• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

self service

Sorry. No self service. Did you know its still illegal in NJ and Oregon to pump your own gasoline? State laws require an attendant to operate the pump... apparently Jerseyites and Oregonians are too stupid to pump gas without blowing themselves up... or so the lawmakers say.

Reportedly it adds 7 or 8 cents to the price of a gallon but keeps thousands of pump jockeys gainfully employed. No, they don't wash your windshield or check your tires or oil levels anymore.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-22-2014, 12:59 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Not true. I got my driver's license in NJ. Yes, it can be a little annoying at first (and I don't really care the reason why) but I find it can actually be faster to have the attendants fill your gas for you. That's all they do. They know exactly what buttons to be pushed on the pump, and on the turnpike, they will still wash your windows if they arent horribly backed up. I don't know any place outside of the 1980s where they'll check your oil or your air. I grew up in DE in the 80s and that's the only time I remember it being done.

In this region, gas is always cheaper in NJ. I think there's probably a 20cent difference between here and there. I can get there and back on almost one tank of gas to visit my sister but even if I have enough to get there because I filled up part way, I always fill up before I leave NJ.

In smaller towns, though, you won't find the stations staying open as late, though.

Paul

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

It's a "make-work" program, plain and simple.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul

In this region, gas is always cheaper in NJ. I think there's probably a 20cent difference between here and there. I can get there and back on almost one tank of gas to visit my sister but even if I have enough to get there because I filled up part way, I always fill up before I leave NJ.

Paul
        NJ ranks 48th in gas taxes at the pump. only Wyo and Alaska are lower.
        So residents are essentially subsidizing gas jockeys to keep prices competitive.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

By the time you factor in dollar exchange, metric to standard, and our extra taxes, we in Ontario Canada are paying about $1.50 ( depending on where you are in Ontario) more per gallon. Now the governments latest move is to suggest a 10 cent/litre tax increase province wide so they can pay for new transportation in the Greater Toronto Area. And the full serve stations are far and few between!
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

In the late 90s I worked as a pump jockey at an Exxon station on Bay Area Blvd in Houston. Full service not the mini service they get in Oregon and New Jersey.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I knew about NJ, but it has been a while since I saw one here. (ADA assistance doesn't count) The last one I saw here, was by accident (I pulled in, got out and started filling up and the attendant came up to me), but that would have been some time back in the mid to late 90's. (that gas station has been closed at least 10 years)

Talked with a hot rodder friend about them recently, and as he has been going to a couple specific chains recently, I said we should make one that is a full service, gas station/drive in restaurant with the girls on roller blades and call it headlights.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

"make one that is a full service, gas station/drive in restaurant with the girls on roller blades and call it headlights."

I like that idea!!!!!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

can the girls at Headlights pump the gas and wash your windshield for extra tips?

Just How did this thread deteriorate so badly? And I was worried it might become political.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Just How did this thread deteriorate so badly? And I was worried it might become political.
                    Your thinking of the other thread where we were talking about boobs.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Nobody touches my car but me.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...