• Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Birthday Odds

I just read on another site:

"You share your birthday with at least nine million other people around the world."

This caused me to wonder, what are the odds of having the same birthday with someone having the same name as yours?

This happened to me. Someone locally was trying to pull me up on their computer, asked me for my first and last name, then asked for my birth date. When there were two people in their database with the same information, they were finally able to pull my data up by my address. I won't go into the other data that was matched, but the other guy lives about 25 miles away and I have never met him.

Do you think this might be the same odds as winning the Powerball?
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Well I can't say that I ever met someone with the same birthday and the same name. But I once met a young lady who had the same birthday and the same initials 'CWS'.

The birthdate thing though I have always found amusing. While growing up in the Binghamton area, I was the only person in the phone directory with my name and I never met anyone with my birthdate.

(Edit: Sorry, I considered my 'birthday' as being the month and day and the actual birth date being day, month and year... oh, and I had an eldely fellow on my ham radio test team whose daughter was born on the same day, month, and year as I... never met her though.)

I moved to Painted Post (a much, much smaller population) and my boss's wife and my neighbor both shared my birthday. And in the larger community, there were three of us with my name, including one fellow who worked in my plant.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 08-11-2013, 10:29 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by alpha
      I just read on another site:

"You share your birthday with at least nine million other people around the world."

This caused me to wonder, what are the odds of having the same birthday with someone having the same name as yours?

Do you think this might be the same odds as winning the Powerball?
      It might be but it pays a lot less.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

sharing a birthdate (month and daY) is not that uncommon, sharing a birthday (same mo, day and year) is of course a lot less common.

GIVEN 23 PEOPLE IN A ROOM, THE CHANCES THAT TWO WILL SHARE a birthday are nearly 60%, at 75 people its nearly 100%.

If you take a special circumstance, like the graduation of 6th graders at some elementary school you are almost 100% likely to have two that share the same birthdate (mo, day and year) beause you have unnaturally contrained the sample to people born in the same calendar year.

read this for more info
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I know personally 14 people with the same birthday (month and day) as mine, only one with the same year (and within a few minutes of the same time), and several famous people with the same month/day.

I have two cousin with the same month/day, know 3 Japanese with the same and two co-workers also when I was in Japan.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Same name and birthdate would be some high odds, probably not as high as matching a lottery number, especially the powerball.

I learned of another Erik France, also living in Fort Worth, a few years ago on facebook. His birthdate is different. We've never met, but we do trade birthday greetings every year. Neither he nor I have run across anyone else that knows the other Erik.
            Erik

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by alpha
              If your name is "Smith", probably reasonably high. If your name is "Fdasjllsa" or something else rather unusual, the odds are nearly zero.

Having an unusual name does increase the odds of finding the right person in a web search, though .
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• alpha
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Our middle names are different, but the first and last name is the same. My name is not as common as Smith or Jones. The day and month of our birthday is the same, but the year is different.

Comment

Working...