• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Upgraded to Windows 10 this morning

I was running Windows 8.1 Pro and so far so good. There were only a couple of hiccups. I had to reinstall MS-Office and had to dig for Internet Explorer because our testing system at work only works with IE. Total it took a little over an hour. I made a clone of my windows 8 installation first ... just in case.
    Chr's
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Once I get on my home network tomorrow, I am planning on taking a disk image, and going ahead with the upgrade, however... I thought it wouldn't be available until midnight tonight. How did you get the upgrade a day early?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

I went to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features and clicked on "Get Windows 10". It appears I may have hit it at just the right moment since that same button now takes you to the "How to Upgrade" page. After reading your post, I just checked to make sure I hadn't downloaded the preview version, but it looks legitimate.

it appears to still be available here

windows 7 iso, how to reinstall windows 7, how to restore windows 7, download windows 7 iso, restore windows 7, software recovery, software restore, operating system recovery, Microsoft software recovery, Windows 7 software recovery, Windows 7 operating system recovery, Microsoft operating system recovery, Microsoft recovery, Windows 7 ISO, Windows 7 ISO image, Windows 7, restore Windows 7, reinstall windows 7, re-download Windows 7, Windows 7 disc image
      Last edited by twistsol; 07-29-2015, 04:20 PM.
      Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Why did you have to re-install "Office"?

I bought a new Toshiba laptop last year (June), when my old laptop crashed. The old laptop which I purchased in 2005 or so was running Windows Vista. Never a problem with it, and it ran all of my old software, including MS Office Pro, Corel Draw 9, and many others.

The newer laptop was running Windows 8.1 and, to me, it was like working on another planet. I really don't like that system at all, mostly because it would run NONE of my old software, NOT even Windows Office 2000. So, Windows 8.1 forced me to buy new software, which was not very affordable. The new Office 2013 and the separate Windows Acess database aren't nearly as nice to use as the older versions. Worse, especially for Access, is that it won't run two major databases that were created in Office 95- and Office 2000-Pro versions. (I have to keep those databases on my old Dell tower, running XP.

So, while I'd love to jump to Windows 10, it deeply concerns me what I'm going to run into. I'm in the midst of a massive photo project. Also have hundreds of titles created in the new Corel Draw X6 which I was forced to upgrade to.

I'm wondering what kind of problems Microsoft is again forcing me into if I upgrade to 10? Any ideas?

My neighbor told me that Windows 10 will run much of the old software that Windows 8.1 wouldn't... But, I haven't found anything written about that backward compatibility.

Problem with me is that I have heavily invested in software on operating systems when I was working. It all functions great and I have lots of work done over the years. It's like having an old car that you favor for it's road worthiness and dependability, and now you find the gas formula won't let you drive it The new software has none of the class of the old stuff and for me is just darned ugly to use.

While the writers out there are hyping up the new features, cross-platform function, etc.; they say little or nothing about software compatibility. I will no doubt have to move to Windows 10, but it's leaving me a bit anxious after the Windows 8.1 debacle and how much that has cost me to continue working with programs that I've long used and forced to upgrade.

Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

I had to reinstall office because Sharepoint didn't think it was installed and wouldn't let me use Edit in Excel for documents from the server and wanted me to use Excel Online. For a finance guy that's the most terrifying thing that can happen. Everything else seemed to go smoothly today. It's running as a virtual machine on my Mac so there is no risk. If it blows up, I just shut down and switch back to Windows 8.1

As OS upgrades go, this was the smoothest I've ever encountered. The only other problem I encountered was that I forgot to set the power settings in Windows so when both Windows and Mac OSX tried to put the computer to sleep simultaneously, things got a bit confused since both wanted me to log in before either would let the other log me in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Chr's

Comment

• Relative
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Garden Grove, CA
            • Ridgid R4512

How about this? I went to Costco some time ago and purchased the Seagate 2TB (that's right, terrabyte) Slim USB 3 drive. I used Clonezilla (free) to completely dupe my laptop drive to the new drive AFTER I had switched the two drives between the external case and the laptop.

I now have the ability to swap my old drive back in (Windows 7 along with Linux Mint) and give the Windows 10 upgrade a spin.

My preference is still Linux Mint, but I'll experiment with Windows 10 with the knowledge that I have an excellent backup.

Mike
            Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

Took an hour or so. No reinstalling of any programs or apps and I have looking pretty much like 7 on the desk top. Took a minute or two to get it to find the ViewSonic but it handles the EIZO just fine. I think the problem was on the first start it was working in the background and wouldn't let me into NVIDIA control panel. After a restart everything is in its place and it is performing well, almost a seamless upgrade. I was a wee bit impressed.
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

Well I have had a "different experience" than the "hour or so ...." ... I installed from a USB drive that did indeed take about an hour to build ... then I ran "setup.exe" from that drive and it SEEMED to go well for about an hour and then it hung at 82% installed for about 2 hours ... I read a bunch of online stuff one suggestion was to unplug charger ... did that it got to 91% for a couple of hours then 92% ... ultimately after about 9.5 hours ... I have a "fairly functional" laptop ... BUT some things I expected to have migrated across ... like the CHROME BROWSER ... didn't had to reinstall that ... also I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my eMail ... although the PROGRAM was there .. I had to recover my Thunderbird profile to get my email back to what it was ... there will be others I am sure but after the whole day I'm giving it a rest for tonight and HOPE it boots tomorrow. I will say ... once it FINALLY booted the response is fairly good but the first boot has been disturbing to say the least.
                "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas
                => Bade's Personal Web Log
                => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• MBG
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Chicago, Illinois.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Ha - I used to keep up with technology but right now I have Vista on my machine at home and was looking for Windows 7 upgrade so I didn't have to clean install an operating system. I need an upgrade because I now have three softwares that need W7 or above. I think I waited too long because I can't find W7 upgrades except for around $300 on ebay....guess it's time for a new machine.

Mike

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

After two full weeks with windows 10, no issues so far. It does seem to be patching itself maniacally though.
                    Chr's

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                      • Grizzly G1023SL

Yeah I had some difficulty with WiFi performance but after a couple of days of swinging a dead chicken over my head and chanting ancient wizarding wards it seems to have cleared up for the most part. I do like the responsiveness and boot time.
                      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                      Bade Millsap
                      Bulverde, Texas
                      => Bade's Personal Web Log
                      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Swinging the dead chicken was my old go to for installing software but my wife go tired of the mess it made of the walls! Now I just let her do the software installs, it doesn't get installed and by the time I get around to doing it all the bugs have been worked out and it is easy.

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I upgraded my Windows box last week. Had to do all the updates and install IE 11 for it to work once it started took about 90 minuets to do what ever it does. I don't use this box much any more as I have and iMac,iPad and iPhone which all talk to each other. I am trying to learn and operated 10 so I can upgrade LOML's window box. Even Grandson's online game is working and Office seem to be ok also Chrome works, haven't worked with Email yet but will get around to it. I am going to download a copy on a Thumb drive to use on my Laptop and maybe do a clean install on the windows box later.

Tom

Comment

• Relative
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2007
                            • Garden Grove, CA
                            • Ridgid R4512

Some considerations to NOT upgrade to Windows 10:

Despite the excitement about Windows 10, there are a few reasons you should hold back your upgrade to Windows 10. Here's why.

Especially don't like what they say about privacy issues.

Also, I've been told that once you commit to Windows 10 after a month of usage, your old Windows 7 (or wherever you came from) validation is gone. Not sure what that does for dual-boot machines. Possibly not able to upgrade fixes on Win 7, etc.

Mike
                            Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Relative
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2007
                              • Garden Grove, CA
                              • Ridgid R4512

Even more on privacy:

Windows 10 has a lot of shady data collection going on that you should be aware of. Here's what you need to know about Windows 10 and your privacy.

Mike

Comment

Working...