X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

What am I missing?

My shop layout continues to give me headaches all this time later. That's why I need your help: I've come up with a potential layout that seems to let me have room for all of my tools, plus space for some systainer storage and an MFT. It completely doesn't make sense.

There really has to be something I've left out. I am thinking about making a miter saw stand that allows the router table to just slide underneath when not in use (and avoids getting stuff put on it). The lathe is in the corner, along either wall. If on the right wall, the miter saw will be high enough where I'll be able to have a feed table above the lathe that is either removable or swings up. Otherwise, systainers in a cabinet. The drill press sits in the otherwise unusable right side of the table saw footprint, I can still get to it in the rare instance. The jointer is on the left under a bench, I just pull it forward to use. The bench can be used for the sander, mortiser, dovetail jig...anything that needs a temporary home to use. The bandsaw would slide out on a dolly for use, the planer is on a cart, as usual.

The new CT MIDI is tucked under the edge of the workbench, or somewhere else - it's really tiny. The Ridgid and separator are behind the table saw, under where I would place an MFT for my assembly/Domino/sanding/tracksaw use. Obviously, I'd need a safe spot to hang the MFT when it had to make way for the router table or other needs (could tuck under miter saw in exchange).

This feels too easy, I don't trust it. If there is anything my shop has taught me over the last few years is, not to trust my first instinct - it will always be just short. There are a couple of items I would have to find a home for, like my socket set, a couple of tubs, and getting rid of all my plywood. Relatively minor things in my book, but I'd fine tune those before I got started.

I've missed something, help me spot it.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • russde
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2013

Maybe I'm not seeing the picture properly...but how are you going to stand behind the table saw to feed material?

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

The picture cut off the entrance, right at the front of the saw. I just pull it a bit to the left to make wider cuts.

Comment

• russde
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2013

Ah, very good.
        You mentioned getting rid of plywood and that was my only other 'gotcha' (where is the sheet stock going to go)...
        My layout skills are seriously lacking, as evidenced by the state of my workshop, so those are the only glaring issues I picked up on.
        Good Luck (and cheers for your sketch-up skills, I keep meaning to work on that),
        R

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Assuming everything is on a mobile base, this should provide the access to your planer, drill press and band saw that appear trapped. If it were me, I'd consider moving everything in the vicinity of the tablesaw a foot or more closer to the lathe, and move the drillpress into the corner as not to have to move the tablesaw as much.

I'm curious why the mortiser and the CMS cant be on the same bench. Also, is that a vertical-orientation router table? I'd probably want a little more space between that and the table saw. Will it fit a little more to the left of current position? Also, looks like you have room over your woodworking bench to add some shelving for stock.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            Assuming everything is on a mobile base, this should provide the access to your planer, drill press and band saw that appear trapped. If it were me, I'd consider moving everything in the vicinity of the tablesaw a foot or more closer to the lathe, and move the drillpress into the corner as not to have to move the tablesaw as much.

I'm curious why the mortiser and the CMS cant be on the same bench. Also, is that a vertical-orientation router table? I'd probably want a little more space between that and the table saw. Will it fit a little more to the left of current position? Also, looks like you have room over your woodworking bench to add some shelving for stock.
            I figured that having the drill press between the rails would allow me to use it in some situations without moving the saw at all. I also thought that front wall would be a good place to relocate clamps - I'm always falling over stuff trying to get at them during a project in the back left corner.

The HCM has become a very unused tool ever since I got it. It was something I got for a Morris chair project that hasn't since materialized. With the Domino, I don't have much use for it. However the price I paid for it means I don't want to sell it and have to replace it later, so it usually gets shoved in a corner. Since my space is so tight and I'm usually dealing in inches for space purposes, I want a clear space where I can put any temporary tool - Kreg jig, DT jig, etc. I think I would rather find an odd spot for the HCM somewhere than take up valuable table-level space.

Stock storage is in the front left corner now and in the render. I'm trying to keep the bench area wall clear for hand tool storage.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Decided to give the potential layout a trial by fire. I moved everything basically into place and got the new hand tool corner set up. Better than ever. Better access to the planes and chisels. I unfortunately also collapsed one of the legs of the lathe, that cheap Chinese angle iron. So, gotta get on a new stand pronto.

The layout is certainly different than what I'm accustomed to, that's for sure. The drill press works fairly well - the handles of the table saw fit right around the column, maximizing space.

Got a lot done today, hope to spend a bit more time this weekend finishing up. Thankfully I have a nice heater out there.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

I wanted to use the space under my mft more efficiently so I built a mobile cabinet/sysport as a base for it. It's on casters and houses 70% of my systainers. The legs on mft are folded up and it sits in the 4 rubber feet but can also be removes easily if I need to transport it for some reason. Although I have had a reason to. You make it so the overall height is the same as your tablesaw or mitersaw and use it as an outfeed table.

I'll be starting a new version after the holidays and I'd like to add a router table to it. I'm sure you've seen pics similar set ups on fog using the Incra LS fence system.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

One of the things that sparked a redesign was trying to get a better handle on dust collection. I tried thinking of a way that I could get the dust producing machines all grouped together if possible. I hate trying to avoid the 2.25" hose when it is hooked up to things, and having the hose try to span a walkway in most cases just wasn't cutting it.

Ideally, you wouldn't want to have 'blobs' out in the open. Blobs meaning objects that can't be used for storage and can't be neatly incorporated in storage. The vac and the separator certainly apply. However, by putting a surface over them, I can keep them about where they need to be and still make good use of the space.

Still playing around with some stuff, it just became a stopping point today. I did get my clamps moved to the front wall for easier access, now I have to figure out where all the chargers will go.

This layout really isn't what I want, but it's fairly free of building anything else at this point, which makes any future changes a bit more palatable. I just need to build a lathe stand now.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Fleshing this out for the next step, I came up with this tonight:

I can get away without having to dock the router table under the miter saw no matter what, I think. I'd love to have the bandsaw next to the drill, however that is the spot of the only window. Sheesh.

I need to measure the 735, but I think I can manipulate the stand so that it could fit behind the table saw. I typically only need it near the start of a project, and I can fold the table saw up and outside when I do. Band saw is a bit close to the bench, I can test that tomorrow. This arrangement lets me keep the infeed support and measurement I wanted for the miter saw.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Is the planer on a flip cart?
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Currently yes. That will change.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Going back out to the shop tonight made me realize that there is no way the planer will fit there. Drill press stays, jointer goes next to the DP. I turned the router table sideways for now. May work. May not.

MFT is now in the shop. **** that hurt to buy.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

First video of the shop.

Final phases of putting the shop together after making room for the MFT/3.

Comment

Working...