Clear All
  • Subrosa
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2014
    • UK
    • Record Power 250c

My woodwork projects

Hello there

My name is Kris and I just joined this forum and so I thought I would show what I have made so far, I've just finished a City & Guilds Level 3 in Furniture Making (this is a UK course so I don't know what that relates to in the US, it's not a degree though). When I started this course 18months ago I had never cut a joint in wood at any point in my life.

On the level 3 course we are allowed to choose our own projects (there are two personal projects) the only stipulation is the first must be a box/chest of some kind with dovetails and a curve resulting from lamination, steam bending or any other form of wood bending ie: airbag and the second project must be a chair of any kind.

I chose to make a blanket chest for my first project and a maloof inspired chair as my second. The chest took me so long that I ran out of time and had to rush the chair which I managed in about 13-14 days on an off, but I wasn't 100% happy with it, I will say most people loved it but I knew where I had failed, I'm sure most here or even all know what I mean.

(I apologize for the images, I wasn't sure about the best way to post them so I kept them to just two images and reduced their size.)

My next project is a Maloof chest of drawers and I am already on the hunt for info on that round over he produced with the housing joint (we call it a housing joint but I think you call it rabbit or something like that)

I look forward to seeing more inspiring projects and seeking advice in the future.

Kris
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Very nice, Kris!

That chest is a thing of beauty. The corner pieces are beautifully executed, and I the bottom drawer is a great idea.

I have seen a lot of Maloof's original work and I can tell you your chair is a wonderful homage.

Well done.
    JR

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Holy cow, man! You are here to show some of us up, are'nt you?

Those are beautiful artifacts! Steam bent, eh! Show us some of the dovetails too, if you can?

That chair does look like a heirloom already! Both of them do!

I had not heard of that course before, but they must really churn out grand professionals. Great work!
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Welcome Kris!

Very nice work. The chest is very stylish, and the chair is wonderful. Looking forward to seeing your other projects in work, and information on the techniques you use to layout, join, assemble and finish.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

I believe that here in the U.S. we call a "housing joint" a "dado".

You have produced two incredible pieces of art that I have never in my 50 years of woodworking ever attained.

Thank you for sharing! You have a wonderful career ahead of you.

Best of luck from an old wood butcher!
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Nice work! Thank you for sharing. I am not aware of a comparable woodworking course that is readily available here in the US, unless it is a specialty theme course offered by a unique organization. I wish there was.
            Feel free to ask all the questions you want because I know the members will use them to return lots of questions of their own.
            Capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

that's really very nice, I wouldn't mind seeing some detail pictures up close!

And, welcome to the forum!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Kris, you came out swinging! Nice stuff. Hope you continue to share your work.

Paul

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

:O You're too modest. Those look amazing.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

18 months and 3 courses? I think you have uncovered some hidden talents! both of those pieces are fantastic.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

Working...