• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

DIY camera jib / crane

Been doing a LOT of video work lately, and I have been wanting a Jib crane, but buying one, even a cheap one from Amazon, is a considerable expense... So I turned to the DIY route. I am not quite finished yet, but the initial build results look promising for my future videos...

Construction is cabinet grade ply of various thcknesses, aluminum pool poles, PVC and steel. It's a bit fugly, but all the important moving stuff moves the way it is supposed to. I am thinking this will get a coat of matte black spray paint, at least the brackets will before I start using it so that it does not impact the light getting to the camera...

Once I figure out the counterweight to it, I will do a sample video and snap some pics to share with y'all as well as do a full build write up.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Care to give a commercial example of what you are trying to do?

I recently built a macro stand for working with closeups and light tents. - required a bunch of counterweights. and a cantilevered, articulated camera mount.
    Most macrophoto stands are for taking flat items from straight above.
    I have yet to test it out though.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I am building my own implementation of this guys build... Mine differs in that I used a plywood base with a brass thread insert to mount to the tripod.

It's considerably heavier than I anticipated, but I am sure it will do what I want it to do...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...