if you had a laser cutter, what would you do with it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

if you had a laser cutter, what would you do with it?

We just got an Epilog laser cutter at work. My boss is all about us using it so we can find new applications. Even if it's for non-work stuff, he's cool with it. I don't remember the wattage but from prototypes the main user is making, it can cut at least 3/8" plastic.

I do plan to make a wood gear clock at some point, but I need to start small. What kind things--shop related or not--would you attempt? I've been thinking about router guides for bushings.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Due to my non woodworking needs at the moment, I would design and build, using that laser cutter, certain bracketry required to complete my...

#1. Camera boom crane / jib build.
    #2. Camera slide track and dolly build.

I'd think a laser cutter would be ideal for putting the perfect sized, shaped, and located holes in the various brackets and plates that would constitute the components for such builds. And just about any other small run specialty manufactured item.

I would likely also use it to make the brackets required to make a tablet holder for a microphone stand. Sort of a tablet based teleprompter...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

What type of materials can this thing cut and min/max sizes? Plastics only? Wood? Soft/thin metals like brass?

How about making new SMT plastic guide pieces?

If it has enough lengthwise capacity, custom dovetail templates for router jigs so one could get custom dovetail spacing with the simpler (i.e. non Leigh) jigs.

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

It can etch metal, but not cut them. A lot of people engrave their name or design on iPhone
        cases and computers

Here's what our CO2 laser can do.

Laserable materials that can be used with Epilog's Co2 and Fiber laser system.

From other sources, it can cut up to 1/4" wood and 1/2" acrylic.

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

I have access to an Epilog and I've made small parts for hobby use -- cutting thin balsa or thin plywood. Items I've made could have been cut using hand tools, but are a pain, and the laser provides the ultimate in precision. Plus it is so fast, if you have to have multiple similar items. I've also cut acrylic parts, such as clear panels for bird feeders.

For my shop, I cut a bunch of sacrificial push plates for my GRR-Ripper push blocks. I made some out of acrylic (the originals are plastic), and some out of thin veneer-covered MDF. I like the latter better.

I have neither a CNC router or laser at home, and having used both at a shop of a friend, I think I'd lean toward a laser as a first purchase for my own shop. But both are very addicting!
          Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by lrr
            I have neither a CNC router or laser at home, and having used both at a shop of a friend, I think I'd lean toward a laser as a first purchase for my own shop. But both are very addicting!
            What wattage is that Epilog? I got the 5 cent tour today. Ours is 50W. The user said he can cut up to 1/2" acrylic, but he has to do multiple passes. What thickness wood were you able to cut?

What do you use for the drawing? Ours is connected to a laptop running Corel draw which is new to me. Have you printed from PDF?

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Maybe you could make some mousetraps.
              Brian

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Brian G
                Maybe you could make some mousetraps.
                Hardy, har, har!

Actually, I wish I could tie the motion detection feature of my web cam with the Epilog's 50W laser and burn those little buggers to death!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by I saw that!
                  And if I didn't need my right arm: sweet!

James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
                  Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                    What wattage is that Epilog? I got the 5 cent tour today. Ours is 50W. The user said he can cut up to 1/2" acrylic, but he has to do multiple passes. What thickness wood were you able to cut?

What do you use for the drawing? Ours is connected to a laptop running Corel draw which is new to me. Have you printed from PDF?
                    I think it is a 75W laser. It was pretty old, and hard to find info on it. I never cut any wood thicker than 1/4". It was either balsa, plywood, or hardwood-veneered MDF. For acrylics, I did some signs that needed mounting holes. We originally tried using the ShopBot, but found the chipping to be problematic, and slow. The laser was fast and holes were beautiful. The signs were 1/4" thick, but most of my personal stuff was 1/8" or 3/16". I bought scrap acrylic dirt cheap by the pound at a local plastics company. Lots of colors and thicknesses, and some pretty large pieces.

I used Corel Draw. It was new to me, and felt odd at first, but I quickly found that it was pretty easy to use, and I got to like it quite a bit. We printed the .cdr files. I never tried using PDFs.
                    Lee

Comment

• Shep
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Columbus, OH
                      • Hitachi C10FL

Since I've been thinking about dust collection, I would probably try to cut up some pieces for blast gates. Also might try a Zero clearance throat plate for my table saw.

Or, maybe try something harder like those router table dovetail jigs that are advertised in wood magazine. Some cool patterns for sure.

-Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Neal
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
                        • Ryobi BT3000

If I had one, I would attach it to the head of a pet shark, and then I would continue my plan to hold the world hostage for one Million Dollars.

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

A few more ideas came to mind this morning. One was similar to Shep's about the templates: finger joint jigs for miter gauges. Have the laser cut a pair of notches - one for the blade, one for the reference finger - and slotted holes for attachment screws to the miter gauge. It'd be easy to lay out several different finger thicknesses making a stack of finger joint jigs. In theory the laser could also cut the reference fingers to be glued into the templates!

Since the laser should be able to cut very precise angles: 90 degree triangle for those picture-frame style miter crosscut sleds... and various other angles like 45 or 22.5 deg. I could use a 22.5 deg sled right now for a project! Angled blocks for hand plane shooting boards too. I have 90 and 45 deg right now... and might have to make a 22.5 deg "donkey's ear" style board this weekend.

Setup blocks for various things. Especially things like lock miter router bits that need a different adjustment for various workpiece thicknesses. You could cut out a set for workpieces in 1/8th in increments for example.

Saw blade angle reference blocks. You'd probably have to stack several thin boards to make something wide enough to do the job but it'd be easy to include 1/8th or 1/4inch wide reference notches along the bottom edge for an alignment shim to make sure all the pieces stayed in alignment during glue-up. Or have it cut dowel holes for alignment purposes. Then make angles for exactly 90, 45, 22.5, 67.5 (=90-22.5), etc. Any common angle needed for crosscuts or bevel cuts. Replace that Wixley angle gizmo!

Custom-fit cutouts for tool storage. Instead of tracing various tools (like calipers) and trying to cut a 1/4 inch deep depression to make tool organizers, have the laser cut a precise hole for the tool in 1/4 inch thick material that can then be glued to another substrate board.

Tired of the standard 1" spacing on shelf pin jigs? Make your own spacing! For whatever size shelf pins you like: 1/4 inch, 5mm, larger diameter wood dowels, etc.

Custom fonts & sizes for router sign-making templates. And you could make them interlock the way Rockler's latest kit does, and include some proportional spacing and kerning details too - i.e. a single template that has "fi" so the "i" is tucked under the "f" like in books. You'd be able to make special symbols not present in typical kits: a family crest, the hand "okay" symbol (thumb to forefinger in a circle, other fingers raised - know what I mean?), Greek letters, etc. Numbers too in whatever font/style you like so you can make your house unique from the neighbors.

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Some good suggestions.

It dawned on me this morning that I've been meaning to get custom wood medallions made to inlay into my projects. Now I just need to design a logo and do it.

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

I'd cut lasers, of course!

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment