to the model area where I build RC airplanes. Built this small roll-around with 8 drawers, and another cabinet under the right side of the bench with even more drawers.

Of course no matter how well organized our shop is, there is always room to make small adjustments to how it is set up. The last photo shows that my air cleaner is now right next to the workbench where routers and sanders are used the most, and two heavy disk sanders are mounted on top. Very convienent. Of course who knows what items will be reogranized next year?

By the way, love the idea of being a forum newbie, even though I joined in 2007. Guess I just don't post enough…
                Attached Files

Comment

• Neal
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I'm pretty well done with my UTS build and once the honey do's get done it is on to building cabinets for my garage/shop to replace the metal shelving already in place.

But first, the Missus wants to take all of the baseboards and door casings off in the hallway and replace. Good news is, the base and casing are stained and polyed and ready to put up.

That is my project for the weekend, then hopefully I can move on to my to-do list which is build cabinets.

(Oh and am going to order my incra LS fence and table top for my router table project on Tuesday I think. Maybe sooner....That will help with the cabinet build out.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Tom, love those shop cabinets. But what really gives me tool envy is that "electric hammer" hanging on the wall near your benchtop vise
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Tom Clark
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Deming, NM
                      • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Many years ago, a group from my woodworking club was visiting my shop. One old British gentleman asked if he could make a personal enquiry, then asked where my "hand tools" were?

I stood back from my workbench, and pointed to all the routers and sanders on the shelf under my bench, and explained how I liked to keep everything right at hand, plugged in and ready to go…

He let me know in his most British accent that "Those are not hand tools! Those are POWER tools!"

Well, what the heck, I thought 'hand tools' was anything smaller than a table saw.

At the next club meeting the guys made a big deal out of presenting me the electric hammer - to go with all my other hand tools.

It has hung proudly in the shop for nearly 25 years now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Finally installed some clamp racks.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...