• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Appliances and the workshop...

One of the bargains I struck with LOML to get the electrical work done in my shop, is once the walls are back up, and everything is in place, the big upright freezer that is in the kitchen now, would get moved to the shop. I have a space prepped more or less ready for it, plenty of power etc...

Now well after the power is run, she is expressing a deep concern for how exposure to sawdust would harm the freezer.

Now my Dad had his shop in the basement, with no harm to our freezer.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from folks that have a freezer or fridge in their shop. How are your appliances holding up?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sounds like a good excuse to gain back 6-8 square feet of shop floor/space. "oh yes honey you are so right, the sawdust woud be very bad for it."
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Just make sure you can get at the coils to blow them out periodically. I have AC's in both shops as well as computers. I just keep them blown clean with no issues.

You might even consider putting a light weight AC filter over where the coils intakes are.
      Lee

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        sounds like a good excuse to gain back 6-8 square feet of shop floor/space. "oh yes honey you are so right, the sawdust woud be very bad for it."
        ^^What he said^^
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

My experience is that it will shorten the life of air conditioners and refrigerators. I have had both in shops for years and end up replacing them more frequently than normal. I speculate it is the heat and dust that gets to them sooner than if they were in a home.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I wouldn't say 'Very bad', but I would go from the other end and say the sawdust wouldn't be good for it. Does it have a fan? If so, then the sawdust would be very bad.
            Erik

Comment

• jdon
              Established Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
              • BT3100

"oh yes honey you are so right, the sawdust woud be very bad for it."
              I'd probably get the response: "well, then, you better find someplace else for your workshop." Be careful what you wish for

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a small refrigerator (10 cubic feet) in my basement shop. It had been there for about 3 years and going - no issues so far.
                Alex V

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jdon
                  I'd probably get the response: "well, then, you better find someplace else for your workshop." Be careful what you wish for
                  I think that is what she is hinting at... I am at the point space wise that is not feasable without leasing shop space somewhere away from home... I have too much time, money, and sweat wrapped up in this to make a major move without it being WELL worth it...

For what it's worth, personally my concern is more with the heat in the shop than the dust. And yes there will be plenty of access to the coils, and the plan is to blowgun it down at least once a week...

I know my aunt and uncle had theirs in his garage workshop for 20+ years, it still worked when she sold it and moved off. It wasn't here in Texas though...
                  Last edited by dbhost; 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
                    dang I hadn't thought of that. But, assuming I said "dear, you are so right", I think she would be so flabbergasted she could not think so quickly as to come up with that one.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Oddly enough, I am more than happy to oblige the freezer in the shop. Good way to have ice close by for iced tea!

The bigger change will come in about 2 - 3 years. Once all of our debt aside from the mortgage is gone, we are planning on upgrading siding / windows on the house, with that done, my next big item is a shed, if I can get the lawn & garden stuff OUT of the shop, I gain a full 8x8 + foot area. It is presently taking up space I have other ideas for...

The freezer is effectively in dead space. I designed the miter saw bench specifically to clear the freezer...

Comment

Working...