Garage Built-in workbench. Now I need a finish.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Garage Built-in workbench. Now I need a finish.

So, for my non-WWing built in garage workbench, I wanted something that I could build quickly, would be strong, and would be able to be made nicer later.

I'm glad to say my plan worked out pretty well (so far). I got several shelving units that are able to be assembled in either one tall until, or a half-height, double wide unit. 6 of those bolted together, and I had quick and easy storage.

Later, I was able to add on to the top by beefing it up considerably with a layer of 3/4" MDF and bargain sections of laminate countertop I bought from Menards.

Then, several months later, I replaced the particle board shelves with 3/4" green treated plywood.

At that point, I had something strong and functional, but not very attractive. So, just recently, I build a long face frame that ran the entire length of the bench, and covered the sections of the bench. To attach it, I just used PL Premium, and a lot of clamps.

Then, last week, I finished doors that were made for each "bay". They were made from 3/4" poplar with 1/2" MDF panels glued and stapled in.

Everything for the face frame and the doors was done with pocket screws, so it all went together quickly.

Now, I need to figure out what finish to use (once it warms up a bit, it's still in the 30's). I build it to be paint grade, but I'm not sure how durable the paint will be. Also, the garage is currently much wetter than I'm hoping for it to be. Would a stain and poly hold up to the weather better? Or should I just use an exterior paint? Or should I not worry about it and use any paint I have?

Color is another concern. White is clean, but I fear would look like crap with any amount of dust on it. Same with black. I'm leaning toward a gloss brown, but that's not exactly something that'll look that good overall.

Anyway, just thought I'd get your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I would vote for semi gloss exterior white and a blow gun... Yeah dust gets on it, but it is easy to keep clean.. Pick a standard blend / color and touch ups when you bang into it are super easy...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Gloss white in the interior, for light reflection and gloss, so cleanable, easier. On the outside, unless you have a garage color scheme (favorite team colors, etc), I would use inexpensive paint. (see if you can get some mistints cheap, somewhere)
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...