How do you use this style of screw extractor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

How do you use this style of screw extractor?

I bought a set of these awhile back, and near as I can tell, they're worthless:

They did not come with instructions. Basically, all they do is drill a really nice v-shaped hole in the middle of the screw, killing any remaining threads. But the sure don't help extract the screw... but of course my technique is probably wrong. But I can't find any instructions for these online either.

Last night in a fit of rage I ran to Lowes and picked up a set of Grab-It extractors. Within 30 seconds of opening the package I had the stubborn screw out.

So I think my original set is going to hit the trash, unless someone here wants to explain how they are supposed to work

Between this and the countersink bits, sure having my luck with bad-quality tools lately.

-Tim
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have had the type you show in the first one. Hated them. You are supposed to run them counter clockwise, and they are supposed to grab the screw and turn it. Mine failed miserably. I like the Grabits, although I don't own a set, I have used a set a friend owns and REALLY like how they work...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
      unless someone here wants to explain how they are supposed to work
      What I do is drill a starter hole in the screw head, sized approximately half the diameter of the extractor head. They need a "starting point". I assume you are rotating them counter clockwise? If so, they should dig in and remove the screw.

The Craftsman version I have works well, maybe other brands not so much?
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

The one I have, I think Craftsman, has a double ended bit. You're supposed to start by drilling out the head with one end, then flip the bit, and run the drill in reverse to pull out the screw.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          The one I have, I think Craftsman, has a double ended bit. You're supposed to start by drilling out the head with one end, then flip the bit, and run the drill in reverse to pull out the screw.
          That's how the grab-it's work and they work very well (at least for the one screw I used them for lol).

I never have gotten the other style to work... they just don't dig into the screw at all.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

tfischer, I think what you have is half an extractor set. The left hand screw part is sold separately.

I use to have a crew of "machine technicians" that were hired by others and most had not even seen an electric drill much less used one. They could break off screw heads and wring off bolt heads and keep me busy fixing their stupid mistakes. My fix, teach them to tighten and loosen bolts without wringing off the heads. Sometimes it happens to the best of us. A lot of times heat on the threaded area is the best thing to help with the extraction.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

FYI
              I always find it more successful to drill completely through the broke off threaded piece. This helps the liquid wrench or whatever penetrate from the bottom up. Drilling deep helps because if the extractor bottoms out it will not grab enough metal to unscrew the piece. You gotta use good drills and extractors, cheap look alikes will get you in trouble.

Comment

• RAV2
                Established Member
                • Aug 2007
                • Massachusetts

You found a set of extractors that do not work very well:

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Try those in a screwdriver handle that uses bits. Those look similar to the Craftsman ones I used, and the directions for them said they need to be used on a very SLOW setting on the drill. I don't have the directions anymore, but tried to use them first, without them (on a battery powered drill, a no no, since they are too fast at the lowest speed), then read the directions, pulled out a corded drill and from memory, used them at 360 rpm or less.

They require SLOW, or they just eat out the head.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Sounds like I should just stick with the grab-its, which worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the advice... if anyone wants these I'll send them out free, just pay postage. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like to be frustrated

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

All of my experience removing broken screws (dozens and dozens) have Been done using a tap handle and a skinny left hand threaded spiral extractor or a square tapered extractor. Can't imagine the grief that could come from using a drill to power it out. If you broke off the extractor it would be as hard to remove as a broken tap. That's nearly impossible. Everyone should try it once just to learn patience.

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011
                        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Here's a set (and a vendor) that enjoys my hearty endorsement.

I originally found this shop through their blemished combination squares (a great deal).

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'll add myself to the list of Grabit fans. They're awesome!

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

This thread jinxed me. Have not had to deal with a broke off screw/bolt in years. This morning I was removing the motor to my powermatic table saw looking for a mysterious rumble when the saw powers off. Putting it back together the 1/4-20 bolt for the motor mount pivot shaft broke off when tightening it. It was a clean break and did not appear to be a hardened bolt. A quick drill out and tap in a reverse thread extractor quickly eased out the remaining piece. Now if Pappys photo shoot thread will not jinx me. I can stand a broken fastener a lot better than a butt-light.
                            Photos of screw extractors, and the bottom tool is a 3 fluted broken tap extractor. May you never need one!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

Correction
                              Dang jinx still at work, photo is upside down, top tool is the tap extractor.

Comment

Working...