Craftsman Professional 13" Planer...worth checking out?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brutus
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2015
    • Northern Ohio

Craftsman Professional 13" Planer...worth checking out?

I've been looking for a planer for quite awhile. While I long for the Dewalt DW-735, I just can't justify it right now so I've been scouring Craigslist everyday waiting to find a used one at a little friendlier price.

I've almost bought cheaper new models, such as a PC around $275, and a Rigid around $350 but when I buy new I don't like getting anything less than the best. Buying used is a different story for me. I'm not real familiar with bench planer use myself, so I figure getting my feet wet with a seemingly decent used machine will get me by for a bit.

Anyways I found this Craftsman Professional 13" 15amp feller about an hour away for $200. Model # 351.217430.

I couldn't find much useful info or reviews online so I come to you all for info lol.

Here's the Craigslist link even though is very vague:http:// http://toledo.craigslist.org...965263732.html

Thanks
  • Brutus
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2015
    • Northern Ohio

I also found this Delta planer Model # 22-560 a little further away for $235. Any thoughts on it too?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

This is a decent planer mfg by Palmgren. I've had a 217430 for several years. It was posted on this site 2009, so is is not a spring chicken. Planers were also discussed last month here. Honestly I will continue using mine until it breaks or a better one comes along, probably a Dewalt. If you must be concerned by noise in your woodworking shop this tool is not for you because it is the loudest piece of equipment I have every seen, residential or industrial.
      capncarl

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

The Delta has a cutter head lock! Having owned a planer without one ---- I know the value of that lock!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the 22-560 has three things I consider critical.
          A cutterhead lock
          and a fixed deck/elevating cutter assy.
          Dust hood (this is an option!)

The cutterhead lock is self explanatory
          Some units (not many) have a deck that goes up and down and of course that screws up any extended support you may use as you plane away.
          Hopefully the one you buy has a dust hood for a vac or DC. Hard to find for older models.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My 22-560 was a work horse. $235 is a tad steep....a fair offer can't hurt.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

the last thing to consider is weight. THe 22-560 was a good unit and weighed about 60- something pounds - liftable but a pretty hefty load. At the low end of planer weight.

The Dewalts weighed upwards to 90 pounds or more 733, 735... I figured I couldn't move them very often, they're beyond my ability to lift safely single-handedly. These were the high end of weight for "portable" planers.

That was a factor in my purchase.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

The Craftsman 217430 has a lockable head, and has a super dust extraction system. It also has infeed and outfeed tables that help control snipe. But it is a single speed feed, 2 cutter unit that is bested by the 3 cutter 2 speed DW 735.
                Looking at the DW's, I believe that the DW734 is mfg'd by the same mfg as this craftsman. As far as weight goes, any of these machines need to be mounted on a mobile base. I still believe that the C'man is the loudest of the bunch.
                capncarl

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've had my Delta 22-560 for a number of years and have used it a lot. It still works well. The photo you linked to shows pictures of the optional Dust Collector Chute if I'm not mistaken. (Ask about that. It's the big round circle in the first photo.) At the time I bought mine (in the early 2000s) Lowes was selling them for about $230. The optional DC Chute was around $30. An optional extra pair of blades was also around $30. It looks like this planer has the extra set of blades and the DC Chute. In any case it is a very good planer with all the necessities that Loring alluded to. Since he is selling "AS IS" I would ask to plug it in and make sure the motor turns on, the cutterhead (with the blades) rotate and that the rollers which move the wood also rotate. Also check and see if the cutterhead screws up and down smoothly and that the cutterhead lock works properly.

One plus of this particular planer is the ease of changing blades.
                  Last edited by phrog; 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM.
                  Richard

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I believe that for $200 this Craftsman would be a good starter unit, if like phrog stated everything checks out. Maybe a price reduction for mileage is in order as well. Can't hurt to try. I bet he is not swamped with buyers.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                      I've had my Delta 22-560 for a number of years and have used it a lot. It still works well. The photo you linked to shows pictures of the optional Dust Collector Chute if I'm not mistaken. (Ask about that. It's the big round circle in the first photo.) At the time I bought mine (in the early 2000s) Lowes was selling them for about $230. The optional DC Chute was around $30. An optional extra pair of blades was also around $30. It looks like this planer has the extra set of blades and the DC Chute. In any case it is a very good planer with all the necessities that Loring alluded to. Since he is selling "AS IS" I would ask to plug it in and make sure the motor turns on, the cutterhead (with the blades) rotate and that the rollers which move the wood also rotate. Also check and see if the cutterhead screws up and down smoothly and that the cutterhead lock works properly.

One plus of this particular planer is the ease of changing blades.
                      good points about how to test, and the included DC chute and the extra blades, I did not read the ad before.
                      I don't recall them going for as low as $230, I think they were more in the $320-350 range.
                      I think it did very well in comparison with other planers in the magazine test articles they did at the time.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-08-2015, 10:17 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Brutus

Anyways I found this Craftsman Professional 13" 15amp feller about an hour away for $200. Model # 351.217430.
                        I have one, paid around $150 for it new, on sale from Sears. Seems to work pretty well.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          good points about how to test, and the included DC chute and the extra blades, I did not read the ad before.
                          I don't recall them going for as low as $230, I think they were more in the $320-350 range.
                          I think it did very well in comparison with other planers in the magazine test articles they did at the time.
                          You're absolutely correct, Loring. The going price was about $299 but I bought mine when they changed the box design and they marked the old boxes down considerably. I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. And that is something the OP should take into consideration. About $299 + $30 + $30 for the whole set when new.
                          Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                            You're absolutely correct, Loring. The going price was about $299 but I bought mine when they changed the box design and they marked the old boxes down considerably. I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. And that is something the OP should take into consideration. About $299 + $30 + $30 for the whole set when new.
                            I remember now, Delta numbered their lines but then they changed the naming on the lower end of that and made them hobbyist models and dropped the numbers and put the "SHopmaster" name on the line of tools. AT that time they clearanced many of the numbered models and replaced them with the same Shopmaster models.
                            I think the 22-560 becames the Shopmaster TP400LS
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Carpenter96
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • Barrie ON Canada
                              • BT 3000

I had the Delta Lunch box Planner for about 20 years and it worked fine but I found a DW735 with extension tables and extra blades for $200 on Kijiji last year. It is an amazing tool and a pleasure to use. I got $200 for the delta when I sold it.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...