• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

New Shop Under Contruction!

I bought a lake house for my new wife late last year. A different house was her request, on the lake was actually my idea. The house is older than the wife and needs a lot of work. We've had windows replaced and I fixed the dryer exhaust (it used to go into a spare fireplace flue) and a few other things. It still needs new bathrooms and kitchen. But those are other subjects. The current project is the shop.

We have a 2 car garage and 3 cars, not counting the girls two. The extra space in the 2 car is taken with the wife's stuff. So we contracted for a 14x24 one car for my shop space. I'm hoping to locate the tools around the edges and still park a car in it when not making wood dust. The contractors contract also includes a room over (drywall taped but no trim or paint), expansion of the existing room over with a front dormer and shed roof in the back, and a large dormer on the main part of the house to make a nice 4th bedroom in a walk-in attic space. Also a HVAC for the rooms over and 4th bedroom. So it is large contract only a portion of which is the shop. BUT IT INCLUDES MY SHOP.

I promise pictures but all that's happened so far is two oversized bushes got removed and the trench for the footer was dug. They only started today. But pictures will be coming. It should progress quickly. I hired the guy who built the house I just sold. So he has crews used to building entire houses. My little project should be well within their capability.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looking forward to the build along

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Ever since we moved here (12 years ago!) my plan was to add a third garage stall with extra space for a shop.

Still hasn't happened, lol. Wish I knew a "ballpark" figure for the cost...

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

To have a full shop, AND put a car in there you will have to get creative with space saving ideas, and keep things mobile. But it can be done. While they are building it, you may want to get busy with Sketchup and try some layouts with what you want to put in there...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

And install outlets all over the place while you can! Some just above benchtop height, some down along the floor too.

Even if you don't have one now, think about a place for a ceiling mounted air circulator/filter unit. Have some structure installed in the ceiling now while they're building the garage/shop.

mpc

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Design it so it isn't for a car, but the shop truck (back in for unloading).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Insulate it like it was a house so you can afford to heat and cool it. My shop is on a slab but 1/3 was to be on a wood floor so I could run dust collection under the floor. This is a feature that I regret cutting out of the final build.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Are you close to a sink? My shop is detached and I wish I had a utility sink out there for washing brushes or rinsing rags, etc.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

atgcpaul is on the money, install a sink if possible, and also a water closet. Mine was cut out in the build and I am still kicking myself every day. My shop build was stopped by the hoa because a neighbor protested the size of the shop, I fought and lost and had to stick to 850 sf. If I had installed plumbing it could be declared as a potential mother in law and size was basically unlimited. Hindsight is not worth a dang.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

It will be insulated, like the house, but I don't plan to heat or cool it. My last shop was in the basement, which was easier to keep reasonable in temperature, but wasn't heated or cooled and was fine. I will put at least most outlets up at around 40 inches from the floor, above countertop height. That's what I did last time too. Ceiling has to be 5/8 fire rated because there is living space above but walls will be 7/16 waferboard with a coat of drywall mud on it and painted white. I'd like to have a sink closer but there isn't any simple way to do better than one in a room off the other garage that currently holds what tools I have here. It has water since the pressure tank, whole house filter, and water softener are in that room. It won't be ideal but the wife wants a utility sink too so it is in the plans.

The BT3100 used to be a big saw with extension rails an a 60 inch rip capacity. My DeWalt track saw eliminated the need for a big rip capacity so the BT3100 is back to the original rails and has locking casters under it. My other tools can either also roll or can be located near a wall and still work fine (mortise, drill press). I will have a long bench along one side for either my current radial arm + 12 inch CMS or a sliding CMS. Probably at the start I will stick to the old tools I know well. I need drawers and upper cabinets for storage. I may switch to storage of hardwood lumber above the radial arm and CMS so I can just lift it down off the shelves and cut it to length. The wall behind the garages is also effectively our back yard (on a lake house the back of the house is as much a showpiece as the front). It already has a covered area for the trash cans and I am thinking of adding to it for wood storage. Maybe I will have some inside and some outside storage. I will know better when I get the tools in and get a look at the space. I can do some in my head and some planning on paper but I have to see the actual space.

Once the contractor is done with the garage I will have to go to finish on the room over and the extra bedroom. But I plan to get the tools out of storage and into the shop so I will have them for the other projects (it is a pain to not have my tools around). So I will use the space some before I get a chance to finish it. That will help with the planning.

Comment

• Woodshark
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006
                      • Atlanta

Originally posted by JimD
                      I bought a lake house

snip

We have a 2 car garage

snip

So we contracted for a 14x24 one car for my shop space. The contractors contract also includes a room over (drywall taped but no trim or paint), expansion of the existing room over with a front dormer and shed roof in the back, and a large dormer on the main part of the house to make a nice 4th bedroom in a walk-in attic space.
                      Wow, I cannot believe the timing of your post. We are doing the same. We have a lake house with a two car garage. We plan on retiring there in the new year or two. Our first plan is to add a 14x24 third bay for my shop. Along with finished/drywalled space above for a 4th bedroom.

You can bet I'm going to follow along as you build.

Please post plans and pics as they come along!
                      sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if building a custom shop I would really consider running a trench in the concrete slab that could hold 2x4" pipe for dust collection ( two 4" pipes paralleled would give about equiv 6" diameter which is near ideal for shop DC but take less overall depth and be easier to get) plus allow room for AC power. The trench should go from one side of the shop wall to the center where your Table saw would be located. The trench could be covered with a piece of plywood if you put rabbets on the edges of the trench.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...