• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Pole saw recommendations?

I need a 15 - 20 ft pole saw for trimming a few rather high limbs. I have an 8ft pole with electric chain saw purchased back in 2000. It works fair but is way too short and of course too heavy on the end for a longer pole.

In reading reviews of pole saws, there seems to be a divide between the below $100 (bang for the buck) versus $200 models -Silky/Jamesons, (you get what you pay for). But sometimes I don't always trust Amazon reviews for some reason.

Anyone have some suggestions? The Silky also has an optional rope lopper? head that could be used on 2 inch limbs way up high. Not sure if this and a hign end pole saw will meet my imagination of what it can do.

This is something that I have needed for the trees around our house for years. I have seriously considered asking an aquaintance with a bucket lift to help but the prices he asks of others is outlandish. For me - No major limbs, just 3 inch or so that extend out over a roof and several limbs that are resting on a guy-wire stretched between non-electric utility poles that need to come down. The city won't cut them and neither will the electric company, who says that is not electric.

Suggestions and experiences for long pole saws? Aluminum or fiberglass?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have this Corona pole saw from Lowes, but it only goes to 14'.

I find the lopper part to be fairly worthless for anything over 1". It won't cut all the way through then it's a struggle to dislodge the pole. So predominantly I just use the saw. I use it mainly on a Norway spruce and most of the branches above 10' are over 4" thick so the lopper is just extra dead weight. Come to think of it, I'm going to see if I can't take that part off next time I do some trimming.

I think the saw blade is the most important part. I have a folding Corona pruning saw with teeth filed like a Japanese pull saw. Cuts through everything and is super fast. The saw on my pole saw is stamped steel. I am going to seek out a new blade for my pole saw that is more like my folding saw. Once you get the blade tracking in a groove, it's fairly easily, but if you can't get that track started because the blade isn't getting a good bite and skating around on your branch, then you end up wasting a lot of energy.

Obviously if you're working around wires, go for the fiberglass but it will be heavier.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      I have this Corona pole saw from Lowes, but it only goes to 14'.

Obviously if you're working around wires, go for the fiberglass but it will be heavier.
      I didn't go into detail on the part about the wires but that is where my real problem lies. Two limbs have been on it so long that they have grown around the guy-wire. Both limbs are about 3 inches in diameter and are about 15 ft up on the guy wires.

I live on a corner lot. The electric pole on my corner has a "T" wire going in the other direction from me. To keep that pole from leaning over the street, they added a guy wire that stretches across my property to a pole on the other side. The only thing on these poles besides the guy wire is a phone line.

You did bring up a good point to get fiberglass! That makes GOOD sense and will definately expand its usability!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I've got the weed eater version of the pole saw with several additional 3 ft add on poles. Since the motor is on the butt of the pole you wouldn't think it is that heavy, but it is. Standing on the ground I can comfortably cut limbs 10-12' high, standing in the back of the pickup truck adds another 3-4 ft. I'd never attempt using this contraption on a ladder. The cost was about $150, counting the poles. I had the pole saw, saw on a stick, it wouldn't reach this high and was a neck killer. If I had to do it again I'd rent, they would probably have longer poles and lighter equip.
        capncarl

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Silky saws are one of the best according to a tree trimmer friend of mine. I have yet to pull the trigger on one though.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I have some high branches I need to cut. Never even considered a pole saw. Thanks for posting your question.

I think I will look to rent one in the Spring. It's one of those things that I will only use a couple times and I really don't want to store it. If I was buying, I probably would lean towards the cheap end, so renting will get me access to better equipment.
            Joe

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I think this is the one I have:

If it will reach what you need to cut, I would highly recommend it. If it won't, I think the same manufacturer makes one a little longer. I bought it thinking I might have to return it for something better. I was wrong. The lopper is very handy for little stuff and not hard to use other than getting the limb in the cutter. Limbs the size of you thumb or a little bigger are easily cut with it. The saw is aggressive and will go through 3-4 inch limbs quickly. Don't let the price concern you, this is a well made tool. The handle for the lopper is a simple piece of plastic. But it is well made and easily moved along the rope to match the length of the pole. The plastic is think and it works well. The handle is fiberglass so it should be somewhat safe around wires. The key part is the blade. It works far better than I expected. Waste of money to try and get something electric that high in the air.

I bought it to take a lot of limbs off a neighbors brandford pear that hangs over the lot line. We had an addition put on and the tree was literally in the way of the framers. It is not now. The tree is so tall I couldn't get to the top but may use my 10 foot step ladder to get the rest. I later used it to take limbs off a couple oaks and big limbs off a cherry tree. I hauled several trailer loads of limbs off. All cut in a couple hours.

Comment

Working...