• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Store Elements

I have a Maytag Genisis double oven range that is about 20 years old. About a month ago the broiler element in the upper oven burned in two. Got a new one from PartStore.com and life was good.

Two days ago the bake element in the lower oven fried. Went in this morning to order a replacement. Seeing that some parts are now being listed as obsolete, I ordered the other 2 elements so I will have them on hand. Both of them will probably out live me now that I have extras......
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Yup, I've done that very same thing. Although it was a thermal cut off switch on a makita 4" grinder that I at the time had to drive 130 miles to buy a replacement.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I wish I'd done that. We have a built in wall oven that has a burnt out element and no replacements available. We stuck a cheap oven around the corner in the hall until we remodel the kitchen, but can't use the stove on that because there is no vent. Oven in one room, stove in the other. It's a good thing we don't cook.
      Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Update on the parts. I ordered them through PartStore.com which is affiliated with Best Buy. I got an email within an hour with shipping info on 2 of the elements and my account was charged for those items. The one not shipped had been listed as 'limited quantities - order now' on the web page. Unfortunately that was the one that burned out.

I called this morning and after five minutes deciphering broken English (The call center is in the Philippines) found out limited quantity items could take 9-12 days to find out if they are even available. I asked to speak to someone that spoke better English and was told all other operators were busy. After 4 calls answered by the same operator I got a supervisor on the line. I asked why the listing for the parts says it 'usually ships in 1 day' with no mention of the delay and was told the 9-12 day delay is in the fine print during the check out process. I had the order for that part cancelled and reordered with eReplacepents.com. The element was available with PartStore under a different part number but at that point I didn't want to deal with them. The $6 extra was worth it to me to deal with a company I have always had good service from.

BTW, I went back through the order process with PartStore on the cancelled part and at no time was there any mention of the 9-12 day delay.
        Last edited by Pappy; 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I had a problem with the ice maker tray in our Kenmore refrig/freezer. Replacement trays are not available, only completely ice maker assemblies at +$100. Not to be one to give up that easy I scoured some of the parts stores photos and found one that looked exactly like the one I needed for $3. I ordered it and it was the one I needed so I ordered another 4-5. We notified sears parts of the cross reference, they didn't seem to care. Go figure.
          I would recommend this method for finding obsolete parts, just because they say it is no longer available doesn't really mean that it no longer exists, just because their records for that appliance doesn't show it. It could likely still be used on any number of appliances.
          capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

A word to the wise: When googling parts for appliances (and cameras, and autos) and you find what looks like a good site, then google "xxxxx Appliance complaints." I found a part for my camera online and then suddenly thought to google that company for complaints. Glad I did. The responses were similar to those as I describe below:

I got taken by an appliance parts company (in the USA) while I was in Japan. The washing machine part didn't ship after two weeks even though it said in stock. I called and didn't get an answer. This was a site that has the "Chat". So I "chatted" and they said it was backordered. I went to cancel online and I was refused because it said it had shipped. Then I googled the company for complaints. There were many complaints about that. They hold the money, don't ship until a "cancel" order is recorded. I did get the parts about a month late. I called my CC company and they said if it had shipped, I had no recourse until it arrived. In the mean time, my daughter was able to get the part locally and ship it to me 3 weeks before the appliance company's part did.

I have a 20 year old pickup. For a couple of items, I have googled companies for the specialty parts. One had similar complaints.

Better Business Bureau doesn't do as good a job as finding customer complaints.

Google any new company that you want to do business with - google the company for complaints and look for repetitive complaints of a similar nature.
            Last edited by leehljp; 08-02-2015, 07:49 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

WE HAVE A 2004 Ford Expedition with rear air. there are 2 motors that operate the systme The both have a short life it seem although w don't us them that muck The last time on went out I ordered 2 of each but not the Ford part a Dorman part it has been 2 year and the Dorman parts are still working I carry the extra part in a side compartment in the vehicle in case the go out on a trip especiall with the dogs in the back I also stork xtra part for our big sccreed tv. One is alamp and the other the DLP Chip.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

It makes sense to order spare, replacement parts when the part costs $1.05 and the shipping is $8.95. You can usually ship multiple parts for the same shipping cost.

Often the same parts that break have a weak design or are underdesigned. These are especially prevalent when there's a lot of physical stress like a power on-off switch that gets activated a lot and brackets or bumpers on which a lot of load is placed. That means once broken, they are likely to break again. Althigh it has happened to me that he replacement part is twice is beefy as the original that broke which tells me they should have replaced the part for free under warranty.

Finally one of the best reasons for ordering potential spares is Murphy's law that says if you have a replacement handy, the one in use will never break (an extension of the always carry an umbrella, then you will never need it corollary). Of course the danger here is that if you EVER misplace the spare replacement part or throw it out thinking you don't need it, the one in use will break the very next day. I swear this is true. The best thing to do is to tape the spare part to the panel right next to the real part and that will act as a threat to the real part and cause it to behave.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by twistsol
                  I wish I'd done that. We have a built in wall oven that has a burnt out element and no replacements available. We stuck a cheap oven around the corner in the hall until we remodel the kitchen, but can't use the stove on that because there is no vent. Oven in one room, stove in the other. It's a good thing we don't cook.
                  a couple of years ago we remodeled and dumped the working built in wall oven (well, the microwave part was broken twice before and not fixed the last time -it cost more to fix each time than a deluxe stand alone unit ). Probably mine or someone else's which is sitting in a landfill somewhere has the exact heating elements you need.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I have been ordering parts for the wife's '99 Windstar from Rock Auto. Even with shipping, they are about 1/2 the price of the parts stores and 1/3 that of the dealers, when the dealer parts are even still available.

The Windstar is notorious for the automatic lock actuators failing and on a ramp van conversion it is important that they work. I ordered new actuators for both front doors and both sliding doors. The rear hatch has a key and I have probably opened it a couple of dozen times since we bought the van. For $60+ I can turn the key if I need to open it after it fails.

The Rock Auto site listed actuators specifically for the left and right power sliding doors under a different brand. The others were all Dorman. The picture was different but I chalked that up to it being for a power door. Turns out it was to trigger the power door motor, not the lock. One call to the company got a shipping label emailed to me for a return for a refund. I placed an order for the right part. Will see how long the refund takes and if it includes the shipping, since it was an erroneous listing and not my fault.

the rear AC is out on the van and as soon as I can pull the side panel and determine the problem I will be placing an order with them for the parts. It almost has to be either the resistor or the blower motor itself. Since I have to the interior panel from the left side quarter panel, I may replace them both and keep the part that is still good as a spare.
                    Last edited by Pappy; 08-03-2015, 11:52 AM.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...