Home Office / Music Room / Recording studio build.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Home Office / Music Room / Recording studio build.

As you may or may not know, among my too many things to do list, is I do some podcasting / audio recording on the side, along with a training / IT lab environment, and music room. I have posted up some sketchps about the layout I am trying to go for, but my mind is now turning to "deadening" the sound of the room somewhat. I don't want it completely dead, but I DO want some muting of the audible brightness that all the sheet rock, desk, and equipment give...

I am wanting something attractive, effective, yet budget friendly.

I had seen a fellow on Youtube make a small recording booth / box using an egg crate type mattress topper, and thought that was a great idea, but I am considering putting that on the wall in front of, and immediately behind the mic / desk, and behind the server rack to mute the noise level. I know I can get some dirt cheap ones for like $8.00 for a twin size mattress topper. The question isn't material, it is more of, how safe is this stuff, and how would I attach it to the wall?

What about maybe accoustic ceiling tiles?

Like I said, looking to somewhat mute / deaden the room, not make it totally dead.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

I would think that the foam toppers are pretty safe. If they are a bedding material, I think they have to go through some pretty rigorous testing.

As for adhesion, spray adhesive would work, like they use for car headlines, but that might be a little permanent. Maybe Velcro? You might try looking at home theater publications or articles for advice on wall treatments.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Dave, here's some information on foam bed toppers. http://sleeponlatex.com/blogs/news/t...yurethane-foam

"Polyurethane foam alone is highly flammable. Because of this polyurethane foam used in bedding often contains fire retardants. There are some concerns about the safety of constant exposure to these fire retardants used in bedding. There are also concerns about hazardous chemicals which are released into the environment during the manufacturing process of latex foam."

Not truly an anechoic design, but sounds acceptable for your application, and could possibly be stapled up, maybe 2" crown staples through drywall into wall studs.

Not sure what your budget is, but you might also consider something like Auralex wedges, like these: http://truesoundcontrol.com/clearanc...hIIaAsG38P8HAQ or these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manu...pn=&hide_info=
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• organicot
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2018

what did you finally use for the project? We have a home theatre room that has the latest gizmos but my neighbour texts me often that its too loud after 10pm and to turn it down. I bought a latex queen foam mattress here, they also have some other cotton fill futons but think latex is fire retardant and these are expensive to get. I am sure there are smarter professional options.. dont want to break any county codes. Let us know with pix if possible
        Last edited by organicot; 03-29-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I am still working on the project the the plan the plan is to open up the walls and replace or ADD the insulation with rockwool.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

There is a sound deadening board that is installed behind sheetrock that works rather well for being so simple. To really soundproof you will need a double wall with lots of fiberglass and the sound board on both walls. You need to plug all the holes and cover windows and doors too.

To keep the room from being too bright or lively you need to not have parallel surfaces and have sound deadening on the inside walls and ceiling. Acoustic ceiling tile works well, the heavy solid stuff not the coated fiberglass. The 2x2 or 2x4 panels can be installed in a pattern or randomly. Start with a few and add to them until the room sounds right. You can do a hung ceiling with the runners at different levels so the ceiling looks very strange.

Comment

Working...