• Show
Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Backaches around the shop

My shop instructor mentioned that he ruined his back from standing on concrete floors all day which got me thinking about the usual backaches I'll get from extended periods of standing even with light lifting, etc. I've seen the rubber workstation mats, but they don't seem practical unless you're in one or two spots.

Are there shoes or boots that provide above and beyond back comfort? Maybe line the concrete floor with OSB?

I'd love to hear how have others addressed this.

Tom in Saugus.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

My feet over pronate and now I wear custom orthortic inserts for my shoes. They have helped a lot when I'm moving around the shop and I'm not on one of the rubber mats. Before I got orthotics I got a pair of Red Wing boots. I have worn them on and off this winter without the orthotics and my back and knees feel OK when I'm done.

Orthotics and fancy boots aside, the mats are hands down the least expensive and most comfortable option. They have saved a few tool drops, too. I have just the cheap ones from HF. They don't attract dust any more than my concrete floor and they are easy to shake out.

Paul

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Presently my shop is in the basement and it has a concrete floor which was terrible on the feet and legs.

Shortly after moving in here, I discovered the pain of prolonged standing down here. Shoe inserts were helpful, but not a cure and mats just seemed to offer just another tripping hazard, as I prefer the shop floor to be as even as possible. They also get in the way of the casters on which my BT and router table are mounted (my little shop requires some mobility of tools to move them into position or out of the way for certain operations.

So, I use Dri-Cor blocks ( http://www.dricore.com/en/homeowner.aspx ) on my shop floor. These are basically 2 x 2 ft OSB T&G blocks with a PVC raised backing. They not only offer a more comfortable surface for standing, but also a barrier to any dampness or cold; and because they are slightly elevated, it allows your concrete to 'breath'.

When I first bought these at Home Depot, they were about $3 a piece, but the last time I checked, they were about $5. Lowes carries a similar product, and you may be able to find other suppliers. The beauty of this kind of floor is that you can purchase only a few at a time as you can afford them; and, you can do it all yourself.

I started off with just a few tiles here and there and joined them all together over time. They've been down about seven years now, and offer a comfortable floor, which not only is easy on my legs, but also is easy to keep clean and roll my tools around on. When I'm on the computer figuring stuff out, I have an old drafting stool (with back support) which I bought used at a local office furniture supplier and with this floor, it is easy to move around on.

(BTW, I have absolutely NO affiliation with this company or any other.)

I hope this helps,

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM.
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I believe it is no secret I have back issues. I deal with it by using shop stools when I can. I do use the anti fatigue mat at the lathe, which is really the only tool I am standing at long enough to be a problem, at least so far. I am working on my first mission / M&T heavy project, and I might just find the table saw and mortiser can be fatiguing too!

If I could afford it, I would run my lower DC ducting under the concrete flooring, and level it all out, then add those DriCore panels to absorb a lot of the stress... Especially from my lower back...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Having a small,10X12 shop I have 3 mats in there to stand on, I also have 2 in the garage that I put down when using the BT3, Planner or Jointer. Spent a day cleaning the garage last week my back and legs were killing my at the end of the day. I bought 2 mats for my wife to use on the Tile floor in the kitchen which she loves, even though they are black it save her hips and feet.

tom

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

We have a safety shoe store, over by my work, that I frequently see utility people sent to. They started advertising and selling a shoe insert, that says it is the same type of thing as antifatigue mats. (I first misunderstood it to be part of a new boot line)
            I haven't tried them yet, as I have been trying to do something which will be more beneficial, get some weight off.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• fastfoodkills
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Saugus, CA

That's great info. I'd neither heard of Red Wing boots nor the dri-core flooring. It looks like the flooring is up to $7.00 per 2x2 section for the 7/8 thick version in my neighborhood. I may have to explore a cheaper alternative or see if it's available wholesale. I'd read an article ages ago where someone had inexpensively raised an OSB floor off of 1x2's over a slab. If I recall, he was able to run electrical under it which sounded like a great idea (assuming it's done to code). Where I had concerns with this method was the floor sagging from the weight of machinery over time. I suppose if you could form a tight enough grid with the 1x2's this may not be an issue.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

I organized my shop around permanent work areas and what I call the mobile section-where I have bigger tools that get wheeled away when not in use. This covers about a third of my garage shop near the garage door. The rest is covered with foam rubber locking mats. this has helped a lot.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                  I organized my shop around permanent work areas and what I call the mobile section-where I have bigger tools that get wheeled away when not in use. This covers about a third of my garage shop near the garage door. The rest is covered with foam rubber locking mats. this has helped a lot.
                  I use this approach too. One antifatigue mat between my lathe station and primary workbench, and another at my woodworking bench. All other floor tools, semi-fixed or mobile, are bordered by the interlocking foam mats. (nothing is truly permanently fixed in my shop.)
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

I'm very happy with my HF mats. They cover a 20' x 20' area in the shop/garage. With a chronicly bad back it was helped a lot, cat enjoys it also.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

I've had good luck with Sorbothane shoe insoles.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Saugus, CA

Mike, Thanks for the photo. That's a nice clean work area and I can see that's one big cat with paws outstretched to help out, no doubt!

G. Smittle, thanks for the tip on the Sorbothane's. Just looked them up on Amazon and they are highly regarded and reasonably priced. A reinforced toe shoe would be nice to have at some point too. Why is it that only the heavy tools and sheet goods land on your foot?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by fastfoodkills
                          Mike, Thanks for the photo. That's a nice clean work area and I can see that's one big cat with paws outstretched to help out, no doubt!

G. Smittle, thanks for the tip on the Sorbothane's. Just looked them up on Amazon and they are highly regarded and reasonably priced. A reinforced toe shoe would be nice to have at some point too. Why is it that only the heavy tools and sheet goods land on your foot?
                          they'd land on your knees but your feet stick out more.

Steel-toed shoes! Best pair I ever got was by Hush Puppy. Very comfortable.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            they'd land on your knees but your feet stick out more.

Steel-toed shoes! Best pair I ever got was by Hush Puppy. Very comfortable.
                            +1 on the steel toes. I won't build scenery without them any more, as teenagers love to drop 300 lb platforms on my feet.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Carpenter96
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • Barrie ON Canada
                              • BT 3000

I did my shop with Dri-Core panels and anti slip PVC flooring on top. It has made an incredible difference.in the comfort and warmth of my shop. I still use an anti fatigue mat while at the lathe. It 8s now a pleasure to stand in the shop.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...