Custom "header" board and guitar hangers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Custom "header" board and guitar hangers.

As you may, or may not know, I am remodeling what had previously been a guest bedroom, and combining function. It is the smallest bedroom in the house and as we move through the house remodeling it, well this one is next...

This room will serve as a combined home office / studio / music room, so along with the office and recording gear, we will be housing our instruments. And again, I mentioned this is a small room right? Like 10x10 with an 8' ceiling... Anyway, I need to house the following.

1 Full size digital piano. Same width as a standard upright piano, just not as tall or deep.
    4 full scale electric bass guitars.
    1 full stack bass amp rig (2 2x10s stacked vertically).
    1 2x12 guitar amp.
    1 electric guitar
    1 Electric accoustic guitar
    3 Accoustic guitars.

So obviously, given the purpose of this space, floor oriented guitar storage would be a VERY poor use of space. I need to go up. But I also need trustworthy secure means to hang the guitars. (FWIW, not all are mine, my BIL has several as well as my wife).

I haven't measured exactly how far off the floor it needs to be, but the hangers for the 2 existing basses need to be exactly 7" higher than they currently are in order for the instruments to clear the top of the stacked bass amp.

To solve several problems with the install, not the least of which I want something solid that can take load instead of drywall, I will be installing a 1x6 header board of sorts, 10' long each way. This will have the boards overlapping on the edge, but I will be cutting a 45 degree bevel to them. Oddly enough the walls are square, so I should actually get a good match up... The idea is this...

#1. Make the most accurate measurements I can, and measure again to insure I am not going too long. We are going around 3 walls with this. The 4th wall won't be able to...
    #2. Make the bevel cut on the mating ends.
    #3. Route a small relief of the outside edges of the boards, maybe a 1/8" roundover will do. I don't want a hard edge.
    #4. From scrap, make 3x2 mount blocks, drill pilot holes with countersinks for mount screws, and pilot hole for guitar hangers. Mount thread insert for guitar hangers.
    #5. Using 2.5" wood screws, find studs, find proper height, level and install header boards such that they wrap at the same height evenly around the 3 walls, given the previously but not yet determined height.
    #6. Install guitar hanger mount blocks...
    #7. Paint walls main color, paint header boards and guitar hangers to match trim (bright gloss white).
    #8. Install guitar hangers to blocks.
    #9. Hang guitars and basses.

Then...
    Proceed to play in too small a room with too big of an amp...
    Forget to turn main volume knob down.
    Watch flakes of drywall texture fall off of the ceiling...
    Turn volume down.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Did you consider a french cleat type of setup? That would allow you to adjust the location of the guitars anywhere along the wall. Of course, based on the number of instruments you listed, maybe you just want to put hangers everywhere on the length and see how many you fill up.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I had considered a french cleat system, however I am concerned the hanger / mount block itself wouldn't weigh enough to keep from flipping off of the cleat every time I, my wife or BIL picked up an instrument...

I just realized / remembered the hangers I have already have mount blocks...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Biolite
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2014

It sounds like a solid system for wall hanging. How close are you going to hang all these guitars? I have mine hung on every other stud currently and don't know if I could get/want them much closer. I would have to stagger their height if I was to hang another in between.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Probably hang the 1x6 this weekend.

The reasoning behind this is to allow me to put my instruments anywhere I had room, and not be constrained by where the studs were. I could go with drywall anchors, but one of the accoustics is Signature model, not a super high end piece by any means, but my wife is fond of it, and 2 of the basses are either custom by me, or somewhat rare / hard to replace, so I don't want any damage from a wall anchor pulling out...

Some of the quoted instruments are future expansion. For example, I was counting a Fender Jazz bass I do not yet own... And my BIL comes and goes with his guitars depending on his travels...

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Installed on the first wall of 3 today.... It's level, but apparently my ceiling is not...

Got the hangers up. The bass now clears the amp stack no problem...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have the second 1x6 up, and the 3rd ready to go. I am making "nudge" adjustments as I go... My BIL is finally starting to migrate out of my house, and on his own two feet, so 2 of the accoustic guitars are gone... No need to worry about them. So 1 remaining BIL accoustic, a Yamaha, and my wife's Urban accoustic / electric (I know, she wanted it, I can't say no. Not as awful as you'd think, but I wouldn't recommend it!).

The spacing is I have one wall with 2 doors, I have a bass on the wall segments between doors and adjoining walls, and the wall segment between the doors.

There is another wall with one door, 24" from the adjoining wall, that will receive another hanger, the remaining bass will go there, on the other side of the door, the accoustic and accoustic electric will be hung.

The remaining wall, with a window, will house adjoining the wall with the basses, the electric guitar. (Squier HSS Stratocaster), and I will have a space for an accoustic on the other side of the window.

The guitar amp has been sold to raise some revenue, and mostly to free up funds for a newer, smaller model. I don't have any need for a 2x12 100 watt guitar amp... Wanting to grab a 1x12 Fender Champion...

Anyway, this weekend is going to be work on the car, and work on the development site, so I probably won't get much done in this remodel room. I do intent to stagger pegs along the hanger board to hang things like headphones, instrument cables etc... and soon, hopefully VERY soon I will be painting this room, doing flooring and finishing the build out!

Comment

Working...