X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Biesemeyer + Incra

Saw this on woodnet. Guy makes a Incra and biesemeyer hybrid. I wonder if Incra goes after him if he ever decided to market it. Or if anyone besides Incra tried to.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
    Guy makes a Incra and biesemeyer hybrid.
    Where are you seeing the Incra Jig? I did not notice it in the video.

If you mean using a threaded rod as a positioning device, that is an old machinist's technique that has been in the public domain for at least a century.

I'm not convinced it is even a "Biesemeyer-type fence" as he states - he is missing key components of the Biesemeyer system, so he is likely not infringing their IP and patents.

Brought back memories of Fred, though. Fred was a guy in our local woodworkers club who was a retired machinist. He would regularly bring in his latest jigs and fixtures to the meetings. Folks would kind of tease him about it - his jigs were very precise and always had a threaded rod (or six) to precisely control movement. For example, most people just use a positioning pin to register movement for a finger joint jig, but not Fred. That one took two threaded rods :-)

He passed away a few years back. Miss the guy, and think of him when I used tools and jigs he gave me over the years.

Another interesting story - I happened to be living in the right part of the country and at the right meeting of the woodworker's guild when the inventor of the Incra jig (Chris Taylor) mentioned he was working on a jig at a meeting. Later on he brought some prototypes. Took him a couple of years to work out the bugs and finalize the product, and it was around 1986 or so when it came on the market. Chris was an EE, a very interesting guy, and a very, very precise woodworker. Learned a lot about how to make tighter joints and do higher quality work under his guidance.
    Last edited by woodturner; 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's really neat. I don't see enough similarity to Incra to ever a be a problem. I could be wrong, but I don't think Incra invented the threaded fence adjustment.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MBG
        • Apr 2003
        • Chicago, Illinois.
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Knottscott
        That's really neat. I don't see enough similarity to Incra to ever a be a problem. I could be wrong, but I don't think Incra invented the threaded fence adjustment.
        I recently restored a 1950 Uni and it had a jet lock fence. The front bar has grooves cut in the bottom and the fence has a thread to engage them - you even turn a knob to fine adjust the fence. So yeah, not a new idea.

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
          • Ryobi BT3000

Stumpy Nubs has a box joint design using a similar idea (the incra lead screw) and plans which he sells.

Pretty cool in a number of ways. Cool that the kid has the skills to operate all of the different machines at a fairly young age and cool design as well.

I don't have the metal lathe or the welding equipment, so I'll just have to figure a way to retro fit my incra positioner to my BT later this summer.

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Neal
            Stumpy Nubs has a box joint design using a similar idea (the incra lead screw) and plans which he sells.

Pretty cool in a number of ways. Cool that the kid has the skills to operate all of the different machines at a fairly young age and cool design as well.

I don't have the metal lathe or the welding equipment, so I'll just have to figure a way to retro fit my incra positioner to my BT later this summer.
            Neal, I would love to see what you may come up with in regards to the Incra positioned. I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• TimTucker
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2014

This is giving me ideas as well: with 2 bt3100s at home and 2 original incra jigs sitting around, I'm thinking I could connect one of the jigs between 2 rip fences, fully extend the jig, the lock down right right fence with the left up against the blade, then position the left fence with the jig and then lock it down.

Comment

Working...