• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Well there would have been a time a few years ago when I might have gone into a long tirade against cordless anything (proprietary nature of almost every make and model) and go on about how that corded drill just can't be beat.

BUT, I've owned a 14.4 Ridgid cordess since about 2005 and it is still going strong and I have yet to replace either of those Ridgid 14.4V Nicad rechargeables. I also have an 18-V hammer drill and circular saw, which still perform well also.

With the "Ridgid", there's a limited lifetime service agreement (if you properly register the tools) that will replace the batteries should they ever fail.

I also have a few "corded" drills that I just never will have to worry about though.... an old Milwaukee "shooter" which was my Dad's, a Ryobi-built Craftman that I purchased in 1970, and a fairly new Ryobi 3/8" "clutch-driver" which I got in 2005. All perform very well.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have a bunch of the Makita LXT stuff. The batteries last a long time, the recip saw works almost as good as a corded version, and I love the blade being on the left for the circular saw. They have a HUGE number of cordless tools, and the free 4mAH battery promotion going on right now.

Also, Makita has a brushless combo at HD for about $320. That makes them durable, light, and just awesome tools.

I've used the Rigid tools as well, and they're great. I love the cordless light they have- really innovative, in my opinion. They have the lifetime replacement with registration, though I've heard getting the stuff actually serviced is a pain.

Either of those would be my recommendation. I've tried the PC 18V stuff, but it was really weak, even for the battery size. I wouldn't buy their stuff again.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I also don't trust cordless tools. The only ones I have are drills and impact driver. I have Craftsman 12v drill and impact driver with 2 batteries and an old HF 18V drill, also with 2 batteries. Because I have 2 batteries of every kind I don't particularly care about battery life. When I feel battery runs low - replace battery, put battery to charge and keep going. Since I got Craftsman set - HF drill gets very little use - Craftsman is much lighter and convinient. 18V is probably more powerful but when I need real power - corded drill beats everything.
        Alex V

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Originally posted by Texsun66
          Thanks to all who replied. All good info to consider. I think I will just get a impact driver and lithium ion battery kit and see how it goes. Then I can use all my existing tools, upgrade to lithium + and get an impact driver. Seems to be a good compromise. I will let you know how it goes.

Andy
          I think this is a good choice. I did basically the same thing, but with the C3 line like Loring has, which is basically rebranded Ryobi. I use the Li Ion batteries, and love that they drive the entire range of tools I've collected (nearly all of them - including the garden tools), which all have Ryobi equivalents I believe. For my hobbyist use, I have no doubt that these will server me for years to come.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I think you made a good choice too. I got 18V Ryobi drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw and circular saw gradually over the years. I was never very happy with the circular saw because it drained the NiCad batteries too quickly. I also didn't use the reciprocating saw much. Then my son got me a couple Lithium Ion batteries, the smaller ones. It made a big difference in the usability of the saws. I cut 2X construction lumber with both now. I also used the drills (I had two) to install deadbolt locks on solid pine doors. I broke the older 1/2 inch drill doing this but finished with the other drill. I also have a Ryobi jig saw. None of these tools is as nice as my corded DeWalt, Bosch and Milwaukee tools but they work well for most things. I typically use the cordless for convenience.

I also have a HF 1/2 impact wrench. It has a lot more torque than the Ryobi impact driver. My son gave it to me when we were working on the dock replacing floats. It drove most of the lag bolts with one battery. The second battery finished the job. It's rated at 330 ft lbs but independent tests say it really puts out more like 200. That's still quite a bit. I may try a HF drill if the Ryobi drill breaks before I see one on a good sale. Like a lot of HF stuff, they my impact wrench seems remarkably good for the price.

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Last Christmas, I picked up a Makita 12V cordless set (drill and driver) - and I enjoy it (to the extent that you can call a drill enjoyable).

I know there's lots of 18 and 20 volt tools out there --- but for my work, a 12V LI-ion does just about everything I need.

I use a corded Makita drill for heavier duty work.

In my own opinion, the Dewalt 12v drills are the best drills available.

Comment

• Spin Doctor
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2014

I'd say the first question is what do you use the drill for mainly. I have cordless from about 7 to 18V. But my favorite is a 9.6 Makita. Unfortnately the batteries are fading fast. It handles just about any task I've thrown at it. To my shame though when I need 18V I use a B&D rather than my Dewalt*. The B&D takes the same battery as the leaf blower, weed wacker and hedge trimmer. So there always 4 batteries on the chargers

*The Dewalt has **** near broken my wrist drilling in steel

Comment

Working...